Hard wiring an IR light

We have a dusk to dawn motion sensor light overlooking our driveway. Since it’s a dusk to dawn unit, it’s always getting power.

Has anyone had luck hard wiring an IR light to a unit like that? I’m figuring that’s the easiest way to get power to it vs wiring a plug to the junction box(the light is mounted to), then dealing with weatherproofing the setup.

Any thoughts or solutions are welcome!

You might want to consider looking at the consumer IR blasters on Amazon as most of the products comes with a built-in photocell for darken sky operations only, which helps with energy savings.

I suggest purchasing a single unit and experimenting with the video capture quality as IR lighting works differently than normal spectrum lighting - to much IR and the videos are washed out, such as facial details are gone.

Here is a favorite unit:
Tendelux 80ft IR Illuminator | AI4 No Hot Spot Wide Angle Infrared Light for Security Camera (w/Power Adapter)

• SPECIAL - Upgraded from the most classic mini 4 LEDs IR illuminator with all-around better materials and first ever in black coating
  • UP TO 80FT EFFECTIVE RANGE - 4 x 1 watt high power 850nm LEDs, 90 degree flood light spread, pairs with CCTV camera of 2.8/3.6/4 mm lens
  • EVEN ILLUMINATION - An IR band pass filter added for reducing hot spots and preventing overexposure of foreground objects
  • PREMIUM QUALITY - CE/RoHS/FCC certified, outdoor IP65 rating, low maintenance with built-in CdS photocell for automatic day/night (off/on) switch
  • WHAT YOU GET - 1 x 4W infrared illuminator, 1 x plug and play 12VDC 0.5A power adapter, installation screws, 1 x user manual, 2 years warranty and lifetime support
1 Like

Thanks! I have that exact unit at our weekend house. Due to the complexities of adding a plug at that location(our main house), I’d like to find something I can hard wire. It will make the weather proofing aspect a lot easier.