How to STOP auto-update firmware on V3 cam?

Security especially with something that connects to outside servers requires updates. If you don’t want to deal with that then install rtsp firmware or something like that and don’t use the Wyze app and block the cam ip address on the router from outside connections.

Not updating and allowing that thing to have outside access is never a good way to go.

Unless I understand and am willing to accept that risk. With the cameras behind my router/firewall there is zero realistic chance that anything but a compromise of the Wyze back end services or Wyze-contracted P2P services could possibly compromise my cameras - they can’t be reached otherwise. All updates until this one were opt-in.

Anyway, my bad camera has recovered although it was out again this morning. I already apologized. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Toose it in trash and get another 1 theres so cheap

right toose them into the trash and never get another wyze product again.

I was not aware that an autoupdate function existed either for cameras or any Wyze device firmware. Is this a setting in the App? I am also not aware that any of my 50 Wyze devices received firmware updates without me tapping the selection in the App.

If you are on newer firmware it might not have even happened to you. Wyze announced recently that some people who still had really old firmware would have more recent firmware pushed to their cams to make sure they would support their latest security options. So if you had fairly recent firmware on your cams already you probably didn’t get a push. If you had really old firmware on your cams then they would’ve just pushed the update and most people probably won’t really notice a difference anyway since they’ll appear to function fairly similar to how they have been, it’s the back end stuff that’s a little different. The only exception off the top of my head would be if you had the old Person detection AI firmware from XNORai on the cam from a couple of years ago (like Customer had) and now suddenly that’s not on there. MOST other people won’t notice a huge difference. Auto-updates like this will probably be rare, there are no settings to select it for automatic update, it was just a necessary push for the cams to be capable of their new security updates.

Aha. My firmware is usually one version behind the latest offering, never many versions earlier.

1 Like

Makes sense, you probably didn’t even get a push then because you’re basically up to date :+1:

1 Like

Im just saying if out of warranty then tosse it,we currently have over 90 + cameras with no issues at any locations, some are over 2 years old.

This update may have been for an issue that really was critical. It came out a short time after a user reported seeing cameras in the app that did not belong to them.
It’s possible those cameras were on old firmware, and changes to networks and internet settings exposed unsecured cameras to the internet, and if so, someone who wanted to and knew about the vulnerability could have viewed any and all cameras with the old firmware that were connected enough to be remotely updated.
Maybe they could have offered an opt out, with you absolving them of responsibility, but would that have stood up in court if you sued after you found someone used their free view of your camera to steal from you or worse?

Could you please point to that report? There have been occasional similar red herrings over the years.

I’m on 4.36.0.280. The last version before you select blocks for detection. This version detection works much better. Anyway I keep the firmware on the SD card and when they auto update I just unplug, hold the setup button, plug back in till the light turns purple to restore to the version that works best for me.

I open a case about this sent logs and video. Engineering may look at it but I’m doubtful.

1 Like

That’s… pretty clever! Are you still able to use that card for camera recording?

Yes set as continuous recording, works fine.

1 Like

At least they updated yours, I’ve been stuck with an error 90 for about two weeks with no update

Do a warranty replacement at Wyze

Really should not be recommending warranty fraud

3 Likes

Yeah, it would be too easy to get caught doing this anyway, since Wyze can see how long the MAC address was active in their servers, so if you buy a new camera then a week later return one that was active for over a year or several months (so obviously not the one that you just bought), that could be grounds for criminal charges when/if the MAC address is looked up once it is returned back to the company.

Honestly, I find Wyze has always been really reasonable with support issues I’ve had. I’d just call up their support and tell them what errors your having and they’ll walk through the whole process to figure out how to resolve it. Worst case scenario if the standard trouble-shooting doesn’t fix it, they can walk a person through flashing it to a different firmware or something. And if it’s been owned under a year they might even simply replace it. I’d just ask them. Much easier to handle things that way, they’ve been pretty reasonable in my experience as long as I am willing to go through all their tests first.

Just tell what others have done,theres no fraud,its still wyze

Just because others have done it does not make it right.

2 Likes