Greater Control Over Detection Zone Shape

Just a request for more detailed detection zones. Would be great if there could be exclusion zones (boxes or circles maybe). Or just allow detection zones to be made up of multiple boxes potentially overlapping so a person can make up a detection area that’s not just a single box. For example a camera can have a bush in that gets blown by the wind; allowing exclusion of that sort of thing would be super helpful.

1 Like

A Grid style detection zone has already been launched but they had trouble with the firmware so it is on hold tell there is a fix

2 Likes

You don’t , it’s not ready for primetime yet

@UserCustomerGwen, How do we get this feature? I’ve uprgaded the app to 2.15.51 on Android, 2.15.41 on iOS, firmware is 4.9.6.199, and I still don’t see any changes. (I don’t see a beta version in the App Store or Google Play.) In fact, now both the Android and the iOS versions are limiting the minimum size of the detection zone area to a relatively large box. I’d be interested in helping to test it if it’s still beta.

When and will the smaller detection zone blocks be available for the V3 camera as it is already available for the V2

2 Likes

How do I get rid of the grid detection zone off the one camera that as it? I’m not getting ANY alerts from it now! Useless as a security cam now!

I have a row of bushes which appear diagonally in my cam. In the wind, all the leaves flutter causing motion tagging (and event triggering). However, instead of being seen as a small diagonal region of motion, the motion-tagging shows as the bounding box for the entire row of bushes, which is a much larger region than is actually moving. See attached grab.

This problem forces me to define a detection zone which excludes a MUCH larger than I would like to – I would like to exclude just the bushes and not the much larger bounding box for the bushes. Its very nice we now have “tiled” detection zone, but the motion tagging is still old school.

once the bugs are fixed with the tiled detection zone, it will be rolled out to public.

luckily the issues were caught before the general rollout.

2 Likes

Currently, detection zones are static and user-defined. I propose the notion of “Dynamic, Computed Detection Zones” where the camera keeps track of the recent motion-tagged regions and automatically excludes those regions which have frequently triggered an event. The more frequent the region appears in the list, the longer it should be an excluded region.

This would allow trees, leaves, shadows, traffic to be automatically excluded if they are triggering events often. Also, as the sun moves shadows around, the excluded regions could adapt as the older active regions decay out of the recent-event-list. This scheme requires no AI to ascertain what is triggering the event, it just blindly masks off regions which are triggering many events in a short period of time.

With this feature, Wyze could allow more than one 12-second event per 5-minute window as long as the trigger came from a region which is NOT recently triggered.

As for insects flashing across at night, this computed-zone scheme would not help, but another heuristic could be applied: very short duration events should be ignored.

it wouldn’t help during the winter either :frowning:

I think people are going to be sadly disheartened by all the false positives from snow in the coming weeks because of the increased sensitivity of the V3… nature of the beast I guess.

1 Like

WHAT? I just got a V3, and it still has the caveman box style detection zone system? Seriously?

2 Likes

Try turning up the detection sensitivity.

Please, be vocal about that missing feature that the V2s have and even I think the pan cam has it also I can’t imagine why they didn’t include it in the V3 which is the most superior camera they have produced to date they overlook that

4 Likes

I really wish the new detection zone grid was an option on the v3 and the outdoor. Seems like a stretch for the outdoor cam but the v3 should have launched with at least the same features that the v2 had.

1 Like

I posted about the same thing earlier, I really like the multi square grid it allows you to limit the amount of space that the camera scans for movement. I hope it’s just a firmware update that they will release

I was also very surprised that with also the improved hardware, the software took a step backwards. Very upsetting to constantly get false alerts due to the lack of motion detection zones. I invested in 4 cameras with solid hardware however due to the software short comings they are providing low value for my intended use.

Wyze, is your listening, please please at least bring the new v3’s upto the v2 functionality.

What’s this V2 / V3 stuff? I have four cameras, all less than a year old. Looking at the Device screen, it just says the device is a Wyze Cam, no V anywhere. I still have the single box for motion detection which is frustrating. App and firmware are all up to date. Can I not access this feature with > 8 month old hardware?

On the cams why don’t you make a selection panel for motion detection so you can select what areas you you want to allow motion. I know you can do a whole box but that doesn’t help if a little section in that box has a Small plant that moves and causes so many false motion events. Do a grid where you can select a smaller square to allow motion.

1 Like

Hi is the feature enabled on Android Wyzecam V3? I still have just a rectangle.

YES THIS would be great!