Homekit running thanks to RTSP

rtsp

I have all 4 of my Wyze Cams in Apple HomeKit now thanks to RTSP support in the newest beta! Thanks Wyze Team.

5 Likes

how did you get this running? Are you running a Homekit server to bridge Wyzecam to Homekit?

0 Likes

Yes, running Homebridge on a spare MacBook Air that I no longer use for anything else but it can also run on a Raspberry Pi.

0 Likes

Hey! I wanted to thank you for posting your guide on Reddit. I’m ordering a spare Wyze Cam Pan to test this with, I’m truly excited to be able to do this.

0 Likes

You’re welcome! If you have any trouble setting it up on your Pan when it arrives, let me know. I’ll be glad to try and help!

0 Likes

What is “RTSP”?

0 Likes

RTSP is short for ‘Real Time Streaming Protocol’, something Wyze is adding to make themselves compatible with other systems:

0 Likes

how are motion events displayed on the app? and, where are the motion events saved, on the Mac Air?

thanks. very interested in this. Currently using SecuritySpy, but would love to do HomeKit.

0 Likes

As I presently have it configured there are no HomeKit notifications directly created by the RTSP stream to HomeKit. However, if you have an existing motion sensor configured in HomeKit then the Home app will automatically take a snapshot from the camera when a motion event is detected (by the motion sensor, not camera). These notifications are sent as push notifications from Apple’s servers so they aren’t really stored anywhere (not super useful). I’ve been tinkering with another homebridge plugin that is supposed to monitor RTSP streams and store picture/video locally (ie on Mac Air in my case). The project on GitHub is https://github.com/rxseger/homebridge-camera-motion/

If I manage to get that running as well, I’ll update you on it! :wink:

1 Like