Google Home/Assistant Integration

Would it be acceptably cheap for you to let the regular firmware act as an RTMP source? (I don’t know how much resources are required to serve over RTMP, but I guess you probably have the code to support the protocol already.)

Ffmpeg supports retrieving from RTMP sources, and Blue Iris (which is probably a good fraction of what people want to use with Wyzecam) definitely supports it. I beleive Kodi and vlc do too.

Having RTMP will not cover 100% of the RTSP requests, but if it would be cheap enough to put into the regular firmware, it would cover a good fraction of them, and maybe the rest can pester the maintainers of their clients to add support for RTMP sources.

I’m not 100% sure about what follows but my understanding is that you cannot initiate a connection to the camera using RTMP. Instead, the camera is initiating the connection to the server. This connection is requested through an IoT command also containing some code to validate the requester and a token for the server to authenticate the request.
As you can see, this is fairly complicated and the reason is that we are using that infrastructure for Alexa. So the endpoints are clearly identified and certificates are in place to serve Alexa and Google Assistant.

Again, I’m not 100% sure so it is possible that I have some or even everything wrong.

Awesome! Google Home Assistant integration would be awesome. This would be really cool on google hub.

2 Likes

HLS has significantly more latency than RTSP.

1 Like

Would love to be a beta tester for Google Assistant integration. Just ordered a couple of camera and looking forward to seeing this come to fruition. Until it does will have to checkout the IFTTT integration capabilities.

Would love to be able to see streams on my Home Hub.

2 Likes

Here’s how you can become a beta tester:

1 Like

Thanks again. I greatly appreciate that you are responding at all, even if you’re not sure of all the details. (I wish the forum would actually let me know when you respond though … It does on some threads, but apparently not on this one.)

It’s true that RTMP is most commonly used for live-streaming video upload to a server, but an rtmp client can use it to fetch data too . This was commonly done in flash-based video players, I believe.

Also, Nest uses rtmp to serve the video data from their cloud to clients. NVR software like Blue Iris and Foggycam supports fetching data via rtmp urls to get the data, and can thus retrieve video from the Nest cloud. (As a minor detail, it’s actually rtmps:// in the case of Nest, but it would work just as well if it were rtmp://)

If you think the costs of having the camera listen on a port and act as an RTMP server might be acceptable, perhaps you can consider this as an alternative that could be supported in the main firmware, and see if enough people would be okay with it. I’d LOVE to see something that wasn’t only restricted to an alternative firmware.

Thanks again!

The biggest problem that I see with our implementation of RTMP is that the camera is initiating the connection and not the other way around. Meaning, that this is not the client calling the device. Getting any client that is not controlled by Wyze is going to be near impossible for the moment and I don’t think that a lot of clients are able to just listen for an incoming RTMP connection.

I understand that this is less than ideal for the moment and we are trying to see how we can open up some of those options…

I’ve searched around and haven’t seen a direct answer to this, so I’ll ask it here:
Now that the Google Assistant integration is confirmed to be in development, do we know if this will require new hardware? Or is it only going to be pushed via a firmware update?

I am ready to press the button to buy a few more more v2’s and possibly a Pan, but I don’t want to if they won’t be compatible.

1 Like

I know you have stated that most if not all of you are prior Amazon personnel. Are you still affiliated with Amazon and thus resistant to supporting a direct competitor?

@kevin.slawinski, this should be able to happen without new hardware.

@heymak, we aren’t affiliated with Amazon like that (we do sell Wyze Cams through Amazon and have Alexa so there is a level of affiliation). We are actively working on Google Home integration. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen Thank you!!

1 Like

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Glad to hear this is in the works! I am very satisfied with the Wyze cam v2 so far but would love to have notifications pushed to my Google Home. Don’t need live streams, just looking to get Google Home to announce that a Wyze cam detected activity.

Will keep checking in on the status. Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Can’t wait! :smiley:

Is there any update regarding this request?

1 Like

This is the lastest update about integration.

4 Likes

Is there a planned time frame for Google Home Hub integration? This seems like a perfect use for a Google Home Hub, especially when using Wyze cams in a Nursery.

Moved your topic to the thread pertaining to your question. so you could VOTE on the topic, if you wish. :slight_smile:

Would love to use my Lenovo Smart Display to view my Wyze cams-- - which is basically comparable to the Google Home Hub - only that it has a larger screen 10" and as far as I am concerned better speakers. Is fully integrated in the googgle ECO system. I have it work with a couple of Arlo Pro 2 that I have outside the house where I don’t have power.