How to Power source Wyze Cameras outside the house (newbee alert)

I’m sorry, I don’t know of any. There have been some ideas posted which mostly involve combinations of various components. You’d have to search the forum to find them.

I suggest waiting for the Wyze Outdoor Cam, which they’re working on now.

Used a 25’ cable with no issues if that helps

1 Like

I have encountered the same problem of non-fitting micro usb plugs. I used a bench grinder to slim down the plug. As the grinding proceeded, its shape was compared to the WYZE plug. Eventually it fit nicely. Use light pressure when grinding. Perhaps a small Dremal would also work; or paring down with a sharp knife.

It’s an awesome idea, also you don’t have to keep the light on, just use a Smart bulb.

1 Like

Hi mattnelson19456

I am considering getting a Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, White and read your post saying you connected it with a 25 foot cable. Is this a USB cable?

It does use a USB cable for power and I have 4 cameras that are connected to separate 25 foot USB cables. The cables that come with it are much shorter. I don’t think you should go much further than a 25’ cable though as you could start running into power issues.

1 Like

For mobile power I make use of my 350 watt solar setup on my RV. I bought my first V2 just for this purpose.

I installed USB sockets all over the place inside and out and use the cams for parking assist while moving and then point them in other directions when parked at campsite or back at home for security. These things are soooooo versatile

The WYZE cams were made for RV security I am sure because they work so well.

For continuous connection i set up my mobile phone hot spot to the same credentials so the cameras never lose connection or time as we drive away. When back home as soon as I turn the hot spot off they reconnect to the home wifi.

This RV like most sits outside our house the majority of the year the solar has never let me down.

The sound sensor picks up when the entry door handles is flipped and the alarm sensors really add peace of mind.

I just put some velcro on the base and stick them on a window ledge or any vertical or horizontal surface.

I never thought to look if there is a RV thread.
If this is not appropriate to this power source thread I will move it.

20190902_132037

Are there any flat power supply options i can purchase to power up the Wyze cam v2? Also for the pan version. I believe it requires a higher supply but comes with the same power plug which sticks out and is not flat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can replace your sockets with versions that include USB ports. Then you won’t need the power “brick” as the socket will have the converters built in. Just make sure that each port gets its own amperage and isn’t sharing with the other USB ports if any.

For the V2 camera you need a 1A power supply. For the Pan Cam, 2A.

If you search Amazon for Flat USB Wall Charger you will see lots of options. Most of these seems to supply 2.4A on both ports, so they should work fine.

Thank u!

Just ordered this - says the power will stay on even when light is off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9SDHRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

When the light bulb is off but the light switch will have to be on

I own and use this as well… Love it… Very convenient… It minimizes the hassle of getting power to a camera that is near an existing screw in light bub light source.

Bought this…works awesome for my outdoor pot light + Wyze Cam setup

Thanks

here is the items i bought to run power to my camera 100+ feet

5 Likes

How does it work?

I have used a large power bank 10,000 mah and it ran a camera for about 3 days while sitting on a fence. the solar part of the power bank pictured (i have one similar) does not charge from the onboard solar panel. they are just too small, can power the power LED and about it. anyway a good sized power bank is useful.

I pulled off a piece of sophet outside my garage then drilled a 3/4 inch hole through a header that I ran the usb cable through with no extension.

3 Likes