How does the Video doorbell integrate with Google Home?

Wyze does not sell chimes for the doorbell. The teeny chime that came with the video doorbell may be enough for a condo apartment. Not for a large, detached home. I miss callers at the door if I am not in the vicinity of the chime.
Can I get the doorbell to connect to my Google Home devices? Mini, Hub? So they ring or notify me when the doorbell rings?

4 Likes

At present, the VDBv1 does not integrate with Google Home or Alexa. This is currently pending certification for addition into the next Firmware Update.

I have my VDBv1 set up for VOIP calling to my phone with an earth shattering loud custom ringtone. I am never without my phone and I can hear it from 3 counties over.

Yes… the chime is pertnear useless unless you are sitting right beside it.

1 Like

oh… this is a good one… [Mod Edit] marketing saying it would work just fine on google home hub and a year after release, it still doesn’t. I feel jipped -_-

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

I don’t recall seeing the VDBv1 being marketed as compatible for integration on Google Home or Alexa devices. I was aware of that when I bought mine. Most of their other cams do integrate, but not the doorbells.

This is because of technical issues with the aspect ratio of the image being displayed on those devices. The doorbell cams have an image that is much taller and not as wide as standard cam images. They had problems in the past because it rotated the image 90 degrees and was viewed sideways. They are having the same issue now with the Live Webview integration and that is their own coding.

If you have a screenshot of the marketing material claiming the doorbells are compatible pls post it. Would be good to present to Wyze with a WTH?

1 Like

OP never mentioned VDBv1 in his post . To further your point though, the average consumer doesn’t know what VDBv1 is and I therefore doubt WYZE would even mention it on the packaging at your local bigbox store. So whether that specific tech was mentioned or not is rather mute.

However what ZYME does claim is Google Home Integration. I for one was sold on that. I then added it to my Google home application and seemingly now I can do absolutely nothing with it. I would love ZYME to elaborate on what they actually expect a user to do when its connected to Google Home (although I doubt they will).

Not sure why you mentioned aspect ratios of video, Again, OP mentioned the doorbell chime not video. It seems he, like many others would simply like the doorbell to ring on every Google Home enabled speaker that’s in the house. That doesn’t seem too difficult to solution.

I too feel mislead.

This was inferred by their description of the Chime that the VDBv1 uses. The VDBPro does not use that chime which would not be referred to as “teeny”.

The original Video Doorbell (VDBv1) and the Video Doorbell Pro (VDBPro) are packaged in distinctly different packaging and do have the model number listed on the packaging. Point being moot or not.

WYZE does claim Google Home Integration with the WYZE ecosystem. However it is not inclusive of every device on either side of the aisle or every function. It is a general assertion that is continually evolving.

For example, here is my VDBv1 compatibility w\ Google Home which does stream.

Because the OP specifically asked, at the time, about why there was a connection (understood as streaming) issue, which has since been fixed. The problem was with the video rotation since the doorbell cams are actually recording sideways in their native orientation but the video is rotated 90° so you can view it. Here is a reference to the OP’s mention of this:

If you feel mislead, I would suggest leaving that in a product review of the doorbell, whichever version you have, on the Wyze Product Website.

That screenshot of your phone looks like Google home app, is that new Google home beta? Current version of Google home can’t see video feeds from Wyze

That is the Google Home Production app running on Android 11 with whatever the App version # was in December. It is not the Beta.

Here it is on Google Home Android App 2.63.1.12 today:

All the cams I have will stream (V3, PanV1, VDBv1, V3Pro, PanV3, OG-S, OG-T), you just have to ask in a really polite voice.

Just Kidding, not really. :grin: But you do have to specifically ask it.

NOTES:

• Does not stream by clicking the cam from within Google Home. This is a Google $$ restriction forcing you to buy a Google Smart Display or a Chromecast.
  • Does not work with Google Assistant voice command. Only the Voice Command mic button from within the Google Home App.

I have only been able to get it to work in the Google Home App by using the Voice Command at the bottom of the Home page and telling it “Show me the {cam name}”. There are other phrases that work like “Who’s at the {cam name}” or “Start the {cam name}”. The app will then launch the stream viewer. :shushing_face: Don’t tell Google. I suspect that it is a loophole back door they never closed.

Here is a post from back in June when I discovered it that discussed this in the Wishlist topic. Read down the thread for additional posts.

The only cam I am having an issue with is the V3Pro. I suspect it is because of its 2K stream. It looks like this:

I guess you’re the lucky one! (Or chosen one :grin:)

Here’s my screen, same method like you suggested, Android 13, same Google home app version like yours:

1 Like

Is that the Wired V1 or the battery Pro?

I have wired doorbell v1 and cam v2.
Both not streaming on phone, v2 however can be streamed on nest hub 2 and Google TV, just not doorbell

1 Like

I can’t speak to the nest hub or the Google TV as I have neither.

Perhaps the app stream issue is due to the OS version difference and the Google Home App build \ plugging version for that OS version. :man_shrugging: They may have closed the back door in newer OS versions.

Note I am on the Moto OS build of Android 11. Each brand has their own custom OS build which also may play a factor.

1 Like