Hiding the Contact Sensor No Chiseling No Sawing

Hello WildBill
I used “Goof Off”. It worked well, although I had concerns that it would damage the plastic - it didn’t.
First, I used a pocket knife to slice off most of the label’s thickness, then my finger nails and finally Goof Off. You don’t need the Goof Off, but it sure makes it easier. And it does a nice job. I know that VO5 will work, just as StopICU33 suggestion to use hand lotion will.
The picture below shows a close-up of one of my projects where the adhesive was removed. In this picture, the four manufacturing test holes were plugged with epoxy. The epoxy extension of this sensor case is not relevant to your question. The purpose of the extension was to keep strain from occurring where the new leads replaced the magnetic reed switch. The extension also served as a reaction block from which to engage the lid-opening-slot.

Victor Maletic

1 Like

I bought four pairs of your brackets (the slide in not the screw in types.) Any suggestions on how best to align the holes on the door and frame?

2 Likes

so what I do it close the door and get a small screw driver (or something thin and sharp) that will fit between the door and jam. Then I just move it left and right to make a small mark in the middle of the door horizontally. I will be making new install videos this weekend that I will try and be very detailed in.

Alternatively you can just measure.

It really doesn’t need to be perfect just pretty close. Even turned on their side the sensor can be about 3/4 inch away to closed the reed switch.

1 Like

I have a precision screwdriver very very tiny. That I slide between the door and the jam and then I just twist it and it makes a mark on the door and the jam itself in the same location. And then they’re perfectly aligned

1 Like

Thanks for both suggestions. Want to get them aligned reasonably well to avoid any possible issues.

2 Likes

I also install mine on the top of the door if that makes any difference.

That probably won’t work for some of mine. Minimal clearance above the door so no way to drill.

2 Likes

yeah that is something that is really important to look out for before you just start drilling holes.

2 Likes

I have a Milwaukee M 12 compact drill that is more than capable of doing this job and will fit into tight spaces. It has come in very handy in numerous installations of smart devices and home automation and A/V equipment. I believe it was worth the money my wife might disagree LOL

1 Like

After installing the first unit place a narrow strip of tape across it and beyond, then close the door and use the portions of tape visible as a guide to where the remaining unit should go.

2 Likes

Depending on how much clearance there is, a right-angle drill attachment may be suitable. Also, if the magnet is removed from its factory casing a much smaller drill is needed to recieve it. After the magnet is pushed into the small hole a piece of tape or caulking or putty can make it inconspicuous. A smaller drill bit requires less drilling headroom.

1 Like

All are good suggestions. However, the space for one of the doors has only an inch or so of space above the door. Plan to install them in the side of the door/frame.

2 Likes

Yeah you’d have to take that door off. Too much work. Put it on the side. Post a pic when you’re done love to see it

Here is a picture of a side installation. Same door with the Smart-ish deadbolt.

2 Likes

Here is a picture of a side installation. Same door with the Smart-ish deadbolt.

1 Like

I like it but my wife would have to paint the tape to match the door she would not stand that Tape color sticking out like that. But that’s an easy fix. And it looks like a good clean installation

1 Like

Yes, definately my wife would need it to match closely. Here is a trick I use on my sister’s house. A workman moving in materials for a remodel made a small but nasty gouge in the door frame. My not having time to fix and paint, I suggested she print up a label with the right color and hide the gouge for now. It is still there three years later. Out of sight, out of mind?

2 Likes

I put the sensor (with holder) in the doorframe over the door and the magnet is a small rare earth that requires small hole in top of door.

Hi Big_monkey.
I assume by holder, you are referring to the “lachlan6 style holder”. Whether the sensor placement is a side or overhead mount, placing that style of contact sensor holder in the door frame is the best way to go. The door frame is less structurally compromised by the size of hole needed for the holder and of course, the hole for the door magnet is much smaller with less structural impact. Way to go.
Victor Maletic.

Hello Rcamarena.
I have recently posted a simpler jig for making slotted holes.
Check out Hiding the Contact Sensor Simple Jig Small Holes .