Heads up! - security risk on shared wyze cameras

I agree. [Mod Edit] Without all this arguing and giving examples and what not, Wyze really should allow primary users to pick what guests can do. The default in my opinion should be nothing but watch the stream without audio. Everything else should be an option. It can’t be that big of a deal to do?

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

[Mod Edit] As SO many others have said, there are ways to control the access others have. It’s not rocket science.

1 Like

Jeffs… since you created a check list for your wyzecam pan, use scheduling for each activity. I set my cam on a schedule to turn on and off. I turn off the inside cam when I get home but sometimes always forget to turn them on when I leave to work. So… at 8:00 , go through your check list of what is “Normal”. The do the same scheduling on your check list every 3 hours. So if the grandparents accidentally turn off the cam. The outrage is until the schedule kicks in…

For me my cam turns on when no motion is detected for 1 hour and on 8:00 am

1 Like

[Mod Edit] don’t get me wrong, I see your point, and why you don’t like that particular feature, but that doesn’t mean you should totally get your way, like others have said, what about the rest of us, who are sharing our account, cameras, passwords, Facebook details etc etc. with people WE TRUST cause we’re not paranoid about them turning on us? I mean seriously. If you have to doubt sometime that bad, that’s already not a good sign, that alone should be enough reason to revoke any access that person has to anything you own/possess. Have you thought about [talking] to the company that makes your door locks, for allowing people YOU shared a key with, the ability to come in and out at their will? Hmmmm, I wouldn’t think so. Get rid of your Wyze cameras and go buy Ring ones and pay a monthly fee, then come back and tell us your experience. We’ll be here, patiently waiting for you.

2 Likes

Agree with axbello. [Mod Edit] Share is a good feature. There is most definitely a time i want to ‘surrogate’ my authority to another. What needed here is simply a request for feature update. Do surrogate (share) function with full root auth and a lessor share with minimal auth. And please stop crying!

2 Likes

Some posts have been that did not follow the Community Guidelines, specifically the following sections. Please flag posts violating the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

Bottom line, if you are not able to participate in this discussion without referring to the characteristics of another member, then please refrain from posting.

4 Likes

@JeffS

Here is the fundamental problem (as viewed by a high level exec with 30 years of SW dev.)… your need/opinion, are in fact NOT the specifications as to what Wyze has decided to code the feature to perform. They choose to deliver/not deliver certain features of the “Share” based on a larger majority of what their users need /want. You may not agree with it, nor may it meet your needs, but that does not mean its a security risk, or a problem.

A “share” by it’s very nature does imply some level of trust that Wyze has designed into the product. You can tell they have taken into account some aspects of a “share” as they have a list/revoke, and some functions are limited. (like viewing the sd card). so yes, they have given it thought, they made a decision based on what they beleive is the best compromise for the majorty of thier users, and they have coded it as such,

again you may disagree, (that’s your prerogative) but it does not mean its a security risk/wrong.

5 Likes

Very well said thank you for posting that!!

As JeffS did with his abusive rant about wyze team? Sometimes a moderator has to Stop playing mommy.

1 Like

I mean, this is more so a rant about one singular user’s preference than any sort of “Heads up”. I don’t quite follow the anger or rage expressed by OP because I can’t ever envision giving access to anything on my Wyze account to someone other than my wife.

@Loki , based on the lack of constructive feedback and mod reminders/edits, it looks like this thread is doing more harm than good. Perhaps time to just lock this?

2 Likes

I understand your argument, but I agree with the community more. Stop sharing, revoke them and change passwords. I do think Wyze should give you the options of what shared users can do. The company I work for allows the admin to add users, but the admin can choose what the users have access to and can or can’t change.

1 Like

FYI - Functionality is not the same as a security risk. If you don’t trust someone, don’t share your information or cameras with them. Personally, the person I share my cameras with should have access to change 100% of the options I can. This isn’t a “security risk on shared wyze cameras”. That’s a nice title to get people to read your rant but not accurate.

LOL! Cancel the share. In the app, go to “Account” from the bottom menu, then “Sharing”, tap on the user’s email, and click the red remove icon to revoke access.

Again, this is functionality available in the app. This is functionality I personally have no issue with. Why would they allow sharing at all? If it’s a feature you do not like, you can revoke the share.

2 Likes

I was told by @Loki one that he wasn’t going to close a thread because even though IT HAD GONE WAY OF TOPIC it was still within guidelines. So if he closes this one I would feel that he’s not being consistent. You might not like what people are saying, you might not like their comments but they’re STAYING ON TOPIC AT LEAST.

1 Like

We try hard here not to shut down threads because of anti-Wyze sentiments or passionate arguments about a feature (or non-feature). The arguments tend to die down once everybody has had their say and it runs its course.

However, when members start attacking each other instead of the subject/idea, that is not tolerated. Those comments will be deleted. If those posting such comments persist, they will eventually be given a timeout from the forum.

Please be respectful of each other and address the idea, not the person.

6 Likes

YAWN. If you don’t trust someone, don’t share your cameras with them. If you used to trust someone, but stop trusting them, just stop sharing your cameras with them. Problem Solved.

1 Like

Judging by the latest responses I don’t think many are reading beyond the original post. :slightly_smiling_face:
There have been some good points made by the OP and others.

2 Likes

No worries, I saw A LOT of mod edits due to violating community standards and thought this thread was going down the same path as that last thread where the guy was ranting about people spying on you if you use cameras indoors.

2 Likes

After repeated warnings, the community guidelines continue to be flagrantly violated in this thread.

In this situation, the moderators’ instructions are to temporarily close the comments and to call in a Wyze employee. The Wyze employee may open comments again after they have a chance to review this thread.

7 Likes

After review, this thread will not be re-opened.

11 Likes