How To Become A Beta Tester

I heard from a lot of Canadians unhappy with wyze not marketing products in Canada but I’m pretty sure we had a Canadian in the doorbell beta group. Possibly he lived near the border and used a package storage service in the US. I have relatives in Canada not far from Niagara Falls who have a US address through one of those services. However, it only helps if you live near the border. Meanwhile it would nice if someone from wyze would explain why they are limited to the US.

I know there are cross border trade regulations, currency exchange and tax issues - but not sure any would affect beta testing, although they do ship hardware products and cross boarder shipping is expensive. I know certain things in truck load quantities require brokers which add costs as well, but not sure what would impact wyze. Hopefully someone from wyze will take the time to explain this. You guys deserve to know the reasons.

As someone who has shipped to customers in Canada I can tell you my experience and why I stopped. First off my products are not very expensive around $4 each. Shipping on just one small item that weighs less than 1 oz is $20. Most people are pretty good about it but some act as if I am pocketing the money. According to Etsy I have been losing an average of $0.02 on shipping but that is ok. That in of itself wouldn’t be too bad. However when I was shipping (this may have changed) I lost track of the package in the tracking system after it crossed the boarder. Most made it safely. A few though never made it. I then had customers acting as if I didn’t ship it even though the tracking clearly showed I did. I then had to deal with the hassle of the post office and filing claims or just ship another item.

The straw the broke my back was when I basically paid to ship someone another item. I did the math and it was not really worth it financially and it was for sure not worth the time, hassle and stress. I know I am not from Wyze but I bet it is those types of things that go into their decision making. And yes other companies have shown you can do it but it is the 80/20 rule of just going after the larger easier share of the market.

2 Likes

Agree. Those in Canada often do not understand. With our relatives, we learned long ago it’s just not worth trying to ship gifts. We now either send cash electronically or wait until we visit.

When I was working in Maine, we had customers in Canada, we were shipping tanker loads and they paid the shipping. But we had to pay a broker to transfer the shipment at the border which basically just required taking our BoL and stapling on some Canadian paperwork to it. I remember driving 5 hours to run some tests at a customer facility, truck with the materials got hung up at the border because we didn’t realize the testing materials had to go through the broker. Luckily it was not a busy period and I was able to stay extra nights at the hotel to get everything setup, but the project leader had a conflict and had to leave as scheduled so the actual test was delayed until he could return - it just adds to the frustration doing biz across the border.

1 Like

In most of the tested products I have received the shippers have marked them as beta products not for commercial use or sale and therefore valued them at 5$ or so and I assume that lowered their overall burden in sending beta items. They usually use fedex/dhl/ups and skip Canada Post cause they are a bunch of fools these days!! you cannot send a package within canada and trust that it will get to its destination and not get lost. These larger companies have volume discounts with shippers and get way better rates based on their sales within the USA so for the ODD Canadian shipment I would “assume” key word … that it would be worth the extra cost to get that feedback, and then just have them destroy the device if necessary or some of the companies have sent a label to ship the test object back to their beta warehouses to assure secure destruction before production. I guess I need to lobby the powers that be to make trade of this sort cheaper… maybe it will be, with Bidens view on re entering into the free trade agreement between us.

How do I leave Beta on my IOS devices ? Tia

A post was split to a new topic: Will Cam Plus distinguish a frog from a person?

@WyzeAndy regarding 2.22.16
How do I get BACK into Beta on Android?
For some reason it’s happened again.
I saw your message, went to the play store, said there was a new version, I loaded it, said success, still at 2.22.12.
Now that’s all I get at the play store even when I delete the app from my phone.

1 Like

I signed up for the beta, but my vacuum still is on 1.6.113. not sure if the beta for it is not rolled out to all beta testers or in missing a sign up step. I just need to sign up for the Android beta list right?

Not sure if this is issue but another member pointed out to me:

Account → About → Beta Program

Make sure you vacuum is selected here

2 Likes

That was it, thank you!! Can that be added to the beta instructions somewhere?

Hi Gwendolyn, My name is Mitch Bottema I’m a long time Wyze fan and a acid buyer. I’ve thought about being a beta tester in the past and I believe I would be goodI I am a retired navy veteran with a background in electronics. I started with your original cameras for something to tinker with. The only reason I haven’t even tried is because I’ve been too busy. I know have more free time to put into being a beta tester.
Let me know :slightly_smiling_face:
-Mitch

See post 1 above for the application process. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

is the facebook group gone or was i removed?

For software and firmware, there is still a facebook group: Wyze Labs Beta Testers | Facebook Since I don’t know your Facebook name, I can’t check if you are a member.

For hardware testing, all communication and applications to participate have moved over to Centercode. You can join here: New Member Sign-Up

4 Likes

@Big_B
The Facebook Beta group still exists, I am an Admin over there if you can DM me your Facebook name I can see if there is a problem with your account.

7 Likes

He’s a great admin and he stays on top of everything there. If you’re in software beta testing and you have a question he’s on top of a lot of the mysteries that are left to float. Oddly enough rather similar to how he is here!!!

3 Likes

Hi, New Cam V3 user here in France,

Had to import it via Amazon.com as even Amazon.fr don’t bother selling it

Strange as you are certainly classed as the best camera around

As I always beta test my software and hardware,

Can I do this with your camera?

I would also be interested in your Wyze Testing Portal, but maybe, being in Europe that’s a no no

Looking forward to hearing from you
Trevor

Here’s the link with info about beta testing: Become a Beta Tester – Wyze Labs, Inc.

I honestly don’t know if the beta app/firmware is available in TestFlight for iOS or Google Play in Europe. But it should be easy enough to try using the instructions in the link and see if it works.

For hardware testing, you would not be eligible in France as hardware test products are only shipped domestically.

3 Likes

@WyzeJasonJ

I’m at a complete loss. I’m on disability, but used to be a Quality Assurance tester fit multi million dollar labs, and IT program manager, Windows active directory architect for fortune 100 companies.

I was asked to join from the forum. I was selected for task light, and plug with bluetooth.
The plug with bluetooth was defective, reported the issue, did troubleshooting with team, never was sent replacement, nor much beyond all the usual try this, try that. Because it was defective the testing reports were answered but as unable to accomplish, etc. I tried everything I could to get help, felt left in the dark.

That was a years sgo. I’ve applied for opportunities within hours of announcements. I’ve updated my details, upgraded to fiber and saved money b in the process, using 6E wifi devices, gigabit enterprise switching, I’ve gotten no responses to applications since for dozen(s) and I’m never picked.

I’m on Facebook group, but didn’t know at gut time that using it was official and not violating NDA, which I take stoutly. and I just saw this thread again and thought would ask if I should give up.
I’ve been software beta, but the hardware is likely the only way I’ll be able to expand/ replace my gear. I live off 2k a month for 2.
Hope all is well, and let me know what I did wrong, or can do to expand my lines to assisting you.
I’ve got ideas on products, and I’m a shark at solving problems.
Cheers!

1 Like

From your description, it sounds like you are talking about the hardware test program… Only a small percentage of applicants for each program are selected. Don’t feel like you are being ignored. I also have never been selected for any of the test projects.

2 Likes