Homekit running thanks to RTSP

Made some progress here. Removed ffmpeg that I’d installed via npm, tried, then removed ffmpeg installed via homebrew, and just downloaded the sources and compiled ffmpeg from scratch. I now get the snapshot image on my phone, but video still won’t stream due to libx264 not being compiled with ffmpeg. Attached is the log. My other issue is that my config.json only presents one of my three Wyze cams to HomeKit, even though all 3 are in the config file. It seems to be a valid json file, but I’m sure that I have a structure problem (nesting?) there. Thanks for any helpconfig (4).pdf|attachment (19.9 KB) [7:2:2019, 8:26:24 PM] Homebridge is running on po.pdf (26.0 KB)

Finally got it working! Now to tackle getting all 3 cameras to register, instead of only one.

1 Like

Congrats! Sorry I haven’t been much help. I haven’t had a lot of time to mess with it the past few days. If you don’t mind sending your config.json to my email, I’ll be glad to look over it and see if I can help. I have 3 cameras running on mine, so I know it can be done. LOL. Happy 4th of July!

1 Like

How hard would this be to setup on a Rasperry Pi 4? Keep in mind I have very little programming experience but I can follow directions! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Got all cameras working - it turned out that I needed to rename the cameras, for some reason, in order for HomeKit to re-register them… Happy 4th of July to you and to all in this community. I plan to write this up & post what I did - it was the long route, but might help others to understand what is going on with this setup.

2 Likes

I recently tried adding my two V2 cams using this method and I managed to get them to show up in the home app but both are stuck on no response. Any suggestions? Below is my config. I have other platforms above and below this section.

{
“platform”: “Camera-ffmpeg”,
“cameras”: [
{
“name”: “Garage Wyze”,
“videoConfig”: {
“source”: “-re -i rtsp://Name:Password@/live",
“maxStreams”: 2,
“maxWidth”: 640,
“maxHeight”: 360,
“maxFPS”: 10
}
}
]
},
{
“platform”: “Camera-ffmpeg”,
“cameras”: [
{
“name”: “Garage Kitchen”,
“videoConfig”: {
“source”: "-re -i rtsp://Name:Password@
/live”,
“maxStreams”: 2,
“maxWidth”: 640,
“maxHeight”: 360,
“maxFPS”: 10
}
}
]
},

bernardinomike3, what worked for me was to change the source line from “-re -i rtsp://” to “-rtsp_transport tcp -re -i rtsp://” . Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks the “-rtsp_transport tcp -re -i rtsp://…” worked for me and I can now see the camera in HomeKit.

1 Like

It seems like your PDF on Reddit is out of date. I followed thru it and the RTSP part doesn’t really follow Wyze’s latest update. Basically, RTSP is already up to date and I don’t need to manually update it. Anyway, my point is, I can’t get any of this to work because I think I’m following old instructions. Also, I’m way new to this. I bought a Raspberry Pi Zero W yesterday and this is my first foray into this territory. I’m no programmer and I’m clearly showing my ignorance here. Perhaps a YouTube video would help? @computerwhizdd

now works for me too.
thanks

Did you use rasp:// or RTSP://…? I can seem to get it to work with the transport segment.

Auto correct got me on that one. I used RTSP. Sorry. I edited my post and corrected it for future viewers.

Everyone should take note that once you revert to the RTSP firmware there won’t be any feature updates to this branch of the firmware. I hope they add the RTSP feature to their normal firmware. (I get the feeling not very soon).

1 Like

I was able to successfully integrate the Wyze cam into HomeKit. As mentioned before, I get an image of the camera, I can click onto the video feed, but there is no live camera feed; just what seems to be a still photo. Any suggestions on resolving this issue?

2 Likes

I was able to get it to for a short while using the RSTP firmware and Homebridge . Unfortunately it quit working and when I set it to debug I am getting an FFmpeg exited with error code 1, whatever that means. It did consistently work with VLC but not with HomeKit. I have now reverted back to the original firmware and have given up on getting it working with HomeKit once I found out that using the RTSP firmware prevents you from getting new features on the cam.

1 Like

i honestly don’t know how well a pi zero would handle ffmpeg. His tutorial is pretty detailed and still applies. I don’t know what you mean by “RTSP part doesn’t really follow Wyze’s latest update. Basically, RTSP is already up to date and I don’t need to manually update it.”

You still have to flash the RTSP firmware from Wyze, as it’s not included in their main software branch. Other than that its really as simple as installing the things he mentions in the PDF, adding text to your config and you should be good to go.

1 Like

Did you just install the FFMpeg homebridge plugin? You have to install both ffmpeg and the plugin.

Run “sudo apt-get install ffmpeg”

1 Like

If you have more than 1 camera, the RPi Zero W doesn’t have enough horsepower to do the job…

Hello
I was able to set up my Wyze Cam pan and HomeKit
And I see the photo in my home but when I press the photo to see the live view it’s not working , what do you think is the problem? It looks like there’s no connection Aldo I see the still image updated

Could be the camera can’t transmit on the 2.4GHz network reliably enough to maintain the stream.
Could be your computer isn’t using hardware decoding and can’t keep up with processing the stream.
Could be you have bad parameters to ffmpeg.

Really hard to say exactly.