Has anyone gotten the Wyze thermostat to actually turn on Stage-2 heating with a gas-forced air system?

So they disconnect W1 when W2 is called upon, yet they connect the fan (G) whenever W1 is on, bypassing the furnace’s control and forcing the fan to activate prematurely. Unbelievable! It seems that the design engineers do not have a basic understanding of how HVAC works. Very disappointing. Hope they straighten their software out ASAP.
I would like temp differential for second stage, but my American Standard/Trane furnace needs a delay between when W1 activates and when W2 activates. If they both turn on at the same time, the furnace goes into an automatic 10 minute timer for Stage 2. So I am doubtful that Wyze can implement this properly. In Wyze’s (& other manufacturer’s ) defense, it is difficult to get this to work with all the different configurations out there.

1 Like

That’s the great thing about smart devices, if the manufacturer allows you to make advanced changes yourself, all of those settings could be customized by the users to fit their specific system. Wyze needs to just program an interface that allows us to set our differentials, time delays, etc to make the thermostat work the best it can with our systems. After all, the people using the system probably know how they expect their furnace to work more than any software designer does…

1 Like

I got this reply back from Wyze support. Would someone like to verify if it works like this? If it does, then I’m ready to buy a second one for my two stage furnace. I only have one setup at my mom’s place which is a one-stage only.

As for the Stage 2 heating, here’s how it works:

1. When the temperature difference between the current temperature and setpoint temperature is more than 5° F, heat stage 2 will kick in.
  2. When heat stage 1 has been working for more than 30 minutes without reaching the setpoint temperature, heat stage 2 will kick in.

I want to note that the heat and cool stages change based on two factors; the differential temperature (set temp - current temp), and default run time. After the default run time, if the current temperature has not reached the set temperature, the system will move to the next stage.
• Stage 1: 1 - 5 degrees from the set temp
• Stage 2: 5 - 10 degrees from the set temp
• Stage 3: 10 - 15 degrees from the set temp

No idea, because stage 2 heat is improperly coded, it turns off W1 when it turns on W2. Pretty much all furnaces will not run in stage 2 without a call on stage 1 as well.

1 Like

What @speadie said! And I’d like the temp and time user defined/controlled.

Is this still an issue? I have furnace set to manage Stage 2 and have lost track.

I think we still have to wait until the next firmware update which is v.1.1.3 to get this working like it should. Like speadie said above, W1 is still inexplicably turning off when the 2nd stage, W2, turns on. The other major change with this update is to be able to independently control the fan. (Right now, the thermostat waits 15 seconds to turn on the fan after a call for heat. If you want the furnace to control this, you need to either disconnect the fan (G) wire, or short it to the Y terminal if you have AC, thus losing fan control.) So between both of these, I’m waiting before I get a second thermostat. A recent update I got from Wyze support said that there is no date set for the firmware release. :frowning:

The current firmware version is 1.1.6. That will probably not have the fix, but the main point is that they are working on updates :slight_smile:

The solution to the second issue (the fan running during heat) is telling wyze you have a G wire and a radiator/boiler. At least until wyze fixes their programming.

you can just leave the G wire disconnected at the control board & have the furnace control the fan…that’s what I did on mine

Thanks, Ken. I made an error in my post and I corrected it.

Has anyone tested the stage 2 heat issue with the latest firmware updates? in the release notes I noticed 1.1.6 states updated control logic but does not give any specifics.

I would be curious about this too - both the level of control and whether it really works like it’s supposed to. Currently, I have the furnace jumpered to automatically kick-on stage 2 after 10 minutes and that seems to work for me. But I would like to know about the details if anyone has set this up.

I have not tested recently due to persistent 90 degree weather, but before summer hit, I noticed the tstat would activate stage 2 heat after 30 min delay. As far as I am aware, there are no controls for this, and I haven’t seen any communications.

Now that the weather is getting cold again, anyone test the thermostat with the new firmware and can affirm that it fixes the stage 2 issue?

I had a new A/C and furnace (Hiel both two stage). When I tell the TSTAT the wires I have it tries both stages in the self test. The second stage on A/C and the furnace both do nothing. I then switched the dip switches and jumpers to let the control board handle the stages.

Called WYZE Support. They opened a ticket and assured me it should work if you selected the same settings (forced air gas) for both stages. I advised them that it drops W1 when W2 is activated (Y1 and Y2 for A/C). They wanted me to reset the TSTAT and remove/add into the app again. I advised that I had already done that numerous times. At that point I put everything back to letting the control board handle everything and set the TSTAT back to single stage.

Long story short - no it still doesn’t work.

I would have been very pleasantly surprised if Wyze got this all sorted out and 2nd stage heat actually could be programmed in different ways (temperature differential and/or time). For example, I would like to see Stage 2 come on immediately if there was a temperature differential of 4 degrees or more, so if the thermostat is setback at night, say to 62, it would immediately go to Stage 2 in the morning. By turning on 2nd stage heat immediately, it would warm the house faster. This would also be a good choice if you walked into a cold house and didn’t want to wait for the 2nd stage to cycle on. This is the way the old mechanical thermostats worked, with temperature differential, since there would be a mercury switch for Stage 1 and a 2nd mercury switch for Stage 2.

The way it is now set, my furnace just waits 10 minutes before it automatically goes to the 2nd stage. But truthfully, it’s not that big of a deal to wait the 10 minutes, so I doubt that Wyze is going to spend too much time on it. It does make me wonder how many people have a Stage 2 heating furnace and the furnace never transfers to Stage 2 heating, either because the furnace is not set up correctly, or the thermostat doesn’t handle it properly.

You can always wire the furnace to go straight into Stage 2 all the time, but this is not recommended for normal running operation.

Update as of 5 April 2022: Had a new 2 stage gas fired furnace installed in February. After a couple of months of furnace misbehavior due to several issues, an HVAC tech just left having solved the last problem: The Wyze thermostat still does not signal the furnace correctly for Stage 2. He had to set the furnace controller board to handle it itself.