How to Disable Motion detection for Wyze motion detector (sense)

I will be watching this thread, since I would like to move my sensor to a different spot. That would require some type of on/off control, like you say though. For now, it’s by my keys. Lol

Create a rule that adds a shortcut (toggle) to turn off the camera when at home. The bridge connected to the camera still works along with all sensors connected to the bridge. I just double checked with my camera that has sense bridge to make sure. Walked into my garage, motion sensor saw motion, no event video created by garage Cam (which has my one and only bridge). Walked out the front door contact sensor opened, Alexa announced door was open, front yard motion sensor sees motion, front yard camera records clip.

As long as the camera with sense bridge is physically plugged in the bridge still works, when camera is turned “off” by the app it just gets put to sleep, still alive but asleep.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try. Thanks

In a similar vein, do you care whether the camera is recording when you’re at home? For the purpose of my answer, I’m going to assume that you don’t want to have the motion sensors detecting motion AND you don’t need to have the camera(s) recording/running/online when you’re at home.

If that’s the case, then I think the solution is simple: Use a one-touch Rule “shortcut” to turn the camera(s) off when you’re at home and another Rule to turn it/them on when you leave. If the cameras are off, then the motion detectors won’t be sending any “record” commands to the offline cameras. Or rather they will, but the cameras won’t be recording anything because they won’t be online.

Another forum member gave me the idea that I can still use sense contact an motion sensors even if the camera is off. I tested it and it’s true, even if the wyzecam is off, the bridge remains powered and all sense components continue to work. This is OK for me like this. I don’t need Wyze shortcuts, I consider them useless because I don’t see how to use these shortcuts automatically (you can trigger them only from the wyze app) They cannot be triggered them by using IFTTT or Alexa routines. So what I will do now is the following.
I use Alexa to arm my alarm system by saying a “leaving phrase”. This will trigger an “away” switch in Smartthigs, and IFTTT turns ON the wyze cam. When I come back home I say an “I’m back home” phrase to Alexa and things will go the other way around to turn OFF the wyzecam.
Too bad the Wyze Alexa skill is not capable of turning on off the wyzecam or sense sensors. As you can see due to the many limitations of the Wyze system, people have to find workarounds using multiple services

2 Likes

I use a location based IFTTT setup. It shuts thr camera down when I’m near, and turns it pom when I leave. I used life360 as the location finder instead of IFTTT, because it works better for accurate location finding.

Yes I’ve heard about the life360 service but I’am afraid it’s a paid service. Not sure if it’s available in Canada

I’m in the states and it’s free here. That’s a drag if it’s a paid service there. Good luck.

Similar situation to the OP with different use senaro,While it certainly seems the motion sensor in its current state does not have the means to be toggled on and off completely (saving battery life) without some hardware revision. The possibility to simply ignore a trigger event should be fairly easy to do in software (similar to ignoring a motion sensor alert currently available) along with adding some type of timer function to toggle triggers as active or ignore. I would love this functionality. Currently I use a bunch of motion sensors to turn on and off hallway lighting. There is enough natural light at certain time of the day to not need additional lighting so it would be nice to be able to schedule motion sensors (sence) to ignore or trigger. The capability would solve the OP’s problem along with mine. Additionally I have no need or desire to turn my cameras on or off on or off.

1 Like

You can use an an Alexa routine to only trigger lights during specified period in the day.

1 Like

Thanks kjay that’s the way I’m currently doing it at home. However I should have elaborated a little more. It would be nice to do it all in the Wyze app without adding an additional layer for multiple reasons. Two of my other sites don’t have Alexa deployed as there is no need, So another reason baked in functionality with the Wyze app would be nice. The fact that Alexa can do it with a skill is a pretty good indication that it can be implemented directly into the Wyze app with not much effort. I expect sooner or later they will get around to it.

1 Like

You should be able do it at your other sites without a physical echo device. Just set up the routine as you would at home and it should work so long as everything has an internet connection.

I do what you want by disabling the associated camera via IFTTT when anyone is at home. That in turn disables the sensor.

You’re saying “you disable the association of the camera” via IFTTT?
What do you mean by that? You mean turn off the camera via IFTTT?

1 Like

I used location based rules with ifttt and life360(for location) with wyze. When I come home, it triggers everything to shut off, motion sensor,camera, etc

The sense kit shouldn’t be affected when the Cam senses motion. It’s two different things. The bridge only uses the back of the Cam for power. It has nothing to do with the motion sensed by the sensors of a door is opened or not. If it does then Wyze has a serious issue.

Same issue here. I plugged my ceiling mounted workspace pan camera into a smart plug named “skycam”. When I am in the room with the pan camera whirring around following me, I ask “Alex” the smart speaker to turn skycam off. Every evening at 10 pm “skycam” is set to automatically power on. This gives me a blend of automatic control with an easy manual override whenever needed.

I couldnt tell you how to disable it, but maybe there is away to schedule the sensor to be in a downtime type status, or off. It would seem to me that Wyze would have that feature packed into the device and we have not found it yet. It could be called something else besides “power off”. I am sure that the Wyze developers would like to know about these ideas. This is how new content is created which is feedback from the field from the people who not only operate it but break them too. Keep trying with tech support. They have helped me with a pancam and even sent me a replacement free. I didnt ask for a new cam but they honored their warranty no questions asked. It can be stressful and painful but its worth the effort in the end.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Cheers!

Yes, so in other words you turn off the camera via IFTTT. Life360 is your choice.
My choice is Alexa voice command and Smartthings, because I don’t necessarily carry my phone with me all the time

I need this option/capability. To be able to ignore events from the motion sensor.

I have a contact sensor and motion sensor to trigger washroom lights.
If it senses motion it turns on the light and once motion clears it turns off the lights. But if the door is closed then I want to be able to ignore the motion clears event (mostly likely someone is in the washroom if the door is closed). When the door contact sensor is closed, it triggers the motion sensor events to be ignored, once the door opens the motion sensor events should be un-ignored.

1 Like