Ideas for Glass Break detection sensor

Interlogix Glassbreak Shock Detector, White (5150W) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016L6J5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_isQGDbMC8JQX4

This is what I was referring to. That is a high price but I am sure they could be found for a few bucks a piece if you buy them a few at a time. They are pretty simple devices that just complete a circuit when shaken which would happen in the case of glass breaking. The Wyze sensor is just looking for a completed circuit which is currently achieved with a magnetic reed switch. Replacing that can give the sensor all sorts of capability.

The camera already listens for smoke alarms. I wonder how difficult it would be for it to listen for broken glass or unusually loud banging, etc. Most of the sounds that you’d be worried about (loud banging, breaking glass) would be pretty high-decibel. You might get a false alarm if you’re doing construction or if you break something in the kitchen. But in most cases, I think the typical sounds of a break-in would be distinct enough that it could be feasible to detect them with the camera microphone

7 Likes

Yeah that would work too. I had to turn my smoke detection off because when my baby cried it would get triggered. I have recently was able to turn it back on but it probably depends on people’s comfort with different technologies and their situation.

1 Like

Place one side of the contact sensor on the glass and the other side on the frame. Only works if that portion was broken, however, with a stronger magnet the portion that resides on the glass can be mounted closer to a more common break area of the glass.

Test and works! when the test glass pane was broken the portion mounted to the glass falls away from the sensor and the contact is then Broken/open.

I cam up with this because my egress windows would not accept the contact sensor conventionally. So I created a mount that attaches to the glass and then had that eureka moment.

1 Like

Granted I now have 2 contact sensors on each window.
At 5 bucks a piece… Nominal for the POTENTIALLY added security.
I say potentially as the glass still may not break away at the mount point. My tests have shown that the sensor did not fall away 1/5th of the time… not bad though… 80% more secure-ish.
That’s a technical term.

2 Likes

Pssst, you can vote on that here. :wink:

3 Likes

In the meantime… If you have an Alexa enabled device you can enable Away Mode to get glass breakage notifications.

2 Likes

Your smart home devices are pretty cool but you are missing some essentials like the flood and glass breakage sensors. Would be great to see those in your arsenal as well.

3 Likes

You can find the thread on the leak sensor here, it is in development

2 Likes

Having been burglarized twice, both by breaking windows, glass breakage sensors are of utmost importance in a security system. Door sensors were activated as thieves were exiting…too late! Adding glass breakage sensors would help Wyze be more competitive with others like SimpliSafe and Cove.

6 Likes

I wonder if Wyze could also offer a wireless glassbreak sensor?
As far as I know they work off sound.
I have one from my alarm company and it is wireless, however, it is much bigger than a typical Wyze sensors.

2 Likes

Around 23% of home burglaries happen through either an open or broken window, so either a dedicated glass breakage sensor or a Wyze cam that can detect glass breaking is a must.

7 Likes

Many burglars break windows to enter the home. Currently, no Wyze product is able to detect glass breaking. A dedicated product would probably be best, but perhaps the microphone on the Wyze Cam could be leveraged for this purpose.

5 Likes

I don’t know about you but I personally wouldn’t want to add a sensor to ever window I have and if I’m out of town I would feel better knowing my alarm has a device that is able to detect the sound of a window breaking. This is the only thing keeping me from purchasing the alarm system. So it would be great if you could create an additional device to your sense line up that could detect the sound of a window breaking!

2 Likes

This is exactly what I am looking for as well. I have sensors for each window but would like to have glass break sensors in order to feel more comfortable with this much more likely scenario.

4 Likes

I agree wit1h the need for a glass Break detector. I’ve been trying to transition away from my older Simplisafe, but nobody else has glass break sensors and they’re a “must” for my home configuration and family usage.

1 Like

The glass break sensor is a “must have” for the Wyze home security solution. I live in a house with a lot of large, almost ground level windows. It would be extremely easy to break on of the windows to gain access and walk out with items, etc. I have pets and other things where a motion sensor is not adequate. I would sleep much easier knowing I can add glass break to certain rooms on the other side of the house to detect an intruder while we are all sleeping. Having lived through a robbery at another residence in 2011 where the thieves broke a window in the basement to gain access, a glass break sensor is necessary for proper home security.

4 Likes

Absolutely! We had glass break sensors decades ago. They are quite useful when we are home and/or asleep. Windows - especially on garages - are especially vulnerable.
It seems to me it would be very, very easy to add that frequency to any indoor camera. Or simply create a new sensor. I would buy 3 on day one - plus go to home monitoring. Without it, nope. In fact, I just canceled my home monitoring system order,

1 Like

Glassbreak detector for Home Monitoring

I can’t believe this is only a “maybe-later”. It should be “we’re working on it now” Wishlist.

4 Likes