They may have removed polling to save battery life, or extended it beyond an hour.
As a test, I removed a battery from a motion sensor. After an hour the status did not change, even after re-running the app or pulling down on the list of devices to refresh.
However, I found there is a way to force an update, but it isn’t nearly as simple as I’d like to see:
- Go to the sensor’s Settings > Device Info screen. You see the current signal strength.
- Now change the state of the sensor (the sensor must transmit a state change for the next items to work).
- Now back out of Device Info screen 2 times to get back to the sensor’s main page.
- Now go back to the sensor’s Device Info screen.
- You should have a refreshed signal strength reading.
I tested this process using a motion sensor in and out of a rolled up piece of tin foil that was open on both ends. That 5-step process was the easiest I could come up with.
It would be much nicer if the app would allow you to force an update by doing something like pulling down on the device info screen, or touching the Signal Strength line.