Help Us Develop Our Doorbell Camera!

Definitely. Ring has the ability to ring the existing chimes, but if you’re doing an installation where there is no exiting doorbell and you’re not wiring to a transformer, they have a unit that plugs into a wall that sits on the wifi network and chimes when the doorbell is pressed. You really want both methods.

I could also see people that plan to use existing chimes wanting to use the remote chime unit as well if they have multiple floors or remote areas of the house that can’t hear the doorbell well. Or even putting one on a back porch so if you’re outside and someone rings your front bell you can hear it.

10 Likes

For me personally , If I could have Alexa say , someone is at the door , that would be great, nothing else needed

5 Likes

Assuming you’re bought into Alexa, then sure.

1 Like

I am somewhat familiar with the Ring doorbell. I bought one for my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas. It is the battery pack one, but he still hasn’t installed it. (That’s a whole other issue, but I digress.)

I guess, what I was saying is that Wyze could use those features from Ring (without stating that in my first post) and at sell it at “the Wyze price”, the product becomes a no-brainer. If it can use my existing transformer and chimes, great. Otherwise, have the option to add a wifi chime that plugs into a wall socket. (Or better yet, a Wyze plug, so it can be turned off at night.)

3 Likes

On thing that I like about the Ring is that it has additional finish colors available and an angled mounting kit so you can direct the camera towards the door area if it is off to the side. These would be nice accessories for a Wyze Doorbell. I’d understand if the price point doesn’t allow them to be included by default.

5 Likes

Please don’t forget about the masses living in apartments that can not use regular doorbells… To have this double function as a peephole camera for apartments would be amazing!!! I know there is a separate wishlist page for this (link below), but it would be great if it was built all in one with battery/wired choice built in. :grinning:

For anyone else looking for this please add your vote here :+1::
https://forums.wyze.com/t/peephole-door-view-camera/41884

4 Likes

It is obviously safe to assume I have Alexa devices or would not have posted that

Just pointing out that not everybody has an Alexa or wants to have one. They need an inside chime device to cover those people.

6 Likes

That’s very true , the same is I don’t have Google home

2 Likes

Well if they create a custom sound for notifications, the chime could be on the phone by default. That is how my current Ring doorbell works out of the box. The chime/wifi extender is an additional purchase.

However Alexa is nice with the Ring skill because it can announce which doorbell was activated. Would be useful for people with multiple public entries.

1 Like

I feel it didn’t really ask me that many questions on hardware or doorbells. It seemed more concerned about demographics.

6 Likes

Maybe whatever Xiaomi is going to produce in this area is already set in stone and they are just trying to figure out how to market it?

I hope not because I think they may not be aware of some of the particulars of the US market for this device and I think the Ring product can be improved upon.

1 Like

When you say wireless, do you mean the electric or internet connection?

Yeah, that would make more sense.

I have a Ring and it leaves much to be desired based upon by experience:

• You have to pay to record.
  • The device and the app take forever to handshake (and it often fails).
  • The WiFi signal is limited/slow compared to my Wyze Cams.
  • If you answer the call, you do not have the ability to record the interaction.
  • You can see the live feed, but you cannot view playback as you can on Wyze Cams using an SD card.

Thanks for making the best cameras and the best price!

11 Likes

Kelso, agreed. I would like to see another poll focusing on features

They were talking about electric - battery vs. plug in

1 Like

Our whole neighborhood was built in 1954 so there’s no existing doorbells. I have no desire to wire one up. If it’s wired only, I’ll probably just stick with my current $10 wireless button and plug-in chime with my cube cam.

3 Likes

Me too, I have no desire to crawl around in the attic, drill holes and run wires for a doorbell, haven’t had any kind of doorbell in 25 years , but I have 2 cameras covering the porch and driveway

2 Likes

All the doorbells I’ve had run off a 24v transformer, often lighting up the button. My current button is not lighted but still has the 24 v transformer. Only issue is mine is on the side wall, not next to the door so it depends on field of view if it would capture faces well. My neighbor has s battery type and put his next to his door for this reason. He said side viewing showed more of the back of head and minimal profile.

2 Likes