Has ANYONE gotten a Wyze watch that the O2 sensor works accurately?

Not me. See the following URL.
http://hja.dx.am/WyzeWatch47-SpO2

I have checked mine over and over with the pulse/ox meter we have at the house. I have also checked it against the pulse/ox at my doctor’s office twice since I got the watch. In EVERY case it is either right on or one digit off. Of course, I have great O2 sats since I never smoked. My O2 sats always run around 98-99. Maybe that’s why mine appears fine. When I checked it again this morning, my pulse/ox meter originally showed a 99 reading and the watch showed 98. Just as I looked again, the pulse/ox dropped to 98. I always check on the same arm as the watch.

1 Like

Yours is a typical response. Most people without lung issues read at 97% to 99%, which is healthy and normal. People who have a need to monitor their o2 have readings that can swing from 89% up or down…and down is not good. Think stroke. Many times there are no physical indications that the o2 levels are low, til it’s too late.
So, testing at 97% to 99% is normal, and that accounts for the vast number of people who test. Consequently, the vast number of people buying the watch have no issues. I hope I have been clear here. Finally, let me be clear. I would not rely solely on the watch as accurate and reliable, in protecting my health and life. I would use it as an indicator that there are possible problems, and to follow up with other measuring equipment, increasing oxygen input, etc. There are legal implications that I am sure WYZE doesn’t want to deal with. They have stated that they are going to issue a return authorization, and I will return the watch. Haven’t seen it yet, though. Will keep the forum updated. Hope this has helped, and I hope they remove that feature from the watch before disaster strikes.

2 Likes

Excellent response. Thank you.

1 Like

Been there, huh Rich?

1 Like

Wow! I hope that you just finished exercising to have that pulse, otherwise you have other problems! :wink:
See the post by csullivan1252 below. He/she hit the nail on the head.

You do not want to hold your breath. The oximeter measures the o2 in real time, AS YOU BREATHE. I can’t tell you what the watch does.

I have to agree with your point about relying on this watch for accurate readings. Anyone who would rely on a $20 multi-function device for crucial medical information about their health needs to rethink their plan.

3 Likes

Very good reply. The thing is, a company could put out an blood O2 device that only ever displays the numbers 97, 98 or 99 and it would be called accurate by probably 80% of the people using it, if not more. Of course it wouldn’t be, it would simply be displaying a normal reading for most people and worthless for actual analysis.

1 Like

Or better yet just give us stickers that display 98.

1 Like

I think that’s what they did! :wink:

Really, my watch reads fine and agrees with my finger pulse oximeter, a nice healthy high % number. I did slip a piece of 3x5 card stock behind the watch and got a reading of 85%, so the watch CAN show lower readings. It was a one time deal though, I couldn’t reproduce the effect.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the watch (a 47), great battery life, good heart and sleep monitoring, exercise logger, time and weather all are simple and satisfactory. And I often text a shopping list to myself for quick display on the watch, nice!

3 Likes

I got the same results with mine as far as matching my pulse/ox meter. I also tested my readings against the readings that my doctor was getting and they matched.

I got tired of my son telling me that I needed an Apple watch for $200 - $400. I jumped right on this when it came out. It was cheaper than an analog watch at WalMart.

Same here. It will not get a reading on my wrist 9 out of 10 tries. If I place the sensor over my finger, it works with no probem. Pulse does work without issue, however.

From the responses I’ve read, I’m not seeing anyone with a low SpO2 (below 95%) state the watch is reporting this accurately compared to a finger monitor. Placing card stock between the watch and your wrist doesn’t count, but is interesting. Having a sensor that spits out healthy numbers is worthless if they are not really accurate. Spitting out incorrect readings on a schedule is also worthless. From articles on the internet, I don’t get a good sense that any devices are reading SpO2 accurately at the wrist. Again, this means individuals that have a lower than healthy 95+% type numbers. It is when it drops low (below 95%) that indicates an issue and I get no indication of accuracy at these levels.

1 Like

My watch does not read the O2accurately. I had a Samsung phone with the Samsung Health app, and it had an O2 sensor for the fingertip that was accurate. For some reason they did away with it. Now I just use the gizmos that you put on the end of the finger, since my O2 is in the low 90s. I agree, I know of nothing that reads from the wrist accurately. I think Wyze messed up with their vendor on this issue.

I’m in my '70s and never smoked, so my readings are always in the very high 90s. I will say this though. When I take a reading on the watch with my pulse/ox meter on the same side, it changes right along with the pulse/ox meter. I still wouldn’t rely on a $20 smart watch for medical data.

Try holding the watch SpO2 sensor on your fingertip and see if it isn’t closer to your clamshell/fingertip type reader. This morning, the watch on my fingertip read 88% and 90%, within 2 points of my fingertip clamshell reader. On my wrist, the watch was reading 99%. Naturally, the app failed to transfer the low readings to my phone. SMH. I’m thinking the SpO2 technology (on the watch) works on the fingertip, but not on the wrist based on internet articles and my own overly simplified experiments. IANAL, but Wyze should consider a disclaimer and probably should not move forward with a scheduled SpO2 option giving false readings. Especially, with low readings not transferring to the phone. IMHO, it doesn’t read low SpO2 on the wrist properly nor transfer critical low readings to where you could review them and even worse, gives misleading healthy readings. Having a device I can take off my wrist and check my SpO2 on my fingertip on the go is a good thing, but having the watch display a false positive number from the wrist is misleading at best. If people are expecting this to track SpO2 overnight, on your wrist, forget it. Wyze needs to resolve the data transfer issue, but they can’t make more capillaries available at the skin level on most people’s wrists.

1 Like

I agree.

Don’t intend to diagnose or anything, but for some ppl, they wouldn’t expect to see the same SpO2 readings betwixt fingers and wrist. For example a gal I know has finger temp below RT. She said “Raynaud’s syndrome“. These folk often have bluish fingers bc of low blood flow there. I have no idea whether it affects extremities other than fingers and toes, but the wrist surely reflects the body core O2 more accurately than the fingertips for those folk and others. So I’d bet the wrist SpO2 is, generally speaking, more consequential for everyone. Of course to each their own.

A scheduled O2 reading would be a great wishlist item!

1 Like