Help with initial set up "Networking cryption method not supported"?

Hey everyone,
I am new to setting up the cameras- and when I scan the QR code, it does read it, but then it comes back with a voice prompt “Networking cryption method not supported”? What is that and how do I fix it?
thanks

Well, you need to log onto your router and add some wireless security.

The only encryption methods the cams understand are the WPA & WPA2 protocols. The more modern of the two is WPA2, and is preferred.

Now, exactly how you do that is different on every router. If you have access to an computer version of the manual for your router, search for the term “WPA” (some older routers won’t have WPA2).

If all else fails, tell us the exact model router you have from the SN plate (probably on the bottom). Someone here may recognize it.

After you change encryption, you will probably have to reeducate all your devices to use the new setup. But if you aren’t already using WPA or WPA2, then you probably need to change them anyway (you aren’t secure).

3 Likes

Newshound,
Thankyou so much for the reply and so fast too. I was wondering about the security aspect of all this. I am searching for the method to do so with my current router. But, are you saying that ALL the rest of my devices (CPU, Alexa, Phone, etc… ) will have to be updated as well in order to still be active on the router? I guess I am just lost in all this technology stuff.

Yes, depending on how your router is set up now your wireless devices will probably need to start using a password. If they are using something like the very old WEP protocol, then you may be able to use the same password (if it’s over 8 characters), but you will still need to reeducate your wireless devices to use the WPA or WPA2 protocol.

Wired devices like your personal computer will NOT need to be reeducated. Your wired device is probably how you will talk to your router, unless you have a mobile app for it. I do most of my talking to my router from my computer web browser on the 192.168.1.1 address (your address may vary, and the default address will be in your manual).

There has been some discussion of setting up “guest” accounts with the security required, then leaving the rest of the network alone.

Agreed, adding the cameras to a guest network is a good option, but my thought was they probably have an old router if the aren’t already on the WPA protocol. So, they may not have a guest option available.

Also, if they aren’t at least WPA on their primary network, then they are taking unnecessary security risks there. So I’m still for going thru the temporary pain, and getting that fixed.

Heck, if they had no password at all then they may find all their neighbors have been using their Internet and downloading who knows what, lol!

Some of us live in the country. I can’t get a signal from my router that goes much more than halfway to my mailbox, which is the closest the public can get to me. Straightline distance is only 75 meters but that’s through several walls, some brick and a metal shed the first 20 meters, then it’s dense woods., I’ve passwords and such but that’s a leftover from being in IT since I summered at IBM in the early '70’s. Many of our relatives run w/o passwords. They rely on dogs for security within wireless range,

K, but two-thirds of us live much closer to our neighbors.

1 Like

Here’s my spiel on this subject: For security reasons, Wyze made the decision to no longer allow setup on open wifi networks. Unless Wyze changes their minds on this, there are a couple of workarounds that can be used if you want to keep your base home network unsecured but also provide a secure network for the Wyze Cam. One is free and the other has a small hardware cost. I realize these may not be suitable in all cases.

1. Most wifi routers have the ability to have a separate guest network, often without a password required. You could set the guest network up with your existing SSID (so you don’t have to change any other devices) and set up the primary network with WPA2 encryption to be used with the Wyze Cam.

2. [NOTE: this method is specifically not recommended nor supported by Wyze due to security concerns.] You could use a travel router as an intermediary device that will connect to your unsecured home network and bridge that over to a secure network accessible by the Wyze Cams. Complete instructions for that are here:

If it is in fact open wifi or has a landing page, here’s a workaround:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022501071&?section=setting-up-through-login-portal&?subsection=undefined

Finally, there is a #wishlist topic about this asking Wyze to reconsider (link below). You can hop over there and vote for it. Be sure to click the VOTE button at the top.

https://forums.wyze.com/t/allow-unsecure-wifi-networks/13968

1 Like

Hey there-- Just wanted to say THANKS again for all your help! I was able to get them up and running :slight_smile:

2 Likes