For outdoor surveillence in N.E. should I use Cam3 or the Outdoor Cam?

after looking at Cam3 and the Outdoor Cam features…I still don’t know which cams to buy for outdoors in Northeast

1 Like

If you have the ability to provide power to the location there is little if any reason to choose the Wyze Cam Outdoor.

4 Likes

Agreed. They are both IP65 weatherproof cameras capable of similar operating temperatures (-4°F - 120°F for the WOC and -5°F - 113°F for the V3). But the V3 is most like a V2, and is for powered situations where you want live streaming. The WOC is for battery-powered situations where you only want to see an occasional alert. So the V3 is the most flexible if you can power it. The V3 is also cheaper, easier to install and maintain, wider field of view, and has much better low-light performance.

3 Likes

Can plug into outlet…if I can shut window on plug wire (cable) without damaging it ,or interfering with operation

1 Like

I could plug into an indoor wall outlet, if…I can shut window on plug wire (cable) without damaging it, or interfering with operation of cam

1 Like

My opinion, go with the V3. If you can’t get power to the V3 cam or it would be too bulky to use with an external battery then get the Outdoor Cam. Most people happy with with Outdoor Cam are using it for watching animals or need a totally portable package.

1 Like

I could plug into indoor outlets…if I can close window on plug wire (cable) without damaging it ,or interfering with performance of cam

1 Like

to answer your question, it would depend on the type of window. A wooden sash, then probably yes. There are flat USB cabes available on Amazon as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A window open a crack all year in the NE may be a challenge to your comfort in that room.

You should also consider how difficult it might be to install an outdoor power system (you can make it waterproof from the outlet onward with some effort), or even consider a hole thru the wall that is puttied on both sides.

Lastly (or firstly, IMO), if you give up the local IR lights (which you may be able to do with the V3’s increased low-light color sensitivity), then you can probably mount the camera INDOORS, behind the glass, looking out. That’s how I would probably start out before trying any of the more difficult outdoor solutions.

2 Likes

Thanks for feedback, from your response, I imagine I can’t close window tight on the wire…which is what I hoped I could do. I currently do have a v2 behind glass, and screen interferes w/view, as well as at night (w/IR off) not a great resolution…but I think the v3 would provide a better all around view, day and night…in this same situation…thank you

1 Like

It’s just a flat USB power cable. It might work, depending in part on your window.

1 Like

Thank you…should be fine being flat, as long as it doesn’t impede operation

1 Like