Home Assistant Integration

I am interested in Wyze but will only buy if it offers fully local support as an option. As in: cloud not required and Internet not required. I know most people these days think that’s not possible, which makes it sad.
I have ditched products in the past that required internet connections for even the most basic of features to function at all. It just isn’t necessary and adds an additional point of failure. “Oh, the internet is down again and now my lights don’t turn on…” Home Assistant is, in my opinion, the best home automation platform because it is focused on goals that we should all be focused on in home automation: Privacy, local control, open source, and interoperability. (Read more about it here
https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2018/09/17/thinking-big/ ) My current automatons all work if the internet goes down. Seems like a basic requirement to me!

Wyze seems to have some really great products! I’m especially excited about the new ones they are coming out with (sensors and bulbs). However I’ve learned my lesson and won’t buy into anything that only offers cloud infrastructure. I’ll join in once it is a completed feature and not just a vote on the roadmap. It’s sad that it wasn’t built as a first release feature, but I guess that comes with so many people turning over control and privacy to companies for convince.

I hope that Wyze will follow the vision of Home Assistant and add their amazing devices to the unsurpassed Home Assistant platform.

2 Likes

As others have indicated this can be achieved fairly easy with IFTTT. One thing I would like to see to help this integration is a “Friendly Name” and an “IFTTT Name” this way I could still name my sensor something like “Bedroom 1” but for the use of IFTTT and Home Assistant I could also add a name called “input_boolean.kids_bedroom_1” to match my sensor ID in HASSS.

1 Like

+1000

1 Like

Agreed! This is a must!

1 Like

+1

I just ordered my first wyze cam and I too am hoping for an easy way to detect motion in Home Assistant. I would definitely buy more cameras if it had this feature.

Adding +1 in the comments won’t register as a vote - make sure you click “Vote” at the top so Wyze knows how much we want this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it would be great to be able to integrate sensors, lights and camera with my home assistant implementation.

1 Like

+1
There are some round about ways of getting things to work together, but if it just worked …

1 Like

Do you have any links to documentation on possible work arounds for getting wyze cams and sensors working with home assistant?

1 Like

The information in this post got me on the right path:

It depends on ifttt integrations and there are a lot moving parts. I hope it proves to be reliable until a wyze/home assistant integration is completed.

1 Like

Now with the addition of the Wyze Light Bulbs, Home Assistant integration is a must.

2 Likes

+1. A Home Assistant Integration would make this the best possible device out there !!
I have 7 camera now, and with Sense and Bulbs it seems very important to have the integration.

Do we have any update if it is even being considered by Wyze ?

2 Likes

Currently it is listed as maybe-later, I take that as they have not ruled it out but they are not working on it yet, I believe they will change it to researching if they start really looking at it

3 Likes

I still don’t really understand how tinycam has camera integration but nobody else does, is that a partnership with wyze or did tinycam cobble together access from an unpublished API? If they can do it there really isn’t any reason it shouldn’t be possible with home assistant considering it’s extensibility. Wyze really needs to publish an API; I’m not super interested in swapping in the RTSP firmware because I hear it’s pretty limited but I will probably try it if nothing else works

Now with the plug coming out I see this as more important than ever. I just won’t buy the plug if I can’t integrate it with HA and IFTTT is not an acceptable solution since the plug is not as much of a disruptive product as the others. There are just too many plugs out there at a similar price with HA integration. I’d be happy to be brand loyal to Wyze and buy into the whole product lines but this integration is important for that.

2 Likes

If you don’t know what home assistant is, it is open source IFTTT on steroids and it let’s you create custom interfaces, and let’s you connect to things like Google Assistant, Alexa, etc. community.home-assistant.io for examples, everyone there wants this.

1 Like

I don’t currently don’t have a WYZE cam, but after the last couple of weeks’ announcements I decided to setup an account here so I can vote on this feature, as it is currently the only thing that is stopping me from upgrading my 8 cam setup.

Hello everyone!

If an exclusive Home Assistant integration might be too much to develop, maybe a MQTT integration with a broader DIY home automation system support. It can send alerts, images and many other information.

Thanks.

@antoniosch…psssssst…over here -----> Support for MQTT :wink:

1 Like

Hahahah sorry! I have not searched for this here :slight_smile:

Good one! Let’s hope this comes true.

Have great day!

1 Like