Home Assistant Integration

maybe-later

I just got my first WYZE camera and was thinking the same thing. MQTT topic for motion inside the detection zone and a different topic for sound detection should have minimum impact on the firmware.

0 Likes

Hi Dongsheng. Would you consider adding MQTT for motion detected inside the detection zone? This could be an enhancement after initial release. It would allow home automation such has “Home Assistant” to do all types of things. Thanks.

0 Likes

Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Can you explain what you need MQTT for ? We have built in IOT and automation function within the Wyze App already.

2 Likes

Hi Dongsheng, thank you for your reply.

MQTT could be used for all types of things such as turning on lights, a siren, playing an audio of barking dogs or someone screaming “I called 911!”

For readers who don’t know what MQTT is:
MQTT stands for Message Queuing Telemetry Transport. It is used by a large and growing number of home automation tools such as “Home Assistant”. “Home Assistant” is a free, open source home automation tool used by home automation enthusiasts.

0 Likes

MQTT sounds unrelated to the thread topic of an outdoor cam #hijacking

[MOD NOTE: these posts moved from the Outdoor Camera thread to the Home Assistant thread to be more on-topic]

1 Like

IFTTT could be used in place of MQTT but many people prefer to keep the use of external cloud servers to a minimum.

0 Likes

Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

@MikeD your missing the whole point. Home Assistant is built with the Idea that home automation should not be dependent on the internet to work. MQTT is very light weight and broadcast based. This makes it perfect for small devices to communicate state information in a simple fashion with in your house. This enhances security and performance. Please understand that the main value for MQTT only surfaces when you want to use the Cam sensors to interact with HA or SmartThings

The bigger more interesting addition would be RSTP, This would allow us to add the camera feeds to Home assistant, SmarthThings, Action Tiles, or any web page you want to build. I am actively replacing 7 wyze cams in place of a solution that that offers both MQTT and RSTP at a much higher price. I really like my wyze cams, but I can now open a single web link and see all my outdoor cameras on 1 simple to access, G/F approved private web site. That for me was worth the price to upgrade…

1 Like

Hi @cdrom1028, thank you for your reply. I think you misunderstood me. Several of the above posts where in a different thread which became off topic and moved here because they talk about Home Assistant.

I agree with you, especially about a benefit of “Home Assistant” is not depending on a cloud service. That is a major reason why I use it.

Wyze presently has ifttt and are developing RTSP. They are also developing Home Sensors which mqtt would be perfect for. However I have not seen anything about mqtt so I’m requesting it. I would use it with Home Assistant.

See the link below for an approximate timeline of things wyze is developing

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I did happen to find the Q&A link about 30 minutes after I replied to your post…

This is all good news!

1 Like

I also am VERY interested in Home-Assistant support especially now that you’re making sensors. The cameras have speakers, microphones, video for input and output! So flexible! Please open access to them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mandatory feature, IMHO.
Just ordered a PAN expecting to integrate it into HA. At a minimum, I guess I can use this approach to see the feed, but would really like HA to enable/disable movement detection based on my presence. Looking around for additional cgi commands… Or, replace the firmware

1 Like

Thanks for the reply these are decent options to use.

0 Likes

I agree with daviegeepers above, Home Assistant integration seems like a must have now that they are getting into the sensor game. I currently use Konnected for my hardwire sensors, but would love to use Wyze for my cameras and wireless sensors, especially motion sensors, to better automate things. I find IFTTT a little unreliable at times being that it is reliant on a third party cloud service, opposed to an on prem server.

0 Likes

If these worked with out of the box with Home Assistant, I would be order a lot of Wyze products. I know there is custom firmware to make them work but I’d prefer if they just worked.

I love what Wyze is doing but the only thing that has held me back from pulling the trigger and purchasing a lot of cameras and soon to be sensors is the Home Assistant support.

It would be amazing if you could open it up for Home Assistant!

0 Likes

+1
must to have

0 Likes

A +1 does nothing to the count. You need to click the VOTE button at the top-left of the thread. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

With the new RTSP firmware these seem to be working well with Home Assistant and the stream component, There’s a small time delay in the stream of about 5-10 seconds but the stream seems to start quickly and run pretty smoothly. I’ve only tested for a short time and in low light conditions but I’m feeling pretty happy so far.

0 Likes

I got the RTSP working with HomeAssistant. due to the lack if still image, the card looks like it isn’t working but when you click on it, Bam !!! you get the stream.

Config example :

- platform: generic
    name: "Test Camera"
    still_image_url: "null"
    stream_source: "rtsp://[username]:[password]@[camera_ip_address]/live"
1 Like

+1 for Home Assistant component.
Loving the new RSTP feature btw. Thanks!

0 Likes

+1 for home assistant integration with the new Sense products!

0 Likes