Have Wyze Doorbell Use Existing Chime

You gotta love the fanboy enthusiasm tho.

2 Likes

I just got my doorbell and was surprised that it is wired but doesn’t work with the existing chime. Hoped to replace a Ring doorbell that does that and can also work without wires. I think Wyze missed the point. I will be returning it.

2 Likes

Why would you order a door bell that clearly stated it was wired and didn’t use the chime? They even released the videos of how to bypass chime as part of the announcement.

1 Like

I saw the wired doorbell and it was from Wyze so it had to be good. I didn’t see anything about the existing chime being disconnected and didn’t see any videos, just the email about it. Just expected a better product from Wyze.

4 Likes

It’s called wired because it’s wired into the electrical system, and is not battery powered.

1 Like

I wish I had been reading these comments before trying to install it. Waited months and was hoping for something good. Will be returning it,

Also, my ZModo wired doorbell I use on my front door works with the existing chime. The only thing they had to do was send me a resister to wire in similar to the “fuse” thing Wyze uses which stopped the bell from constantly emitting a low buzzing.

2 Likes

I am also disappointed !!!

WTF Wyze?!?

Is there a work around for this or am I returning the product?

There is no workaround, it was always designed to bypass the chime which is why one was included.

Have doorboll also use the existing home chime system, Also sell doorbell with 2 chimes. Also as of today no additional chimes can be ordered.

1 Like

It seems a possible approach that would allow the Wyze doorbell to co-exist with an existing wired doorbell might be achieved with some additional engineering on Wyze’s part… If the Wyze doorbell could operate on a DC current (split from the current AC wiring voltage), and if an opposite DC voltage split from the current AC current would be able to actuate the current in-house ringer (via added diodes in each circuit), perhaps a co-existant-wiring sharing could be done. Without some added engineering insight being added, I don’t see a way to use the Wyze doorbell in either of two differing systems to which I’d wish to apply it…

1 Like

A second approach (for triggering the existing ringer from the Wyze modified doorbell circuitry) would be to provide a modified version of the supplied sounder device, which instead of plugging into an AC socket would tap into the existing doorbell AC voltage (14-24vac) and instead of (or in addition to) beeping, would complete a circuit (via a relay, likely) to trigger the existing ringer.

2 Likes

Two reasonable ideas to keep the function of the existing doorbell. Would wyze collaborate with the community to help we implement a workaround that can work for who want to keep the existing ringer bell?
If not, do we have collaborators that can start a parallel project were we can develop it for the community? That is kind of frustrating that the solution wyze proposed was to bypass my beautiful sounded existing bell. I think we can do better than this.

1 Like

Agreed! I had no idea that I would have to bypass my existing doorbell chime. This sucks.

2 Likes

Someone said they never planned to keep the existing doorbell chime. That is a shame in my opinion as I have also assumed I would be able to keep mine, like we can do with others wired smart door bell on the market.
I am thinking on trying some reverse engineering next week to see I can imagine a solution/workaround.
I am planning to post here in case I get any progress on getting a workaround done.

3 Likes

Agreed. My doorbell chime is high on the wall in my main hall - and there is no outlet anywhere near that would provide the same “audibility”. And I love the sound of my doorbell - no idea why Wyze would have assumed that people would be fine with replacing their chime. Someone did not think this through. I hate to return mine as I waited so long for it - but I won’t bypass my existing chime. Not doing it.

2 Likes

Although I love the loudness, vast options of chimes and simplicity of the Chime plug that comes with the video doorbell, it would be great if they could add the ability to use an existing hardwired doorbell with or without the Chime plug-in, similar to SkyBell and other video doorbells. Overall, I am happy with it but the ability to integrate with the existing home chime would be optimal.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t understand why we are discussing this thing here as a surprise controversy. The engineering teams behind this had to cross these concerns off at the earliest steps and felt that there would be more folks that were happy with getting a cheap doorbell than having one that covered the basics of BEING a doorbell.

All the other stuff (camera, scale, vacuum, watch) covers the basics and the doorbell has been around longer than most things on this list. Don’t you understand that this is about as basic as it gets?

1 Like

CakeOD36 I disagree with you. The fact that I have to disable my wired doorbell is something that I absolutely did not anticipate in this product. I have the doorbell sitting unused in its box, and will most likely have to give it away now. I was not after a “cheap doorbell” - I was after a GOOD PRODUCT which I have come to expect from WYZE. The vacuum is an excellent vacuum and works beyond my expectations. You must not own one if you think it just “covers the basics”.

2 Likes