Forgotten Sensors (dead batteries)

:+1: :+1:
So many people and companies miss this fundamental truth! :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Amanda from Wyze just mailed me saying they are sending the replacement sensors that were out of warranty by 19 days.

Well, enough to say though they may have some bad apples in their customer service (Ian !!), they do have good ones who use common sense (Amanda !!).

They have gained a repeat customer.

2 Likes

And another 2 dead sensors after replaced battery . Shame Wyze. Shame
any solution ?

I have one non-operational sensor caused by a dead battery that Wyze won’t replace as it’s out of warranty even though they now know that it was defective by design when they sold it to me.
Unfortunately for me, I have many other Wyze products, including another camera just bought from Wyze a couple of weeks ago.
Arnie at Wyze has emailed me that he will be following up with me with other ways that I’ve not yet explored (I’ve told him that I’ve tried everything listed in Wyze support and in Wyze and other forums) to try to bring it back to life.
He emailed me three days ago, but has not yet responded to my email accepting his offer, so we’ll have to wait to see what he advises and the results.
Everyone may want to email Arnie as I would assume the more information he has, the better he can help us and everyone else with dead sensors to successfully resolve this.

So, okay I just have to mention something.
Why in hell didn’t Wyze design these sensors around one battery.
Instead there are two different batteries for the Wyze sensors, CR1632 and CR2450.

Almost everything in the world operates on CR2032 Lithium batteries.
I have tons of CR2032 batteries for rifle scopes and other devices.

Pick a popular battery like the CR2032 and design the sensor around it.
What’s it gonna hurt if the sensor case is a little bit bigger to accommodate the battery?

1 Like

Why email Arnie? I think Wyze already knows what the problem is. More data won’t help them. It would be too expensive to fix/replace the problematic sensors for their existing customers who bought them. Wyze has figured that it will be cheaper in the long run to most likely lose these customers for future purchases than to make things right. This is a complete and total “corporate move”. Wyze has actively and explicitly chosen to abandon and probably lose these existing customers, thinking it will be cheaper in the long run to just recruit new customers who don’t yet know the history of what Wyze has chosen to do to their existing customers.

This is a very common corporate move. It happens once a company has grown large enough to abandon their original ideals in the name of higher profits. Customer service rarely gets better over time. I am into Wyze at the “two camera plus one camera/sensor pack” level. So about $100. I made that choice with the full knowledge, and even expectation, that it wouldn’t be long before I might own zero working cameras and zero working sensors. My purchase calculation was based on getting what I considered $100 worth of use before things died or were forced obsolete. The cameras fulfilled my need - very well actually - however the sensors were a bit iffy, but mostly functional. Now, the sensors are disconnected and I don’t plan to reconnect them due to what I’ve read in this thread. They were iffy for me on their best day, but now I don’t expect them to even communicate with the system anymore, based on the reported battery issues (which I had not personally experienced prior to unplugging them). Two cameras are still working fine, the third is disconnected because I have no more need for it.

If everything fails tomorrow I won’t be happy, but I will be at least content in knowing that I got my $100 worth of you (measured by my standards), so I broke even. I highly doubt I will buy any more Wyze items in the future. Not until I’ve read more positive trends for the company on these forums. Right now, Wyze is kindof starting to circle the toilet bowl on their way down. I do not predict the company is long for this world. A shame, but not unexpected. I would certainly keep my resume updated if I worked for Wyze.

1 Like

Oddly enough, I have two rifle optics that use 1632’s (actually red-dots, not scopes).

If you think almost everything in the world operates on CR2032’s, I say you need to buy more stuff. While CR2032’s are indeed common, I’ve got a whole lot of devices that operate on “common” batteries. The CR2032’s are some of the least common of the commons in my experience. The 1632 is not common, it’s only semi-common at this point.

Potentially a lot. Especially when you’re talking about something like a door opening sensor. There are all kinds of different doors, framing, and edging out there - not everything is like the doors at your house that may easily accommodate larger sensor cases. I personally had to deal with a door where the existing sensor case was already too big to fit where I wanted it to. I made it work with some shimming, but had the case been any bigger than it is now, that would probably have been impossible. Size does indeed matter for these things. In general, the smaller the better, as long as it has reasonable battery life and the batteries can be found without too much difficulty.

1 Like

Your points are very valid.
I know Wyze has had all my contact info from the day I bought my first camera from them, so it may well be that Wyze management deliberately decided to not inform the buyers of the defective sensors in time to get them replaced while still under warranty.
I still haven’t yet heard back from Arnie at Wyze even though I accepted his offer to follow up with additional steps to try to recover the sensor so it may also be the case that Wyze has decided to just blow us all off until we go away - not in accord with what they seemed to profess as their business model.

Nonsense.
Do an image search for “Wyze Contact Sensor” and you won’t find ONE example of an installation where the unit couldn’t be made slightly larger to accommodate a bigger battery like the more common CR2032 (Wikipedia backs me up, stating the CR2032 as being the most common. My truck key fob has a CR2032. Most vehicles in the world take CR2032 in their key fobs.)

We’re not talking huge bigger here.
The contact unit could be designed to take the same battery as the Motion Detector and it still could be mounted in ANY of the installations shown in the image search.

I can understand Wyze going for the battery with the most mAh in the Motion Detector, but there’s no reason they couldn’t have gone with the same battery in both the Contact Sensor and the Motion Detector saving us from buying two different batteries.

You must have some pretty weird doors and windows.
LOL!

2 Likes

Does it really matter if the issue is losing pieces of code or firmware bricking the device? Any battery will eventually die, what’s the difference if it lasts longer, it’s still gonna die and the device will be bricked. Unless I’m missing something about these sensors.

1 Like

Could you please point to what made you think that “they quietly upgraded the internal hardware to address this”? I’m asking because I’ve been holding off buying some ~US$200 worth of sensors until I know for sure the issue is fixed. Many thanks!

Nothing, as I think more about it! My impression at the time was due to those talking about older sensors getting bricked while newer ones seemed to be ok. But in hindsight it may simply be due to the timing of battery failures. FWIW, I’ve put my plans to use wyze sensors on hold as well. Actually I’ve put my plans to deploy more wyze devices in general on hold.

1 Like

I never like it when organisations are keeping mum about issues with their products/services.
I wonder if anybody from Wyze is reading these posts. It would be great if they could confirm if the issue is solved for good or not for the sensors being sold nowadays (i.e. not just waiting for sensors to fail, then RMA-ing them). It’s been 5 months since the problem was reported, waaay more than enough time to officially address it somewhere. I spent about an hour last night trying in vain to find an official post/communication about it and I came out empty handed, Thank you

I was dealing with WYZE on multiple issues on multiple products and I was told a developer was looking into my issues.

Never heard a word back after multiple attempts trying to contact them.

My suggestion is to avoid any WYZE product completely.

2 Likes

Fair point. I for one am more than willing to consider alternatives, I’m not stuck to Wyze in any way. Would you by any chance know of any other company selling similar PIR and contact sensors? I.e. small, battery-powered, wireless, working with HA, cheap, but of course - also reliable. The moment I find that alternative I’m buying them. Otherwise until Wyze addresses this I’m NOT buying from them. From what I can tell I’m not really the only one thinking this way. It is reassuring to see that people are voting with their wallets, maybe this will make a difference.

My sensors are working ok now, but have followed the problems voiced in this forum.
(I have had issues in the past - Still looking for my old Raspberry Pi to try that out with the sensors.)

I would think a Wyze Dedicated Hub for the sensors might alleviate a lot of the problems.

Instead of plugging a bridge in the back of a camera, have a dedicated stand alone bridge unit to communicate with the sensors. It could have a design with a more powerful power supply, design to dissipate the heat, stronger WiFi signal connection and larger WiFi Antenna, etc.

Persons not using sensors wouldn’t have to buy it, include it in the sensor kit.

Chas

Good News! Wyze has stepped up to the plate and hit a homerun with me.
Today I received an email from Carl of Wyze informing me that not only is Wyze replacing my defective sensor, which is way out of warranty, but additionally, Wyze has agreed to also replace the second original sensor that I bought from them at the same time if, and when, that one does fail.
I will continue to buy more Wyze products (I had just bought another camera just three weeks ago, and bought a Wyze scale when if first came out) now that I know Wyze will stand behind their products even when they are first released with (unintended) defects.

1 Like

That gives me hope that perhaps they will replace my two dead contact sensors, one of which they said would be replaced though they never did.

I want to know if the replacement sensors would have the same problem.
The replacement sensor I received does have a different label on the back, so are the ones Wyze are sending/selling now are okay now?

Just bought a starter kit from HD. The motion sensor was dead. I contacted support via chat and I was told to replace the battery, on a brand new product. I did, and the sensor now responded with the lights but still won’t connect. I was able to get the other sensors to work. I guess I could return it to HD but after setting it all up and dealing with the million boxes it came in, I’m not sure it’s worth it. Support basically blew me off, even though I bought a battery like they asked. Very disappointing.