Home Assistant Integration

I don’t kind the lack of local control (for now)
I, wondering if anyone has found a way to have HA pull sensor data from wyze? With Nabu Casa and google?
I’ve got the bridge plugged into my raspberry pi but the range is not great, so only half my house is covered

1 Like

No… Don’t think so. From what I read people feel it is redundant to pull data from wyze cloud when you can have local. At least I am not aware of anyone working on cloud data pull.

1 Like

Btw, if you have a spare pi and can afford another bridge, you can setup a master slave (remote) HA instance and extend the sensors that way. I just did this yesterday as my garage is 50 ft away from the house and sensors were not reliable. Now they are as the slave HA is closer to the garage.

1 Like

Thanks
I’ll probably end up just getting some 433mhz contact sensors and a sonoff bridge, that’ll be cheaper and less burden on my network than adding more WiFi units.

1 Like

One great step for the future is getting Wyze products integrated into Home Assistant like other smart home products. This would be a game changer too for Wyze since those other two Amazon companies that make cams and doorbells do not fully integrate yet. Since the Home Assistant (HA) community is so large these products would sell off the shelf. One reason a lot have not fully gone to Wyze is it cannot integrate fully into HA at this time. The team of developers with HA would love to assist in getting this integrated and many in the community would say the same. Just a thought!

1 Like

Would be great to post this link on the HA forums to get up voted here. Only 700ish votes for this feature might not be enough.

5 Likes

+1, Wyze should team up with Home Assistant, I would say that at least 60% of the people who buy Wyze products are ones who want to make the most out of the products and do more than the out of the box setup. Home Assistant is a great home automation hub and it only makes sense for Wyze to support it for the home automation tinkerers.

12 Likes

I created a thread, hope this helps.

1 Like

+1 for HA integration

2 Likes

+100

The problem is you’ll get enough people (probably that 40%) that will blindly support Wyze no matter what they do. I’m waiting for my sonoff camera in the mail.

1 Like

Agreed. With their lack of response to user input, while continuing to put out new products, I’ve been feeling like I made a mistake backing Wyze.

Update on that integration you posted about!
It’s now called ha-wyzeapi lol
If this is not an official api, you guys should hire this guy!
The other wyze sense integration seems like it has issues and can be difficult to install, beside the fact you have to unplug your bridge from the camera and plug it into your computer or pi…
I just got my bulbs and plugs hooked up yesterday and they are still working after wyze beta firmware updates today!
All of my contact and motion sensors are showing up, but I’m still new to HA and have not learned automation yet, so I can’t say those are “working” or not. Maybe someone more experienced can try it out and report back?

5 Likes

The other API requires the hub to be plugged into you HA instance to allow local control, which is much faster. If Wyze opened up local controls, we wouldn’t need to plug it in HA instance I think.

1 Like

I’m in the middle of a move right now, but if I get the chance as I’m relocating tech, I’m definitely going to give this a try. I’ve used the Wyze Sense HA integration with great results. I’m very interested to see how this works.

1 Like

True, especially if they would allow bringing other brands devices into their system. I mainly use it to integrate my other smart devices with Wyze products.

As far as this integration I linked above, it seems to work better than the Wyze app. If I sit there and toggle one of my lights on and off over and over, the Wyze app fails about 25% of the time and the HA integration didn’t fail once. I thought I read that this was a cloud integration, but maybe they DID integrate local access and not document it? Either way, seems like this integration is actively being worked on and the older one seems to have stopped development?

What is the performance and reliability for this integration?
I am using the one that needs to plug bridge to the HA server, it is faster but once it fails, need to unplug it and restart HA, sometimes also needs to change the device name.

1 Like

I honestly couldn’t tell you.
I’m still brand new to HA and currently learning how to do automation, so I can’t even confirm all the sensors work correctly. But it sure was a lot easier to understand how to install and configure.
I just created a “sensor state” tab and all the states are showing up just about as quick as the Wyze app itself. They even have the correct icons for open and closed doors etc. So I assume they work correctly and that I just don’t know what Im doing with automation yet. lol!

Yes, this solution is cloud based. You provide the credentials you use to login to the Wyze app and HA logs into the Wyze servers instead of the Wyze app. The benefit there is that the speed should be similar to what you see when using the Wyze app. Previous solutions were to use IFTTT in the middle which introduced a lot of latency.

I haven’t tried this one yet but will install it and see how it goes. I’ve been using the other solution with the sensor bridge plugged directly into HA and have stability issues with it.

An official API allowing HA to communicate with Wyze gear locally would be ideal.

| caustik
May 28 |

• | - |

I honestly couldn’t tell you.
I’m still brand new to HA and currently learning how to do automation, so I can’t even confirm all the sensors work correctly. But it sure was a lot easier to understand how to install and configure.
I just created a “sensor state” tab and all the states are showing up just about as quick as the Wyze app itself. They even have the correct icons for open and closed doors etc. So I assume they work correctly and that I just don’t know what Im doing with automation yet. lol!

Makes sense!
I actually just got an automation working now and I can see that the reaction time is about 1 second behind the Wyze app for the contact sensor. It takes up to 5 full seconds for HA’s state to be updated. I’m about to test the motion sensor next, but I’m guessing the same.

Unfortunately, for my situation, I was trying to cut down latency from using ifttt but it’s taking about just as long for the HA reaction as the ifttt linking. I’m concluding that it’s only checking every 5 seconds for updates on the contact sensor.

However, the lights… When using the Wyze app to toggle, HA updates can take up to 20sec to reflect it’s current state. But if you toggle a light using HA, it turns on before the Wyze app is updated. So I’m pretty sure it’s doing the lights and plugs locally?

Thanks. The other integration is much faster then, most of time is immediately. Just sometimes stop working and we have no idea it stops.

1 Like