Help Us Develop Our Doorbell Camera!

I called Google Consultation Services and negotiated 6 months free 5 day for it and my new Google Nest Hub Max. That took some of the bite out of it. I will contact the rep in about 3 weeks in to the 30 day free trial. So that’s 7 months. Edit: For all of the features, I think $5 is reasonable. I will probably not renew the Google Nest Hub Max. I just need it to send notifications of any movement and what it captured.

Your lucky, in the UK there is no trial

Some wanted wireless and some wired, why not sell a bundle your own doorbell. Those who wanted a wireless doorbell should buy it with a battery pack and a chime while those who wanted a wired DB, they don’t need to pay for the extra cost of the batteries.

A wireless chime would also be great if it could have dual purpose, not only for doorbell but also for alarm/chime for contact and motion sensors that can be programmed independently to each sensor.

This will be a great security and automation system for the whole home.

1 Like

Whether or not the question is confusing, my answer is POWER the device via existing doorbell wiring, and COMMUNICATE with the device wirelessly .

Additionally, the wireless connection of my preference would be WiFi not Blue Tooth.

In demographic polls, I identify as “prefer not to answer” and my pronouns are:

“This one”, “That one” and “One’s”

Last thought for today:
Referencing : Wyze Smart Button - #21 by soubir04

The minimum usecase is a replacement doorbell “push button” switch, connected to the existing doorbell wiring, which (1) completes the circuit to ring the existing chimes, AND newly
(2) (acts like a contact sensor) triggers a notification in the Wyze environment.

I guess feature zero is that the switch component is voltage independent. Whatever voltage the old doorbell wires provide, the switch tolerates. The push button itself, like the motion sensor, I would expect to be on a battery.

A Wyze button would not send a picture of whoever is at the door. But I would get a notice that someone has announced presence at the location – even if I’m not in range to hear the chime. No stray notices as from a motion sensor.

There may be other uses for a combination powered switch and wireless button. When an actor physically trips the switch, send notice that:

The basement /porch lights are turned on, or not.
The ceiling / exhaust fans are STILL on (in an empty room?)
The electric fence has been armed.

Any remote activity beyond the reach of a current sensor, but powered by electric wires and controlled by a switch in the house – a gate at the end of the driveway, the well pump, lights at the shed … it would be nice to loop the remote components of the household into the network with “close” devices.

That may be your minimum use case but it fails to address the many of us who have existing doorbells in poor locations such as a perpendicular wall to the door. In my case, and the same case for the 450 plus houses in this community, your scenario would would do nothing but show me video of the persons back side, plus depending on angle of view it may only capture them from the shoulders or waist down unless they were a short person or child because my button is low due to a couple of steps coming to the doorway landing and about 4 ft forward of the doorway where people usually just stand and knock since they do not notice the button. To be useful in this minimum usecase, it would need to have a PIR trigger to capture them as the approach on the walkway or totally battery operated so it could be mounted directly on the door since the side casings are very narrow with a window to the lock side and no usable wall space on the hinge side. I don’t care if it rings a bell or not - most people use the brass knocker anyway since the bell button is inconvenient. But, I agree a button that triggers a notification would be helpful if it is not delayed, I’d just have to put a sticker near it saying to please press button on door.

Things I would like:
-powered options with both rechargeable battery and hardwired from the existing doorbell wiring power
-should be slim so it fits the door frame
-motion detection and press button to ring notification
-at least 1080p and night mode like the wyze cam v2
-can connect to a wireless doorbell chime or existing house chime
-cloud storage and sd card storage option available
-if someone rings the bell it should come in the phone like a phone call as if someone is calling you
-mounting screws available to attach to door frame if you want so it’s not that easily stolen
-super wide angle to see short or tall person or package on ground, so like 180 view or fisheye lens?
-be able to withstand the outdoor Canadian weather
-2 way audio
-wifi
-as little delay as possible when someone rings the bell

Presumably you mean 180?

Whoops ya thanks

I’d add or change weather capabilities to cover from northern Canada/Alaska type frigid temps and wind driven precipitation to south FL/Texas type scorching heat and tropical storm driven rains.

1 Like

Ooo and I would like added tamper notifcation/alerts/detection like a very loud alarm going off in case someone tries to steal it.
-sharing device to other users
-other typical things on the wyze cam people tagging

I Agree with Many here:

Low Voltage Wired Power(Existing Doorbell) and Wireless Power together makes sense, as it serves multiple demographics (Multi Dwelling/Apartment/Single Family)

Internal home chime/doorbell makes a ton of sense, especially if Google home/ Alexa Video devices isn’t possible.

Integration with Google Home Device’s with screens/Alexa devices would be great but could be an eventually rolled out feature, not necessarily at initial launch.

Two Way Audio Would be great, but not 100% necessary. Maybe a simple pezio speaker that can sound a loud alert if the doorbell is being maliciously removed or if the viewer believes a break-in is about to happen. No need for high-quality sound at the door. Basic sound (think old pc speaker), maybe. Another way to lower the cost.

Wide angle lens makes sense. Super-wide angle may be overkill and distorting.

Do we really need better than 720p out of the doorbell as long as it has decent night vision? This is a great way to potentially help keep the cost down.

Speaking of cost: Willing to pay around the same as a ring doorbell ($75) if you’re getting all of ring’s features but in Wyze’s no-annual-fee amazingness ;).

Housing lots of hardware in a narrow profile could be hard, but I see it’s advantages. Maybe this makes it slightly longer but still elegant?

All of your devices have been white so far with softened 90-degree corners (With the exception of the bulb). Makes sense to not stray from that. Stay on brand baby! Bold is beautiful, and separates you from the pack in a good way. Also is a great noticeable differentiation from Nest/Ring. Think Narrower version of Xiaomi Zero Doorbell.

Last but not least, you all keep making amazing products. Keep up the great work. Thankful to have multiple wyze products in my home and hopefully many more.

1 Like

I would prefer wi-fi and cordless (battery). I have a ring witha battery that last more than 3 months as I use it.

thanks.

Hello @UserCustomerGwen , the Wyze Doorbell is needed indeed. As some folks indicated, it’s great to have all cameras in the same app, plus Wyze’s unbeatable prices for the quality. Some features I would love to see are:

1. Wireless - easily removable and rechargeable via USB-C with an attachable socket for the wall.
  2. Battery - at least 2 weeks battery life, maybe even make the device’s body as a solar panel.
  3. Speaker - for communication or to play your favorite chime when the guest press the button.
  4. App Chime Selector - app should allow you to choose from preset or custom chimes.
  5. Pan, Tilt, and Zoom
  6. Google Assistant / Alexa Integration

Wyze please make a battery powered video doorbell.

Also maybe you can put in a siren.

One thing to consider. The width (left to right) of the doorbell (hardware). It should not exceed 1.5 inches from left to right.

Other doorbell cams (hdw) vary in over 2 inches in width. Many door frames which are wood, also have additional wood trim, so in my case any wider than a 1.5 inch bell would hang over the wood edge on the handle side and therefore 1 ) look cheap, sloppy and unstable and 2) probably have alignment issues of where it would screw into the trim (screws not centering on trim). Thanks for asking.

Doorbell camera survey seemed like a waste of time. Didn’t really ask anything specific in regards to anything that would help you design it better?

1. The ring is a great concept but mine is a $150 paper weight. Video is horrible, support is horrible, battery life of up to 6 months is a down right lie. Mine is set to minimum notifications and I get 3 weeks life.
    What we need for a good doorbell is good quality video with no lag, power/battery option (both included) battery life needs to be at least 3 months without charging or have built in solar charger. Not a $150 doorbell that costs another $65 for the solar option.
    Need to have the ability to record longer than 12 seconds. I am not able to see my alerts during the day so when I get home all I get is a 12 second clip. that is long enough for a strange car to pull up in my drive way and sit for a few seconds… I never get any recording of anybody getting out of the car because of the 12 second clip.

It is also EXTREMEMLY unstable on mesh, so bad that if you called and complained they gave you a chime. I guess which the chime, you pair the ring with the chime and the chime with your WiFi. For some reason the chime is more stable on mesh. That’s how it was explained to me.