Help installing C-wire adapter needed

Yes, when you use the C adapter, you connect the old G wire to C. Your blue “W” wire is an O/B wire.
Your white W2 wire is an aux (electric) heating wire, which wyze will have you connect to W1.

Got it, thanks again.

Speadie, thanks for all the help you provide to the community. Before I begin the installation I want to be as sure as possible it will go well because working on the air handler wiring in a confined space is difficult. I read the “Wyze Thermostat with Heat Pump” thread and it seems some people have had enough issues with heating that they decide to reinstall their original thermostats. I want to avoid that.

Looking at my configuration and keeping in mind my location is the Tampa, Florida area will I encounter any of these problems and does my location change how I should wire the system?
Thanks.

Your old thermostat doesn’t have an outdoor temperature sensor, so it should be using similar logic to what the wyze uses. The people that will see the most negative impact from using a wyze instead of their normal thermostat will be those that currently use an outdoor temperature sensor and heat strips. The wyze seems to be defaulting to more aggressive heat strip usage, which increases comfort, at the cost of higher heating bills.

You should not need to make any changes on the air handler side of the wiring after the C adapter is installed unless you decide to switch thermostats. If you wanted to move the heat strips to emergency in the future, you would do that from the thermostat side of the wiring.

Thanks for the information. Did the wiring at the air handler and installed the thermostat today. Went well with two issues.

1. When doing the testing, H1 did not produce and hot air. H2 did and the cooling worked. Should H1 produce heat?

2. The app keeps showing the thermostat as not connected

Sorry posted before I finished. App says thermostat as offline but if I play with the setting I can get it to show connected for while and then it repeats. I am checking the " Thermostat always offline" thread for a solution.

Should have been H1 did not produce any hot air.

Heating source 1 should be the heat pump. Depending on outdoor ambient temperature, it may not produce much in the way of heat. There will also be a delay in switching from heating to cooling mode. Did you verify that it was running the outdoor condenser unit during the test in both heating and cooling modes?

I tried deleting the thermostat from the Wyze app and doing a factory reset to fix the connectivity problem. When I go add it back to the app I get a wiring error message see below. My connections at the thermostat are

Rc red wire

Y1 yellow wire

O/B Blue wire

C green wire

W1 white wire

Any help would be appreciated

Did you tell it that you have a C wire? If you are using a C adapter, you need to tell it you do not have a C wire.

As far as the o/b wire not being connected goes, you didn’t possibly disconnect it or loosen it’s wire nut when you were working on the other wires, did you?

When I choose the original thermostat connections in the app it instructed me to use the C adapter.

Unless something happens on the wiring between the thermostat to the wire nuts by the air handler (the shade of some wires is different from the other end) this is the way things were originally.

The thermostat W was connected to the heat pump with no connection to the air handler.

The thermostat W2 was connected to the air handler controller board W1 and to the heat pump.

W2 on the air handler controller board had a wire connected that did not connect to anything (and was not stripped so had not been connected and came loose).

I did not loosen O/B wire because there was not one. I did not loosen the W to the heat pump wire.

In your diagram, W on the Wyze thermostat is connected to W on the C wire adapter and the W wire out of the C wire adapter is connected to W1 on the air handler controller board and also to the heat pump.

Also O/B on the Wyze thermostat is connected directly (via a wire nut) to the heat pump.

Any suggestions?

Shut off power to the heat pump and open the access panel and take a picture.
You do want to use the C adapter, but during setup, you must not tell it that you have a C wire if you are using the C adapter or it will not work properly.

I did not tell the app I have C wire during set up. I told it the connections that I listed in my second post above.
The thermostat connections are
W2 white
G green
W blue
Y yellow
RC red

The app then said to use the C wire adapter.

I will try to photo the heat pump tomorrow but we had big storms today and they are also predicted for the next few days. I will not fool with the heat pump if there is any chance of a storm.

Photo of the heat pump connectors is below. The wires shown in the photo are only short ones and are connected by wire nuts to the wires coming from the air handler controller. These are the colors of the air handler wires that are connected to the heat pump
Yellow>Y
Blue>B
White>D
Red>R
Brown>C

I read on another forum threat that “The switch hot / cold option is ONLY for people with a heat pump.” I do not see that option in the app after I add the thermostat. Does it know I have a heat pump? If not, where in the setup do I tell it?

Also does the photo help you to decide on the correct wiring?
Thanks.

During setup, when you tell it that you have a O/B wire, that’s how it knows you have a heatpump.
If you go to advanced settings, you should see something that says swap hot and cold or similar.

If you disconnect W1 from the wyze (just tuck it back into the hole temporarily so that it doesn’t short out on anything) and put it into heating mode, does your outdoor A/C fan run? do you feel warm or room temperature air coming out of your vents indoors?

So when the app asks me what terminals are connected on my old thermostat I should indicate the O/B even though it is not connected? I did not do that but can try tomorrow.

Yes, you need to tell it you have an o/b wire.

I did not try unhooking the W1 yet, will try tonight or tomorrow.

Last night tried telling the Wyze app that the wire connected to W on the old thermostat was O/B. So the app thought the old connections were W2, O/B, G, Y, and Rc. Connected the blue wire to the O/B terminal on the Wyze thermostat and the white wire to the W terminal. Followed app directions. Testing got no compressor on H1 and no cooling on C test (if I remember correctly).
Set things back to the way they were when it thought I did not have a heat pump as we need A/C now.

When the app asks about the heating system, with a heat pump do I answer electric and forced air for both sets of questions?

Yes
if you didn’t have either heating or cooling, then you have something hooked up incorrectly, most likely the C adapter’s Y terminal. If it was reversed, then you need to go to settings>advanced> swap heating and cooling.
Take pictures of your current thermostat wiring and your C adapter wiring.
Did you reset both the thermostat and the app?

You should not hook the O/B wire to anything but O/B on a wyze. You can damage your heatpump if you hook things up incorrectly. I’ve told you several times that your “W” wire is an O/B wire, not a W wire.

Yes, you told me but it doesn’t work. You never mentioned we could damage the heat pump and neither did Wyze at any point in the installation! We need to do something to cool the house!

I already told you what my connections are. Photos will not help as the wires going from the c adapter to the controller board go to to wire nuts and it is not possible to photo the wire nuts well enough in the confined space to see the connections . The yellow wire that was attached to the Honeywell Y terminal and to Y on the controller board and to Y on the heat pump now goes to Y on the C adapter and from there to Y on the controller and Y on the heat pump. That is what your drawing showed.

Can you tell me how to safely connect the thermostat and cool the house until we can trouble shoot the heating issue? If not, I will reconnect the. old thermostat and return the wiring to its original state.