Home Assistant Integration

I think he was getting Google Home and Google Assistant blended to be Google Home Assistant. I can see how that would happen.

Anyways, using TinyCam to send motion/person/face alerts to HA, then having HA process the webhooks to call a script that announces on your GH mini. Simply done.

Android devices can also use an app called Tasker with a few other plugins the Dev created for it to see when a notification of motion pops up on your phone and send a webhook to HA for processing as well.

There are several ways to do it currently, but none of them are easy.
Even if they don’t do full integration, at least giving us the option to send webhooks to our HA server will allow us to do all kinds of stuff with the motion alerts.

2 Likes

you can do it also with Tasker on android, have tasker call a webhook if Wyze notification comes.
However, this requires your phone to be on and there is a bit of delay.
what we need as pointed many times is for WYZE to call a webhook natively. this would totally eliminate the need for IFTTT.
Anyone knows any other cameras with this function? my guess is, whoever does it first going to take a big chunk of customers.

1 Like

Ditto… Do I get a second vote! Lol

2 Likes

That’s funny. I was reading through these and was thinking the same thing!
I have a few items which could be replaced by Wyze products, just don’t want to switch them over because of this… One day, I hope!

1 Like

Add me and my 20+ wyze cameras, sensors, bulbs and plugs (as well as preordered doorbell). I’d love to move to HomeAssistant for all my smart home integrations and it seems like it’s more work to do with Wyze than with, say, Sonoff.

2 Likes

Nearly 1,000 votes, @UserCustomerGwen you see this right? Just pointing out the 100+ increase in a matter of a couple months. I’d guess it’s due in part to IFTTT’s changes.

7 Likes

Yes, I see this. Thanks for making sure!

It’s interesting how IFTTT’s changes are shaking things up.

3 Likes

So…local API next week? :smiley:

4 Likes

That would be great!! I have Wyze Sense sensors running on HA and Wyze servers. It’s way faster with local control from Home Assistant, but those sensors are no longer visible in the Wyze app. For things like turning on lights with an open door or motion sensor, a 3 second delay can feel a bit too long. Ideally, if Wyze officially supported Home Assistant, I’d love to be able to have local control of my devices including the bulbs and cams, but I’m fine backing up everything’s status to the Wyze servers so I could also use the Wyze app if I wanted to. Again, in a perfect world, Wyze could release the Person Detection code so I could process it locally on my Raspberry Pi 4 instead of uploading footage to AWS for PD.

2 Likes

FYI Duncan if you happen to have any cameras that were never upgraded to remove Xnor, I think at least one piece of software (TinyCam) is still able to use it. I haven’t tried yet and don’t know if it works in either native or RTSP mode.

1 Like

Now that you are launching a thermostat… you really need to integrate with home assistant. This really needs developlent!

1 Like

I am really needing this. I have the cams, lock, door bell on pre-order (hell even the headphones). With IFTTT killing my system, Home Assistant is where I am having to move to. PLEASE make this happen.

2 Likes

At this point, if an official API isn’t going to be released soon, I will no longer be able to purchase new Wyze products

3 Likes

Well same here, Think about it man, after October 7th, owning a Wyze camera just got a whole lot more expensive!!! new IFTTT users have to pay $9.99 a month.

What I am curious to know is, why Wyze or actually many other companies prefer to work with IFTTT as oppose to release their own API? I assume they are going to make a cut from IFTTT 9.99 monthly fee?

2 Likes

IFTTT only recently announced they were going to start charging consumers. The reason why I believe that wyze and other companies integrated with IFTTT rather than release their own API is because IFTTT is consumer friendly and less or a security risk. At least in their view. I don’t think they’re going to get any commission considering the fact that they have to pay a monthly fee for access to the IFTTT platform.

Now that IFTTT is charging consumers, it’s likely that wyze and other companies will stop supporting IFTTT soon. IDK who thought it would be a great idea to start charging people to use IFTTT. Especially when they charge hundreds of dollars per month just for companies to have their service listed.

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to use the camera as a motion detector at night and turn lights on via home assistant. Of course it may be too sensitive, but still it seems doable.

1 Like

If the company can’t address an outcry of this magnitude and for this long…

I’m sure they don’t sell their devices at a loss, so this charge for cloud services is not about that. It’s just corporate greed. The lure was the low cost device and rtsp beta firmware. The trap - introduced recurring costs coupled with internet dependent access to your security devices for cloud-based “security”… and no further development of the rtsp firmware.

I was willing to purchase 6 cameras and a couple sensor kits with only the rtsp beta firmware and ha-wyzesense available. Now I’m looking at purchasing 4x the cameras and 12x sensors, and that’s just me. Your customers know that local control is possible and that your main reason for not allowing it (or even responding) is to hopefully force them to make a decision.

Decision made. I’d rather have a system that doesn’t include your cloud or your BS.

2 Likes

As an innovative and disrupter to the industry, you need to lead by example and open up your API and build the HA integration native for all your products.

2 Likes

I remember how the original xbox sales jumped when it was hacked…opening the API and allowing local control can boost sales I believe. Not sure if it opens sucurity issues or not but I can live with it for local control.

2 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen 12 replies in 4 days. :man_shrugging:

Wondering if you’re reading some of these replies.

Juicy stuff. Seems to me you might be losing out on a whole lot more then a couple core customers, with a lack of API.

you know…just judging from the 258 other replies here and having email notifications that I read daily about this specific feature request.

also, I hope everyone that has commented, also voted at the top of this thread: here

5 Likes