How high should I mount the motion detector?

How high should I mount the motion detector?

the estimated range is about 26 feet. just mount it where it suits you best, be that so its hidden, or just out of eye view or if you need it to only reach a certain area.

1 Like

Well, I placed in on top of a door ledge that was about 8 feet high and it missed a lot. I lowered it to about 5 feet and it got everything. I would like to move it higher I just don’t know how high to go before it starts missing again. I can’t stick it in different places on the wall because you can only stick it once. So I was hoping someone would have an exact height for me.
This is a great cheap system for you house, but the instructions/documentation are very much lacking.

nope, you can stick it as much as you want. your savior will be 3M command strips. they are amazing. move them as much as you need.

keep in mind when you are mounting what the field of view of the sensor is. I apologize for the crudeness of the pictures.

so, the red lines ( not perfectly to scale ) are the field of view of the sensor mounted at about 7 feet. you mentioned that you got better results when you mounted it lower.

what might help you is to make a bracket that you can angle down. that way you can mount it high and still get the field of view you want without sacrificing the height you want. the yellow lights are roughly what you would have if you mounted it at that same height but were able to mount it angled down. thus capturing more of what you want but at that height. its not really about the perfect height you are looking for but the angle of the field of view for the situation you are monitoring.

I actually made a bracket that fits this description and has the ability to angle.

check out that thread, maybe its something you can do that might solve your problem, and could be mounted with screws or the 3M command strips.

1 Like

Thanks Bam, Very helpful. I will try to angle it down somehow. Thanks for the drawing.

1 Like

I posted this yesterday… I have a stairwell and landing that needed an adjustable angle mount… works great.