Forgotten Sensors (dead batteries)

So you were never able to recover the sensors after the batteries died? Did Wyze replace them?

this company has reliability issues big time. some will get solved with firmware, some will not. i bought a bunch of their stuff last year when the cameras were doing what they were supposed to do - wifi cameras with free storage for a fair price. then came the sensors which turned out to be a joke. back and forth with tech for a couple weeks. then i just left them non-working for 6 mo attached to various doors. came back when i had time / updated all firmware, paired them all again, far better. still having problems with the bridge going down. this company’s products are amateur hour. after this experience, you already know how the next product launch will go. no need to jump on board early. for me, i’ve moved to other manufacturers. too bad the cameras locked me into the ecosystem until it’ll be time to upgrade everything.

6 Likes

No. But I would not expect Wyze to. I purchased these while travelling to the US. So presumably I would need to return to the US to get warranty service…

But it did give me a chance to take some electrics apart, which is something I always enjoy.

1 Like

Have had the problem with my early release sensors. First one died a few months ago. It was replaced after going through all the gyrations suggested by customer support. The second one appears to be having the same issue. Battery and connection indicate being good. So tomorrow I will start the process again to get it replaced. :unamused:

2 Likes

Oh oh!!! Leaving the sensor open drains the battery?? Does a dead battery show in the app?? I am using a sensor in my sump hole to trigger a utility pump when the water rises to a certain level. It is open all the time, unless the water level rises, in which case, it triggerrs the pump. It’s been running flawlessly a couple months now. Having it stop running wouldn’t be good. When the battery dies, does it show as off in the app?

I’ve avoided all wyze products for anything critical. I got 1 cam watching front but since we are guard gated here, our theft risk is fairly low. I got one plug for a manual coffee pot and 1 plug for a lamp - that’s as far as I’ll risk using wyze. If I had a sump pump, I’d go back to my old float switch - it was completely sealed and never failed in over 20 yrs even after long dry spells. Meanwhile, it would seem appropriate now for someone from wyze to address what appears to be a hardware flaw with the same issue happening to many users, someone like @CaptainMark or @WyzeDongsheng to comment here because this is starting to sound like an impending recall issue. Being inexpensive is no excuse for these type of failures.

2 Likes

My house is on a slight incline. Sump hole has always self drained via pipe to the far end of the yard, until it didn’t. it appears the pipe has at least partially collapsed. Having a sump pump installed would involve quite a bit of money. Hoping to get pipe repaired. in the meantime, need to know how to check battery.

I tried to reset the door sensor using the pinhole but it did nothing.

Instead, what worked was removing the bridge from the camera and then inserting it back in.
After that all my sensors showed up again and started working.

1 Like

Aha, that makes sense. I had an 1840s house that was supposed to drain out the backside and it did until we had a monster rain event - had a sump pump as a backup ever since. Anyway, someone here should be able to advise. Good luck!

1 Like

So after waiting a few days I tried to repair the sensors based on @gku2 suggestion. I was able to recover 1 door break sensor out of 4. What I noticed is that when you push the pairing button the sensor if it blinks a slowish 3 times it will pair to the camera. The other 3 sensors will not pair and they blink 5 times quickly. Not sure what the blink codes mean but I have a 75% failure rate on these devices. I am going to try to open a case and get these replaced if possible.

2 Likes

They took away the pair button on the bridge a while back it doesn’t do anything anymore go back and look through the updates for the app and firmware and you’ll see that they took that away it doesn’t do anything anymore

1 Like

Yes this seems to be a recurring issue with the motion sensor.

1 Like

These are all door break sensors, I was able to recover the motion sensors.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I posted a similar post last week and that was also my point. WYZE needs to stop developing new devices and concentrate on fixing issues, mainly firmware.
I can’t use these cameras for security to protect my family.

I have already decided that I will not be purchasing any WYZE product. The current cams I have will be used for projects and messing around.

4 Likes

I’ve had some connectivity issues with my sensors as well. Which type of cam are you using?
My bridge was plugged into a PanCam. I moved it to a CamV2 and have had no issues since.

2 Likes

Exact same issue after battery replacement. It is a goid sony brand battery.

They sent a replacement as sensor was 4 month old, but seeing many people having issues, I feel it is a hardware design flaw.

2 Likes

I don’t believe Wyze has ever advertised their cameras as “Security Cameras”, and I wouldn’t trust anything that wasn’t hardwired with a battery backup that wasn’t advertised as a security camera for security.

1 Like

You are 100% correct

I asked what it means when the LED blinks 5 times when you push the pair button. This what I was told by support “When it blinked 5 times, it’s simply the sensor misbehaving. The sensor is programmed to blink 3 times upon reset by pin. If it’s not following that, then it’s bricked.”

This is the second time this has happened to me, fortunately Wyze has replaced the hardware before and are doing so again. I just wish it wouldn’t keep happening.

2 Likes

If you want security(or at least a little more) you need to go with a stable mature home automation system. And for real security, a hardwired alarm.
All these “smarthome” high tech gadgets are fraught with issues. I frequent many home automation blogs, and there are plenty of issues, so I understand what Wyze is trying to tackle. I agree it’s unacceptable. Wyze’s big mistake was not finishing the project that launched it all, the cameras.
Who has a pan cam that tracks motion like in the advertisement?

AND Oh PLEEEASE tell me anybody who can understand the audio recorded to SD card???
Horrible, absolute trash and never fixed in almost 3 years

6 Likes