Greater Control Over Detection Zone Shape

THIS. In my house I have a tree just in the middle of the cam and it gets triggered a lot just by the wind blowing, I would like to select everything but the tree, so I’ll have 90% less false alerts

3 Likes

Does that mean you’re using the IR sensor outdoors? I know they’re not outdoor-rated but I’m curious about how well they might hold up, and what other people might be doing to protect them from the elements.

I’m guessing they’d probably be okay under an eave or something, but it would be really useful (for me) to mount one on a tree or telephone pole. But it would be VERY exposed with that setup, so I’d definitely want to do something to try to prevent water ingress

1 Like

I hope this gets implemented. Polygon-based seems like the most robust method. Polygons contained within other polygons could function as masking zones, too. Something raster-based with a marker/fill/eraser tool would probably work just as well, too. You could just color in the lines where you want motion detected. But really, ANY solution would be most welcome.

The most flexible and preferred approach would be:

1. Allow to draw polygons or lasso like enclosed areas anywhere on the detection zone.
  2. By clicking on an enclosed area u have two choices - one click to include another to exclude.
  3. The excluded zones could have a grey translucent background so it is clear what zones are included or excludes.

Programmatically hopefully it’s a simple extension. If i was doing it based on zones defined above every pixel would either be tagged as included/excludes and change in state of sufficient number of contiguous pixels would constitute a motion detected. I have to assume they are already doing something similar. The UI for zone definitions is where the heavy lifting for this needs to be done

Hello, what is the status of having this feature implemented?
The Arlo cameras I used to use had this feature, and I feel it is a big omission for the Wyze cams not to have it. I also can not believe it would take much work to add this feature.
Any word on the status?
Thanks!

You can look at the status tag at the top, if you see it has changed to researching you will know it is more of a possibility instead of maybe-later.

4 Likes

I’d like to see this feature added, too. I guess a grid would be the easiest to implement. The more sections in the grid, the better.

3 Likes

I also would like at least grid feature. These are great camera’s but detection zone is terrible compared to other cameras.
This is the only reason I hesitate to purchase more.
Can we please see a firmware upgrade for this?

1 Like

Yes! Exactly like this. Where you can shape the detection boxes and are not stuck to a “grid” of squares and rectangles. This more “freeform” detection setting is exactly what we need!
I won’t be buying any more cameras until I know this feature is a definite as it is very important in the set up I was trying to put together.

2 Likes

It would be nice to have more than one detection area, non-contiguous.

1 Like

For me, a “ignore” zone would work because everyone one of the indoor cameras I have set up has a TV somewhere in the field of view.
For the most general case, a grid (with small rectangles) that can have areas on or off is probably the best while still being easy to code. Custom shapes that you can draw with your finger on the app give the user the most freedom, but are very difficult to code and make work properly.

Would love to see “scheduled detection zones” as well. For example after midnight to 8 am it would be nice to change my detection zone and then limit it again during the day.

4 Likes

Overall the camera its self is pretty good in terms of video quality. The issue that I really have with it is the motion detection window that you can refine in the app to alert you on your phone when something crosses into that zone. The app only allows you to create a rectangle hot zone area for detecting things. I have the camera installed at my apartment front door which overlooks the community front gate. So it picks up motion for every single car and person that walks into the. community. Now it also catches my front door perfectly. However, the window that I have set near my door picks up every bit of motion by the cars. I wish the window (hot zone) tool was more intuitive so that you could draw with your finger the zones you want to be ignored and the spots you really want to keep an eye on. Can this detection window tool please be updated to be able to draw what to watch and what you want to exclude rather than make a window are to watch.

1 Like

With mine, everything outside of the box is ignored.

I don’t see any one driving or walking past my house unless they enter my front yard or green box.

For me it tends to pick up detection on things not even in the specified window. Other times it does if they happen to clip through it. However, I’m on the second floor in my apartment and it catches all the traffic that comes in and even my door. I’d just like to be able to refine it better by coloring the areas it should watch. But everyones camera set up will be unique to that location.

2 Likes

Wyze please try to do this!

1 Like

Yes that too! Great idea.

2 Likes

Looking at the threads in the roadmap forum you can see that fan votes doesn’t play a big role into feature or product roadmap.

1 Like

Fan votes do play a part, but not the only part, they look at it in a business sense also with how it fits and I am guessing cost vs benefit. Fan votes give them an idea of where the interest lies to some degree, you also have to remember the amount of people that come here is slim compared to the amount that own cams. I am also guessing from announcements they did at the Wyzies the other day that they are trying to broaden the user base by tackling more areas.

Bottom line, in my opinion, this is one of the best companies I have seen when it comes to actually listening to and interacting with the users. That is one of the reasons I volunteer and help out (I am not an employee, just a user like the resr)

I also want greater control over detection zone shape, would make it much easier to aim the cameras

3 Likes

Additionally, many of the entries in the Roadmap category were moved over a while back and stopped accumulating votes for the most part. So topics that were very popular back then are looking less impressive in comparison these days.

3 Likes