Home Assistant Integration

Yep, neither method had much in the way of consistent feedback, but, given reliance on Wyze sense to be maintained by Wyze as soon as the Alarm System sensor arrive, and considering their recent track record of strategic decisions, I had decided to run with HA only, but UMMV

1 Like

I’ve been using the ha-wyzesense integration for over a year with a Pi 3B, and I’ve been very pleased with the stability. I have heard of people having stability issues when trying to pass the Wyze Sense bridge to a virtual machine running on a NUC or Windows box. I ended up just about abandoning Wyze Sense connected to an actual Wyze Cam entirely in favor of the unofficial HA integration. There is zero delay (as opposed to the normal Wyze configuration) and it does not stop working if there is an internet outage. I find this particularly important for use-cases like having a light turn on when I walk into a room. It should not take 5 seconds for a light to turn on - if it’s dark, I need a light instantly. So, the unofficial ha-wyzesense via HACS works very well with Phillips Hue and Shelly bulbs (I use both currently). It’s absolutely worth giving a shot on a Pi.

2 Likes

Fantastic feedback, thank you!!

I’d hoped to find that to be the case, it certainly eliminated what looked to be many points of possible failure!

I’m on this, this weekend!!! I like Wyze, their cams are worth every penny, and they have dug up several devices I would probably never stumbled upon otherwise, but the sensor-bridge-transiting Cams WiFi-OffToCloud and then do it again, never had a chance of resulting in time sensitive responses to trigger events.

I hope that senseV2 is offered as a discrete device and not tied/bundled to whatever SBC/esp32 solution they are sourcing.

If anyone else has received any indication that Wyze is seriously pursuing an open api (at a minimum) or, I pray, adoption of open and standard protocol conformance, for home assistant or, and this is far less exciting given the equally uncertain performance of Samsung, with SmartThings, would you please speak up.

I agree with you on this one, this is a perfect example of a monthly stipend that I as a user can absolutely accept, even encourage as the whole HA ecosystem of users has and continues to be invaluable for IoT at the consumer level.

See:

2 Likes

Thank you so very much, I had not watched this yet!

I am glad that it is at least being planed. This helps me to understand their corporate position. It’s a shame that it’s been so heavily requested from so many, yet it never passed the planning board. Of course Covid delayed many biz plans, so I get it!

I was hoping (long shot I know) that they might ave seized on the market openings for a ew standard platform being created by Samsung’s handling of SmartThings or Winks bungling of their monthly stipend implementation!

I had hoped that their experience with Apples acquisition of XnorAI and subsequent market adoption of more HomeKit products that alliances are key, they are fighting in the 700lb gorilla class, they desperately need to be a key part of standards adoption, and I truly feel this is yet another watershed event that may again pass them by.

As far as I know, they didn’t even participate, let alone contribute or guide last year’s meeting. and the new Modified Zigbee is looking like it’s moved forward again, last month, and again they were not even a footnoted contributor.

It will be a real shame if a company like Wyze is another footnote, and it happens in contracted time.

Next year…yep everyone has big plans for next year, funny how that is almost always true, yet I had hoped they might leverage the only advantage they have, they are still a lightweight, show the industry, don’t follow the trodden path, Damn it, cut your own!!

Oh well!!!

2 Likes

I didn’t hear/see any mention of the thread protocol standards collaboration between Google, Apple, Amazon, et al

Nor did I see any mention of strategic plans to handle the Zigbee remix standard collab meeting last month…

Was hoping they would have included as they will find that if they do not partner, standardize, and adapt, the lumbering behemoths will get up to speed, and they may find themselves flattened at that point,

+1 for Home Assistant Integration

3 Likes

Good man!! Thank you, I hope they really do value the votes!!!

1 Like

This is nice card. I’d suggest setup alert though, anything below 85% should be get alerted and change the battery soon to avoid brick.

1 Like

Just curious, why 85% and not something lower?

based on what other people have observed. the reading may not accurate.

1 Like

be sure to click VOTE at the top of this page (will change to VOTED once complete) 1010 votes as I type this.

:wink:

1 Like

You are correct regarding the unstable nature of the contact sensors in particular. I have about 30 contact sensors deployed in an array of functions and they provide a very inexpensive solution to one part of my typical projects.

I’ve experienced the gamut from reliable to DOA out of the box. So I’ll guarantee that you’ll have a variety of fail rates.

After the full box DOA, I have adapted to the whimsical nature of the point I’ve identified as the prime and almost exclusive point of failure and then came up with my own spin to make them still, to this day, a great little assembly that I’ll use if I don’t need an ESP32, or Esp8266. I can take the cores, swap in a lithium cell, and either use with case or without for a good 6-12 months depending on my use case.

I have some counting each dogs feedings, I found them more reliable than Flics as part of a push button assembly, Some live in my dishwasher, refrigerators, and cabinetry.

Bottom line for my prototyping or simply battery powered pre-assembled comm chips for any binary application, they fit the bill.

Are they at all appropriate for monitoring anything involving safety absolutely not.

But for $4.40 approx I can skip pulling out much gear from my station. I can print any housing I need for about another 25 cents, and you’ve got a device that talks to my servers and doesn’t pollute the 2.4Ghz band that unfortunately 80% of the kit is still specified to use.

1 Like

It would be great to have this feature, especially now that IFTTT started charging for more than 3 custom applets.

1 Like

I vote yes to integrate with Home Assistant.

2 Likes

I am moving away from IFTTT and I am installing Home Assistant. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Home Assistant sounds a little complex. How many features would I be without if I s. tay using my Echo devises with Alexa. Im able to pull any camera up on my big screen, she’s able to control my lights and with the band im able to check on things at home. I
can’t wait until the V3 drops.
How will the HA be different from what I use now and since im learning all of Alexa comands to control my house It might be beneficial for me stay and see how it works out for everybody before I jump ship.

So, there is SOME learning involved with getting HA up and running, but it’s getting more and more user-friendly and GUI-centric all the time, and there is nothing earth shatteringly difficult that you just have to tackle; you can make it as simple or complex as you want. That being said, as far as what you’re giving up by not having it:

• speed, in many cases. If you can do something locally, it’s always faster than relying on the internet.
  • nearly limitless potential for automation and logic. Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, SmartThings can’t hold a candle to what HA can do for you, AND you can still use all of those with HA via Integration, so it’s not like you have to give them up at all. There is really only gain to be found.
2 Likes