Google Home/Assistant Integration

I got Alexa & Google Assistant at Home. I just decided to focus on Google and bought Lenovo Smart Display for my home and Google Hub for my Mom.
You can count for us to buy cameras when you will have Google Assistant Compatibility!
2 New potential customers :wink:

That’s what we are looking at.

Update is that we are moving from requirements and high level design to implementation. The Dev team has to find cycles to start the work now.

3 Likes

It is at the top of the priority list. There is only one thing that is higher and will never be bumped down: operation! Or for people not familiar with the term, making sure that what you have is working as flawlessly as possible.

1 Like

The problem with Google Assistant is that we are at the mercy of the features that Google has defined. So if a function has not been planned by them, then I don’t think there is anyway to integrate it.
So our goal is a two steps approach. We want to cast the cam on Chromecast and Google Home first then look at the control command.

6 Likes

Something that nobody had asked (maybe possible with IFTTT) is to have the camera to trigger stuff (flood lights, alarms, doors, etc.

I got my first Wyze cam yesterday great cam, But without Google Assistant functionalityI this will be the only one I buy.

3 Likes

Pretty much any device that supports IFTTT THEN actions can be triggered by making an IFTTT applet with a Wyze motion detected step for the IF part of the applet.

1 Like

Yes this would be a great addition to the Lenovo Google Assistant that I recently purchased.

1 Like

Yes please. Alexa’s not really any incentive to me.

Could you elaborate? I understand the inverse. If Wyze exposes the appropriate things in their API, it should generally be possible to integrate with GA. What am I missing?

I am shocked Google integration is not available but Amazon integration is available. We all know Google is a way better ecosystem to use and will actually integrate well. Please build integration ASAP!

What makes you say that Google is a better ecosystem? My personal experience does not align with that statement.

Development is about to start.

@sjfloat Google, like Alexa, defines Device Type. The features available through those types are fixed. In the case of Alexa, you can augment the list of features by creating new intents in your skill.
According to a conversation that I had with a Google Engineer, there is no possibility to enhance the number of intents.
Now, I have found (literally yesterday) in the documentation that there is a possibility to create custom actions. I have not seen enough of it to see how everything mesh together but that would put it near on par with Alexa. Like is there a way to implement device type intents and custom actions in the same integration. If that works, we are good and have a way forward. If not, then we have a dependency on
Google to augment the default definition of a device type to be on par with our capabilities to expose all of them.
We have rest APIs for all the Wyze features and that’s how the mobile app interacts with the cameras. So we are good on our side.

Make sense? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Appreciate your hard work on this, this feature would help IMMENSELY! Being able to be in the kitchen and see my front door or the kids room is exactly what’s needed. We own 5 Wyze cams and will be getting more.
This would definitely bring it home and would be a selling point to pretty much anyone that walks into one of our homes and sees it work. Talk about free advertising, I know everyone would show this off!

2 Likes

Thank for the development update and the detail explanation of the work to be done. The news can’t come at a better time while you guys are running the 3 pack special. I will pick up a pack if I don’t get them as my Xmas gift. I just wish there is a multi pack special for the CamPam…

1 Like

Thanks very much. Look forward to hearing more news on this. :slight_smile:

given the requirements for display via chromecast which means creating a stream and url to push to the chromecast device/google home display, I hope that will open the door to easier access in home to the video feed for things like Home Assistant. my understanding of chromecast is the stream has to be sent in one of these formats: ‘HLS’, ‘DASH’, “Smooth Streaming”, “Progressive MP4”

You may have found this already but I figured I would make sure you have it.

1 Like

Yes. I also have access to unpublished documentation.

The traits mentioned is linked to the camera streaming and for that I think we are covered. But for example, the camera type does not define two way audio as a capability. That I’m not sure if this is something that can be added to our definition of the camera for Google Assistant or not.