Got my Outdoor Cam Today with a surprise! Good and Bad

Love the little hat you sent us when got a few of these outdoor cams!! Only got one hat for 3 orders but oh well…

I was so excited for this product launch and love Wyze! After getting my camera in hand, i must admit i am disappointed. The quality is good, the product feels solid and being wire free is great. But the base station idea really gets to me. It must be necessary for some odd reason even though my home and business routers are far superior. It adds yet another plug to use, an antenna station and a wire directly into my router. This seems redundant and an unnecessary mess.

Why couldn’t it just work seamlessly with the current set up i use for all of my cams? Why add so much more hardware for a single camera? It just seems poorly thought out in the long run.

I also don’t like that it doesn’t pan like the Pan Cams do. While i understand why its not built in (battery usage i guess) its still a major disappointment for a long time fan.

Needles to say i am underwhelmed by the set up. The camera is actually pretty great minus the boondoggle of wires needed to make it wire free…

Excellent work launching this during very unusual times in the country! That alone deserves praise. But i beg you to go back to the drawing board and make the Outdoor Cam as easy to set up and use as any other Wyze product. So much clutter for reasons i am unsure of currently. But nonetheless, it was a great idea and will work for a lot of people i’m sure.

1 Like

The hub is needed to make the battery last longer between charges. The hub does the difficult work so the cam can save on battery.

4 Likes

You have probably already seen this video. But, in case you haven’t please check it out. They talk about what they did to maximize battery life. And the base (as Jason states) is a key component of that effort.

2 Likes

I’ve watched that video and still don’t understand what the HUB does to reduce battery usage.

1 Like

I thought there was mention in there that a lot of the wifi work is done on the hub so the camera does not need to devote resources (read battery use) to all standard wifi protocols. Instead, it only has to communicate with a known wifi hub. How exactly this saves battery life, I can only guess. We’ll just have to take their word for it.

I don’t think it saves that much battery life. I have some other battery cameras that don’t use a hub and they are rated the same battery life as the Wyze Outdoor camera. But I honestly doubt anyone will get 6 months between charges, as Wyze claims. I camera literally would have to only be in a standby state, meaning no viewing through the camera, no PIR alerts, no night vision turning on and no recording of any kind. I think most people will be lucky if they get one month between charges. This is why I think Wyze should have used a removable battery, to keep the camera back in service quickly.

I guess time will tell, won’t it. I was getting 14 weeks between charges and I was placing a heavy burden on my test camera. Other testers reported charges lasting over 20 weeks.

To charge a camera from 10% to 100% will take about 4 to 5 hours. If you tried to create a camera with a replaceable battery, it would require that it be much larger in size.

If you really want to minimize downtime, have a spare charged camera handy. At $40 a camera, problem solved.

1 Like

So if you had 4 cameras, you’d need 4 additional cameras…problem just got more expensive.

Sure, if you wanted to it that way. I would just need a single spare and move it around to the camera that needed to be charged. There is little chance that all of your cameras will have dead batteries all at the same time.

2 Likes

Actually considering the short battery life of battery cameras, all the cameras can need charging around the same time. I’ve experienced this with another brand.

You get a low battery warning at around 20-15% which gives you a pretty big window to swap and rotate cameras. If you let them drain all the way (which is not a good idea for lithium batteries in general) then sure you could be caught with multiple cameras down. This does seem pretty unlikely since the battery loss is event dependant and cameras in different locations should have pretty different results.

1 Like

The problem is that the battery level meter isn’t accurate. In fact, none are for Lithium Ion batteries.

Mine is. My Lithium batteries in Argo, Eufy, and other brands are accurate enough to give me days of warning. Plenty of time to recharge them even if they all went simultaneously. I just rotate a rechargeable battery bank between the cameras.

I have even recharged cameras in place that way in a downpour by judicious use of “blue tack” around the charging port and keeping the USB ports of the battery pack pointing down.

3 Likes

The battery discharge curve is non-linear but it is plenty accurate enough to give you time to swap a camera. I get around 1200 events over 85% of the battery which includes live viewing/changing settings so assuming the discharge is linear and to make math easy it is like 0.07% battery per event. The remaining 15% would give me in the ballpark of 200 events time to swap the camera. This is a lot of time unless your are constantly triggering the camera in which case you probably shouldn’t be using a battery camera in that location anyway.

How is buying another camera a solution? I’ve drank plenty of Kool Aid in my life, but please be sensible when responding to someone with a legitimate concern or recommendation. I hardly ever post on here because what I see is the “veterans” jump all over the “novices” when their points of views are different…

Buying a spare camera is “A” solution. As in, one of many possible solutions.

As to “how” it is a solution @mvb explained that. His suggestion was to have a spare camera that could be swapped with an existing camera while you were charging one.

Now in my mind that particular problem, maintaining camera coverage while the battery is being charged, can be solved in several ways. I personally do charging in place, meaning I bring a fully charged battery pack to the camera.

But everyone has a different situation that may call for different solutions. Do you perhaps have a unique situation we can possibly assist you with?

2 Likes

A spare camera seems like a reasonable solution to maintain coverage when it is priced as low as it is. A spare OEM arlo battery is around the same price as the Wyze Outdoor cam. Spare batteries for my drone and DSLRs cost even more.

1 Like

I love the passion and closeness of the presenters in the video. You can just see how excited they are to be a part of this project.

Excellent video with a lot of useful information if you pay attention. While I still have my concerns, I do feel more educated about the process it took to get this camera into my superfan hands.

While I’m never invited to test anything, I love hearing from those very first few people who tortured this camera before it got to me. Overall it’s a great accomplishment regardless of some issues.

1 Like

I’m sorry if my answer to a question bothers you. But, I do not feel your reply was warranted, I simply offered a solution to a problem that was presented. I fail to see how my reply “jumped all over the novices”. I am not here to try to convince anyone that if their “points of view are different” and they need to change. I know there are some people who do that, but I’m not one of them.

If someone posts a question or a problem, if I am able, I will offer a solution. If someone asks for opinions from people on the forum, I will offer one if I think it will help. What’s wrong with that? Isn’t that the whole point of these forums?

2 Likes

I don’t believe for one minute designing in a replaceable battery increases the cost to build the camera all that much. When Apple started this built in battery craze, the price of their products increased not decreased. I’d pay a few dollars more for a removable battery, for the convenience factor. And don’t use a proprietary battery pack, let consumers use off the shelf rechargeables.

1 Like