How to Change Cam Pan Default Home Position?

The only “solution” I got by trial and error is

1. Turn ON Motion Tracking, then Pan Scan ;
  2. Turn OFF Motion Tracking, then Pan Scan.

Doing this will make the cam stay @ the position you manually pan it to.
Otherwise the cam will go back to its HOME position in 30 seconds.

Looks like Wyze haven’t made any update regarding this feature, i.e. the camera will not stay in a manual position but going back to home position after 30 seconds. Wyze should give user the choice of having the cam to stay in any manual position.

3 Likes

Thanks, I really need to be able to choose a new home settings but I guess Ill have to wait for wyze to do so

If you want to set a new home position, go to “Camera Settings” → “Advanced Settings” → “Motor Controls” → “Pan Scan Settings” → “Set your waypoints” → , then you can add couple waypoints, but the waypoint selected before pressing “Save” will be the new home position.

2 Likes

And every time the camera is unplugged it forgets its home position and I forget how to reset it and I have to come back to this forum and read the comments again to reset it. Very counterintuitive.

2 Likes

Did anyone find a permanent answer to this I still have a camera that does this.

I use the app to set where I want the cameras aimed, but if the camera reset for any reason, and they seem to do this a few times a week, the aim returns to the default “home” (center of H and V pan).
I can manually set the H but that is not optimal, since for one cam that resting position is far to one side of the range I want to be able to pan.
I can not manually set the V since I need it pointing down (ceiling level mount) and don’t want it swinging an arc.
There should be a remembered setting in the camera that it returns to after a reset (hard or soft).

You can accomplish what you want in 1 of 2 ways. Either set your desired home position as the only waypoint on the camera under Advanced Settings motor controls. Or you can set a Detection Zone under Detection Settings. Either one will cause the camera to return to your desired position following a reset or power cycle.

5 Likes

This should be bumped up to the top if it is not because i was getting frustrated with the device going back to “home”… I just hope they get better with the tracking, because im getting tired of it locking onto my tv but i understand that is difficult

Did you try @rbruceporter’s suggestion? That is the best way to set a different default home.

1 Like

Go to Settings>Detection Settings>Detection zone. Set to on and use the controls to set the default position and the detection zone.

1 Like

Thanks, this seems to be working. My camera kept going back to the wall and getting stuck in that position.

1 Like

I turned on detection zone and it kept going back to default position so finally I went into motor controls and set 3 new waypoints “all to the same spot” then hit save after doing that it has not changed and I have nothing turned on other than detection zone.

2 Likes

Hi there…as stated by @rbruceporter, there are two ways to do this. I personally do not use waypoints and I also feel that this is approach is more involved than the other option.

I elaborate a bit more on what he stated:

To keep the camera at the desired position, you need to turn on and set a detection zone.
SETTINGS–>DETECTION SETTINGS–>DETECTION ZONE–>ON

At this point, you MUST use the directional controls below the footage window to point the camera to your desired position. You can also change the detection window if you wish but the key here is to change the PT to where you want to capture. This orientation is saved as default once you back out of the screen.

Once set, if you pan or tilt in ‘Live View’, the camera will return to the default location after 15 seconds.

7 Likes

Thank You!

Thank You!

THANK YOU!

After receiving all the latest firmware updates on 7/29/2020 the Pan Cameras seem to have lost their “HOME” positions. I went back and did the detection zone trick again and it fixed them.
Thanks!

You are most welcome…glad you are all sorted out!!

Thanks for pointing out the issue as I probably may not have checked that the position was changed. My detection zone was still there but the home position had changed. A bit annoying that this is necessary…I can only imagine someone with multiple PTZ cams.

This is one of the few non-intuitive things I’ve found in Wyze software. Additionally, the Home position should be independent of any pan/scan or detection settings: You should just be able to define the camera’s home position, and then easily return to that location by tapping a Home button.

It’s completely non-intuitive that you have to do this by creating a single detection zone, set where you want the camera’s default location.

Ugh.

1 Like

BTW, none of the methods in this thread work on my cam pan. There is a reset command in the app now, not clear what it resets, but after trying it, clearly doesn’t reset the home position.

Is anyone ever going to solve this? Its kind of pan camera 101 to have an easily set home position…

The only way I got it to save a home position is to turn on Detection Zone, pan the camera to the desired position, place a detection pixel and press Save … within the 15 seconds time gap before it would reposition. Save will now lock that position as Home. You can do this inch by inch until you reach the desired home position, then you can define you detection zone.

I can’t believe the WYZE software people has been unable to fix this for the past 3 years. Just add HOME set button feature.

1 Like

I agree about there being a setting to select a home position. But that would be asking a lot from Wyze… People have been asking them for black cameras for years and it still hasn’t happened yet so I wouldn’t hold your breath.