Home Assistant Integration

Is there anything in the roadmap to allow any sort of generic integration or access to the video stream? Wouldn’t even need to be home assistant specific… Why wouldn’t you want to open it up a little more… Would be in much more high demand if so I would think…

1 Like

Once RTSP is available it can be added to Home-Assistant using the FFmpeg Camera component. But an official integration that supports motion sensors would be even better.

6 Likes

Yeah. Maybe the speaker could even be exposed as a media_player for broadcasting TTS messages over the cameras? Not the best sound quality but plenty for a simple TTS announcement. It would effortlessly extend the reach of scripted announcements in HA, likely tied to motion, sound or CO alerts. Great for security and maybe other things as well.

+1 from me for the forum topic. Running HASSIO HA and would love to see native integration of these amazing Cams.

2 Likes

I also would like to see this. A simple add-in the configuration.yaml file that just allows hassio to talk with the Waze cloud would be great. To use the motion detection as preset detection and video recognition will help with my home automations

Adding my voice to the pile! I’d buy 2-3 more and aggressively recommend them to my techie friends.

A few folks above simply asked for local RTSP support, which would be a great start, but real integration would either use their own communications or open it up with MQTT, and that 2-way audio would be amazing.

4 Likes

+1 from me!!! Yes, add Home Assistant integration as well!

3 Likes

Count me as another multi-wyze-camera user that want integration to Home Assistant

Thuston88

7 Likes

+1 this would be amazing!

4 Likes

+10000000000

2 Likes

+1. Please do the wyze thing and provide integration with HomeAssistant.

5 Likes

Yup, very important to many users to get this functionality

3 Likes

I just got my first WYZE camera and was thinking the same thing. MQTT topic for motion inside the detection zone and a different topic for sound detection should have minimum impact on the firmware.

Hi Dongsheng. Would you consider adding MQTT for motion detected inside the detection zone? This could be an enhancement after initial release. It would allow home automation such has “Home Assistant” to do all types of things. Thanks.

2 Likes

Can you explain what you need MQTT for ? We have built in IOT and automation function within the Wyze App already.

5 Likes

Hi Dongsheng, thank you for your reply.

MQTT could be used for all types of things such as turning on lights, a siren, playing an audio of barking dogs or someone screaming “I called 911!”

For readers who don’t know what MQTT is:
MQTT stands for Message Queuing Telemetry Transport. It is used by a large and growing number of home automation tools such as “Home Assistant”. “Home Assistant” is a free, open source home automation tool used by home automation enthusiasts.

7 Likes

MQTT sounds unrelated to the thread topic of an outdoor cam #hijacking

[MOD NOTE: these posts moved from the Outdoor Camera thread to the Home Assistant thread to be more on-topic]

1 Like

IFTTT could be used in place of MQTT but many people prefer to keep the use of external cloud servers to a minimum.

1 Like

@MikeD your missing the whole point. Home Assistant is built with the Idea that home automation should not be dependent on the internet to work. MQTT is very light weight and broadcast based. This makes it perfect for small devices to communicate state information in a simple fashion with in your house. This enhances security and performance. Please understand that the main value for MQTT only surfaces when you want to use the Cam sensors to interact with HA or SmartThings

The bigger more interesting addition would be RSTP, This would allow us to add the camera feeds to Home assistant, SmarthThings, Action Tiles, or any web page you want to build. I am actively replacing 7 wyze cams in place of a solution that that offers both MQTT and RSTP at a much higher price. I really like my wyze cams, but I can now open a single web link and see all my outdoor cameras on 1 simple to access, G/F approved private web site. That for me was worth the price to upgrade…

5 Likes

Hi @cdrom1028, thank you for your reply. I think you misunderstood me. Several of the above posts where in a different thread which became off topic and moved here because they talk about Home Assistant.

I agree with you, especially about a benefit of “Home Assistant” is not depending on a cloud service. That is a major reason why I use it.

Wyze presently has ifttt and are developing RTSP. They are also developing Home Sensors which mqtt would be perfect for. However I have not seen anything about mqtt so I’m requesting it. I would use it with Home Assistant.

See the link below for an approximate timeline of things wyze is developing

1 Like