Forcing Tags that make no sense

I think the main problem is depending on how you approach making the post, sometimes it’s required (and sometimes it’s not).

2 Likes

I’m not sure if the OP will agree with you on that one but that’s also something I want to look into. :slight_smile:

Well, the title is “Forcing Tags that make no sense”, so I guess both are true. @tlholz, chime in – what tags would you have liked to see?

1 Like

Newshound: Via web on the community web page using a Mac with Safari on establishing a new topic.

I posted two issues this morning, this one regarding “enforced non-sensical tags” and one regarding bulbs going off line after a power outage requiring a complete reset. I’d never have posted this one if I hadn’t run into the issue with the other. Seems there’s a LOT more interest in solving the “enforced tags” than there is in fixing their physical product…wish it were the other way around.

Tom

Well, if I have no answer for your other issue, then I can’t answer your question. I suggest you open an official support ticket.

Yes, allow product tags or something that has to do with topic being addressed. I was addressing a bulb issue that had nothing to do with using an iphone or android, but I was forced to choose…closest thing was “not an iphone” or something like that. Perhaps I should have tried to chat with someone or otherwise seek technical support. Was trying to avoid spending wasted time holding on on the phone (ok, that would have invovled an iphone…)
Tom

1 Like

They mentioned Alexa in the other post, so maybe systems like that should be listed. The relationship wasn’t the root problem, though.

1 Like

Okay, you definitely made me giggle. I’ll chat with the team about adding product tags as options, @tlholz. :slight_smile:

Let’s start with product tags and see if that takes care of it. I don’t want the tag list to be too long and the voice assistants definitely require another product to be Wyze-relevant.

1 Like

Sorry, just caught the earlier responses. We’re also interested in fixing problems with our products! Sorry to hear that you were running into difficulty.

As for the interest in fixing the tags issue as opposed to the product, this is the one I can take care of. I assure you that no one wants me around the programming or hardware design of the products.

Okay, I’m a bit late to this conversation, but let me provide some information and background.

First, a forced tag is only required when creating a NEW TOPIC in the ASK-THE-COMMUNITY category. Posting a reply in any category does not require a tag. Posting a new TOPIC in any other category does not require a tag.

The tag requirement has nothing to do with whether you are on the web, in the app or any other means of creating a new topic in #ask-the-community. If you are seeing otherwise, then that’s a forum bug.

Why did we do this? When people post new questions asking for help in #ask-the-community, it is often very helpful to know what type of device (iOS or Android) they are using. Posters rarely say so.

A while back, we create a mandatory profile field for new members to state which (or both) OS they use (and gave them the option to decline to say). However, we found no way to force existing users to fill this field.

To collect this info, we decided to make it a requirement for new topics in #ask-the-community to state which OS they use (via a tag), or to use the tag “not-phone-specific”. We have found this to be helpful at times, although perhaps not as much as we’d hoped.

All of this has been in the interest of being able to better help our fellow community members.

@tlholz The “not-phone-specific” choice is there just for your situation… where your post is not related to the app version or phone OS you are using.

We also explored the idea of forcing one of these four choices of tags plus allow additional tags to be used. Unfortunately, the forum platform does not accommodate that.

When we first moved to this platform, we allowed users to create tags and we end up with a big mish-mash of tags that don’t end up being very helpful at all.

We are in the process of considering other ways to structure the forum. One of these is sub-categories by product. That has it’s drawbacks (for example, a question that involves multiple products eg. camera + motion sensor). Another option is to eliminate user-defined tags and limit the number of tags to a much smaller Wyze-defined set that may be more useful.

Stay tuned as we work on that endeavor.

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining that. Makes sense now.

1 Like

Just posted to “ask the community” and the screen had a block that says optional tag. If it is optional what must you enter one of the 3 selections (in my case) before you can post?

If you read the above thread there were/are reasons. And the issue is only required in a few groups. I do agree with the recent changes in the product lines like adding the lock, the choices don’t always seem to apply.