Focus on distant horizon

I placed an outdoor cam on my roof and use it to take photos and videos of the mountains in the distance. Is there any way to get it to focus on the horizon? I find that it’s not anywhere near in focus.

That image looks pretty blurry. This can be caused by fog or condensation on the outside of the camera. Can you try wiping down the lens?

1 Like

That doesn’t look like condensation to me. I am not sure what distance the cam tries to focus at, but even the items that look like they are closer seem to be out of focus. I will tag @WyzeDongsheng and see if he has any ideas on this.

3 Likes

It definitely looks blurry…

1 Like

this looks like out of focus. Does it always look like this ? did it ever got dropped ?

3 Likes

I agree with @WyzeJasonJ , I would think everything here in frame should be in focus, especially the trees around the perimeter of the frame.

@rich, if you aim it at something normal, like into your yard or something maybe 5 to 25 feet away, is everything still out of focus? Any damage to the camera?

1 Like

Yes, it was dropped once, but I believe it worked well after that.

After looking at the camera, it looks like it must have been damaged when it was dropped. Three corners of the bottom casing are sticking out slightly. As I play around with the video, it looks like things that are up close are in focus, but anything more than a few feet from the camera is out of focus.

1 Like

Hopefully you can fix it! I don’t believe that’s covered under the warranty unfortunately.

Bummer! Sounds like this is the culprit causing the out of focus video, as I would think the lens is now misaligned.

1 Like

I wonder if it would be possible to open the camera up and try to fix it.
Doing so will break the weather seal and may cause the camera to not function properly. (Try at your own risk)

Given the convo in the thread here, hopefully the OP has the some answers to their issue. It’s up to the OP but a direction now would be to reference the warranty for information now knowing what possibly happened, and/or going through Support for assistance.

1 Like

Thanks. Sounds likely that it was damaged when it was dropped. I understand that the warranty Would be voided, but feel free to share suggestions for playing around with the inside to try to fix it.

If you can open the camera and it is like the V2 then you can refocus the lens.
There is some cement holding in the lens in place. Carefully pull off the cement and rotate the threaded lens. Link to Camera Lens Swap video.

1 Like