Garage Door Controller Open Door Action

Why is there no open door action when creating a rule?

8 Likes

ā€˜Openā€™ wasnā€™t provided in Rules for security purposes.

4 Likes

https://forums.wyze.com/t/wyze-switch-additional-action-to-open-wyze-garage-door-controller/227448

8 Likes

Just got off the line with support and was surprised by the lack of an action to ā€œOpen the garage doorā€ when creating a rule.
Hoping this get visibility to be added as a feature or an explanation is provided as to why this is lacking currently.

4 Likes

ā€œOpenā€ was intentionally not provided for security reasons. To convince Wyze to add this feature, please add your comment to and/or vote for Additional action to ā€œopenā€ Wyze Garage Door Controller.

4 Likes

100% support of adding this feature.

3 Likes

From the considerable feedback Wyze received on the security flaws that were only flaws if someone was already on your network, it is unlikely they will ever add ā€˜open doorā€™ as a Rule option. :neutral_face:

1 Like

thereā€™s rules to unlock your wyze lock so why not garage?

3 Likes

Made a discovery today. Iā€™m connected via the ā€œshort the terminalsā€ process and it would appear that the ā€œClose The Garage Doorā€ rule command just trips the switch - it doesnā€™t specifically tell the door to open or close. I have it set up to close when I leave my home location. When I pulled out of the garage, I closed the door via the switch in my car (I was planning to use the Location Rule Command in Wyze as a backup in case I forgot to close the door). When I reached my destination I saw the notification that my door was open. I closed the door remotely with the app.

I then created a new enter Location Rule and chose ā€œClose The Garage Doorā€ as the action just to see if it would work. Sure enough, when I entered the location area it opened the door.

Itā€™s a work around for sure and I suspect that later garage door models that utilize the learn button wonā€™t work this way,

1 Like

What you experienced makes me wonder if it can see the QR code. Is the QR code calibrated? Can the camera see it well?

The way it should work is the GDC controller receives the command to close the door. It checks the QR code. If it sees the QR code in the closed position, it does nothing. If it does not see the QR code in that position, it shorts the terminals. Shorting the terminals can make the door open or close on all installations, but you only get unpredicable behavior if the camera canā€™t see the QR code when it gets to the closed position.

Are you getting Open / Closed pairs at expected times in Accessories > Garage Door Controller > Garage Door Events?

2 Likes

I hate hate hate this excuse. Let costumers opt into opening functions with a disclaimer and waiver. Let us decide for ourselves what security we need or want. So in their eyes its perfectly ok for somone to open my front door lock somehow using the triggers, but not the garage door? Its a senseless omission and is half the reason a lot of people buy wifi garage door openers.

4 Likes

I recalibrated and it now seems to operating correctly - although given the circumstances, I kind of liked it better when it wasnā€™t :upside_down_face: Thanks for the tip - always better to have it working properly.

1 Like

THIS. I purchased this expecting I could fully automate opening/closing based on my use cases. Can someone explain why itā€™s OK for a door lockā€“protecting entry in to your houseā€“but not a garage door?

2 Likes

Agreed, both allow entry into your ā€˜securedā€™ spaces,

Why are the two secured spaces treated differently? Why is my car and the garage (that most likely are separate from the house either physically or by an access door to the house (attached garage) more important than the contents of my home (myself and family)?

SJ

1 Like

Automating the opening/closing of the door was the main reason I purchased the controller. It was also advertised to work with Google Assistantā€¦which I have yet to be able to get it to work with. Very disappointed that I have neither of these functions available.

1 Like

Several months later and Iā€™m still waiting for an ā€œopenā€ action. You disappoint me Wyzeā€¦

2 Likes

This would be extremely useful - Iā€™m very disappointed as well. Iā€™ve tried everything I can think of to automate my garage door (Any homelink/homeassistant/openhab/homebridge, etcā€¦) - Iā€™m about to sell this, get another solution and advise everyone to stay away if your goal is to truly automate your garage. Iā€™m trying to use this as a replacement for Tesla Homelink - and itā€™s so clunky itā€™s nearly unusable. Pulling out my iphone, opening the Wyze app, selecting the camera, hitting the controller button. Why canā€™t I create a rule to open when I get home? Or at the very least provide the ability to use it in iOS shortcuts. The best I could do is get an automation to Alexa to open the garage door, but unfortunately that requires me to have the Alexa app open, and if iOS is locked then I canā€™t provide the authorization code. Iā€™m working my butt off trying to hack together a solution that should be standard, and nothing is working. Other than ensuring your door is closed in the middle of the night, this solution just isnā€™t useful.

1 Like

While I agree this would be a nice feature to have, one item of note that you might want to think about:

My Wyze Lock OPENED on itā€™s own recently while I was home.

1. I was home
  2. I had been home for awhile
  3. My wife just happened to be walking down the hall towards the laundry room where my Wyze Lock is installed, when she heard it open.

So, if the AI used to open my Garage door is related to the AI used to open my Wyze Lock, Iā€™ll have to do a HARD PASS on ever implementing it.

(side note: I lost confidence in the GDC and do NOT use any rules with it whatsoever, I DO use a rule with a Wyze Contact Sensor V2 to let me know when the door is open or closed)

SJ

1 Like

I donā€™t even care about the Wyze AI aspect - just give me the ability to invoke the open action so I can set up to my own automations. I can build my own fail-safes for the kind of scenario you just presented.

And to be honest - all I really need is the ability to manually open the door without having to go through multiple steps. If I could just have a shortcut on the home screen of my phone Iā€™d be happy.

When a basic garage door remote is better than this fancy solution - something is obviously wrong.

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, you can open the door with a voice command with an Echo. The only negative is that the Alexa app requires you to add a voice pin to do it - which personally Iā€™m ok with. Still canā€™t get Google Home to do it.

2 Likes