Finally saying goodbye to Wyze

I don’t know, @basicbeat .

Is there a good reason they would choose not to have/offer their own hub?

I can’t answer my own question, just asking. :thinking:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for tagging me in here. I snagged this link and I have been sharing it with the team. We’re sorry for the frustrations that many folks in this thread are experiencing and I’ll make sure that the appopriate teams receive all of this feedback.

@Daniel_SA, I remember chatting with you on multiple occasions. You will be missed.

5 Likes

Where’s the conundrum? I think you’re trying to state the products and services are not “overwhelmingly working as advertised” for the user base, but I see no evidence of this? Do you have evidence of this? Or are you saying the user base DOES have Wyze products and services that are overwhelmingly working as advertised?

1 Like

I simply can’t reconcile the two conditions:

Faulty performing products + planning rapid expansion and seeking investment capital.

I have no idea what the actual percentage is of users who are experiencing performance as advertised, but it must be much higher than expected here… mustn’t it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, now that was funny! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

The fact that there are some people who are complaining about performance issues on a dedicated forum, while a similar amount of people are posting that they are not experiencing issues, on a product that has retail exposure by 2 very big retailers (Amazon and Home Depot) leads me to believe that the general user base IS satisfied with the products.

Interestingly enough, both the Cam v2 and the Pan Cam review ratings are 4.5/5 stars on Amazon, with approximately the same review rating on Home Depot’s website.

2 Likes

Yup.

Warning: Entering Weeds

Total customer base - % of complaining customers = % of un-complaining customers.

For what % of the uncomplaining customers are the products and services working as advertised?

and

What percentage of the uncomplaining customers are sufficiently engaged/informed to even be aware of the flaws in performance (@gemniii and/or @OverWatch asked that question sometime last year.)

and so

What constitutes a “satisfied customer?”

Wyze knows the answers and chooses to hold them close to their chest. That’s their bidnis, of course. :slight_smile:

Opinion relatively unchanged. Good affordable product with some annoying quirks and limitations that must be worked around.

Having worked in IT since before 2000 dot-com bubble, I am not quite as swayed by slick well produced aspirational videos as I once might have been. :roll_eyes:

I think they used the words “Ford” and “Amazon” a bit more often than necessary - reflected glory ~sometimes~ suggests lack of actual accomplishments.

It gave me a much better idea of the company’s vision for its future and the logic of the non camera lines - marketing an entire line of smart home products. I do worry about a lack of focus though. (quality and long term support for individual older products)

I would prefer the existing cam products be made rock solid first, but as others have noted, it’s easier to generate revenue by putting out lots of shiny new products instead of spending endless valuable engineer hours squashing bugs in dated products that people have already paid for - Pareto principle and all that…

People who make perfect durable products that always work are often punished by the market once the product hits saturation with likely customers, thus the switch in the whole industry to the software rental model. So, while I DO NOT like it, I expect movement in the direction of fees similar to CMC. Developers have to eat every day even if we only buy the cameras once. ( re the Wink thread here )

Nothing especially reassured me about the future security of their systems ( re the very educational Omegle and This is not Secure threads here ) but they are marketing to the hobbyists and the cost conscious market segment, not the NSA.

A bit worried that they may still be at the mercy of cheap hardware providers - writing their own firmware for existing hardware is a brilliant way to leapfrog into the market, but long term there may be issues - geopolitical and otherwise.

I do hope they will achieve their aspirations. It would be wicked cool to have excellent smart home security for rock bottom pricing before they get absorbed by a larger company and their top talent gets cherry picked away.

So I remain in the “hope but verify” camp. Reading the posts from all the very smart people in this and other forums has taught me way more than any marketing campaign. I definitely plan to continue doing that! :smiley:

6 Likes

Is that an oblique ref to the This is not Secure thread? You dog, :wink:

Wonderful comment. :+1:

1 Like

The Wyze business model parallels the grenade principle… all you need is to get it “close enough”. People will buy it only because it’s cheap and it’s “close enough”.
I don’t know why, but I’m reminded of the Pet Rock - the guy bought polished rocks off a beach for a penny each, wrote an instruction manual, built a box, and sold a million of them at $4 bucks each. Sound familiar??

3 Likes

The op clearly states that the pd (among other issues) is not working for him. Where did he say that he expected it to perform above and beyond what Wyze promoted the cameras as?? :man_shrugging:

If a $20 camera is promoted with features of p.d., google home assistant compliant, etc and it doesn’t live up to those claims people should just chalk it up to the cameras only costing $20??

1 Like

I’m not sure how to describe my Wyze experience. :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m not disappointed. I got what I expected for $20 (US). The cameras work ok but are overall unreliable.
I like to know when I’ve received deliveries but seldom get motion or person detection events. Even if I do get an event it often won’t play. The video shows that it’s 12 seconds then won’,t plan and becomes a 0 second video.
One camera is on a slow Internet connection, 7 mbps, I can seldom connect to it. When I’m at that location I can connect to my home cameras. The 7 mbps connection is fast enough to stream Netflix but not a Wyze cam set to SD. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welp… I may be a little late with this but hey, better late than never. So for your clunkyness and reliability issues and poor SD playback… Theres actually a simple fix (well it was pretty simple for me anyway haha). In your routers wifi settings(I have an ASUS so I’m not to sure about your system) under professional, scroll down to “airtime fairness” and turn that off. My cams have been a dream ever since… Hope you see this cause it’s actually fixed all my issues… Don’t forget to do it on the 2.5GHZ band and not the 5ghz cause it may not change anything otherwise.

2 Likes

And such are the vagaries of patent law. However, I don’t see person detection listed as an issue in the op.

Of course, that goes against the grain of its intended purpose (because it allows faster / more efficient devices a chance to get work done, rather than waiting on the slower/ inefficient devices) … but if if works for ya…

2 Likes

The opposite actually, he says it works perfectly.

I don’t get where people say what do you expect for a $20 camera? I expect what they tell me I’m going to get. Just like with a $25 band. I expect what they say the features are going to be and how it’s going to function. I don’t care if it’s $25 or $25,000. Expected to function and perform to the ability that they tell me it will. If it doesn’t then it’s a failure or at least has flaws that need to be fixed. And that’s where I have a problem. There are a lot of problems, flaws, issues out there with Wyze products that are not getting fixed they’re getting pushed to the side so new products can be pushed out and those new products are being pushed out with flaws and issues etc. it’s just a never ending cycle.

6 Likes

I know what you mean.
If you need reliable cameras I understand you jumping ship.
I was ok with the performance problems at first, thinking they are a new company, they’ll get it soon. That hasn’t happened. I feel like it’s been a three year beta experiment. :slightly_smiling_face:
Wyze is starting to show signs of taking the app problems seriously but I always get the feeling they are working in silos that are in different geographic areas. Internal communication seems to be a problem.

3 Likes

I think the reason many jump to 'what do you expect for a $20 dollar camera" is because every product that comes out whether it be $20 or $25,000 will have flaws. So then it becomes at what price are you willing to put up with the flaws. If its a $20 dollar product some are more willing to put up with some issues. If I paid $2000 for the cam it better be almost perfect, $20 a different story.

3 Likes

spot on. some people just shrug their shoulders and don’t care about so little as $20. other people think money is money and want to get what they thought they paid for. different strokes for different folks. what I don’t get is why people who didn’t care about wasting $20 in the first place now seem to so acutely care about others on this forum wondering where their $20 went? doesn’t seem consistent with the attitude.

1 Like