How to remove microphone?

Hi. I do not want an active microphone in any of my cameras. Easy way to physically remove it?

I do not trust a toggle switch to prevent others listening into my home!

4 Likes

Look at some teardown videos and some pictures. I believe the microphone is connected to the circuit board by a plastic plug which should be easy to undo.

Thanks so much! I decided today was the day I would try to paint the case matte black.

I did a bang out job cutting 2 nearly perfect circles and did the back pretty well, too. But, yeah, my painting technique looks like a 4 year old did it on a bad day.

I don’t understand why the manufacturer has such a problem with matte black and omitting microphones…hmmmm.

Here is someone who physically removed the microphone from the camera:

Here is a wishlist item to VOTE for control over the audio in the live stream:

Here is a wishlist item to VOTE for control over user permissions (you wouldn’t want to turn off the live stream’s audio, only to have the person you are sharing the stream with turn it back on!)

4 Likes

Dont share it with here. Sign in under your original account name on her device. I had this same issue but now we both have the exact same controls.

Has there been any progress or company information on the hardware switch or removal of the microphone in the Wyze Cam v2? On live stream the camera located outside on my patio can pickup conversations in the house??!!
Thanks

Hi, @GC2019. Welcome to the community! Not at this time. This topic will have to go from "maybe later to “researching” before we see any progress towards this request. See Wishlist thread below:

Edit: You can vote for this at the top left of the thread.

4 Likes

Hello StopICU33 and thanks for the reply. Seeing the delay in adding the feature from the threads I physically removed the microphone. I want to use and experiment with the v2 camera’s usage without the privacy issue and the price made the choice possible. Can not implement a security system until the possible upgrade. I do not consider a software update acceptable and cannot find a physical on/off jumper or switch wishlist…
Thanks again!

1 Like

First post here on the forum. Not sure if bumping old threads is frowned upon (sorry in advance if it is).

We are going to be deploying Wyze cameras in some offices at work to supplement our “professional” Axis cameras. We are constrained to follow HIPPA regs so I cannot deploy cameras with built in microphones. It’s good to know I can physically disconnect the mics.

The Wyze cameras are going to be aimed out the office windows to capture the foot traffic we get in our parking lot.

Several teardown videos online show the necessary steps, but for those who want to do this and feel overwhelmed don’t.

It is essentially three screws removed (2 from the bottom, one that holds the board in place) and 2 plugs (speaker and wifi antenna).

I did 10 cameras in about 1 hour all told, and I am a clumsy buffoon. Just realize that the case snaps together and some required quite a bit of force to unsnap.

1 Like

pop the black face place off and but some silicone on the mic. just a idea.

Post 5 has the procedure for removing the microphone.

To remove it I can do it in 30 sec. By removing the black face plate. Use needle nose.

2 Likes

I found the videos for removing the mics. I think it would be easier to take a small drill bit and just drill into the mic hole. Im going to try that.

Mission accomplished. I took a small drill bit and drilled into the mic opening just below the lens. I actually kept the cam connected in live view and carefully drilled while saying “testing” and listening until the mic was damaged enough to no longer work.

Note, i monitored the app on my phone while doing the drilling. Note there is a short delay between when you say something and when you hear it repeated on your phone. Just take your time when drilling and testing. Also note there is a higher chance of wrecking the cam using this technique vs taking the cam apart and removing the mic. I was willing to take the chance. This way was very quick.
I was willing to take the chance since i was going to get rid of the cam if i couldnt shut off the sound. Deal killer.

Color I am not sure about but the microphone… Common sense tells me they like having accessibility capability if you understand what I am alluding to

1 Like

…gives you that warm feeling that they care about you… :upside_down_face: