I created a Wyze Garage Door Opener

So, this was actually a pretty simple thing once I got the Wyze Plug.

I took an Enclosed Power Relay, some 18/2 Thermostat Wire, and a Wyze Plug.

That’s it.

Here’s what you have to do:

Disclaimer I’m not responsible if you break something

• Disconnect all power to your opener preferably at the breaker box

• Take the relay and connect the ends to the “Normally Open & Common” connectors. If you get the relay I have it is very plainly labeled on the bottom.

• Connect the other end of the brown thermostat wire to the same connectors that your wall button is connected to. (What we are actually doing with this set up is emulating a button press)

Quick Side Note: if your door is Security 2.0+, then you have to connect the relay terminals to either a push button switch connected to the door, or to a remote. I have an older opener so can’t help if you have one of these newer models.

• Now set up your Wyze plug using the Wyze App.

• Plug the relay into the wyze plug

• Now, at this point you can give power back to the garage and you’re good to go! But you have to make sure that the power to the plug goes off after it is either fully opened or closed. I did this using a rule in the Wyze app that if the plug has been on for 30 seconds turn it off.

All done with the opener. But it doesn’t do you any good if you don’t know if it’s opened or closed.

I used some ribbon, and the contact sensors for this one. I think the pictures will show you what I mean better than I can explain it. I put them over on the reddit thread I made here:

This is probably the first time I’ve written anything DIY like this so if I missed something or didn’t explain well please let me know!

List of parts:

• Enclosed AC/DC Power Relay with Protection & De-Bounce

• 18/2 Thermostat Wire

• Some Spare cloth/ribbon

• Some glue/hot glue

• Wyze Plug

• Wyze Sensors

8 Likes

Thank you

Hello DaisyLee
Very nice application of two products working together.
I have seen in WYZE forum your garage door open/closed contact sensor implemented with a strap hinge in place of the ribbon.