Fast Forward/Rewind (and other scrubbing alternatives) In SD Card Playback

Having a red bar on the video timestamp feedbar would be a VERY useful touch. If you have a Lorex door cam, you will know what I mean. That way, I can still use continual recording, but also see on the timeline when the device was triggered.

I think the 1x - 4x playback speed is adequate, especially for the avg length of video capture being limited in most cases due motion ceasing or limits on capture time set.
What I would like is a slow motion option in playback speed, perhaps .5x or .3x etc. as there is a need to review certain events for fine detail capture, also having a rewind or ff feature for say 10 seconds would be a benefit as well… thank you for considering these options.

3 Likes

I would love to see this option.

It’s been 44 days since my last post. Just checking to see if there has been any movement on getting some much needed scrubbing in Playback.

1 Like

I admit it would be nice to have scrubbing but I want to be sure that Wyze understands that the topic of this thread is still greatly desired. The topic of this wishlist is being able to fast forward during playback or in other words, play the recorded video that’s on the SD card at an accelerated speed. Such as 2X, 4X, 8X, 16X.

If there is another topic in the wishlist section of the forum that is specifically for scrubbing, I’d be happy to vote for that as well. But I don’t want Wyze to think that the general consensus of the posters in this thread is that scrubbing by itself is sufficient and we’re no longer particularly interested in accelerated playback or fast forward.

The 1st post I see in this thread from November 2018 says:
“We are discussing adding 1Ox speed in the future but it may be a different speed. Watching in real time can be a major pain point especially if you’re looking for something specific in continuous footage. This will make it easier to find footage that we care about (especially if We don’t have markers for events yet).
Best
WyzeGwendolyn”

Wyze, please follow up on that original post. Please add the same fast forward option that is found in events for Cam Plus subscribers, to the SD card playback.

6 Likes

Sure I agree with you Ree. Improving the way we review footage is greatly needed, there are many ways to solve it, the goal is to more quickly and easily get to those important moments in the footage.

Scrubbing the way we’ve been describing has become the favored solution because it is almost like variable speed giving you more control over playback, but a simple fast forward button works too. I am personally not attached to any one solution,

I just know that in its current state it is very difficult to find anything in the timeline. Any update would be greatly welcomed.

2 Likes

Not to mention that we’ve been requesting this feature for years. Look back.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse the brevity, spelling and punctuation.

3 Likes

Heh, been scrolling this thread that started four years ago (rather than make a new post). I gave up aftert hitting 2020.
Is there any possibility for this option, of a 2x 4x 8x ( and possibly .5x) playback speeds? I just finished watching a 15 hour recording trying to find footage of possibly criminal activity. Naturally, it was just outside my detection zone, so no event was triggered.
Killed my day for productivity.
PLEASE, add this to either the app or the web viewer… or both.

2 Likes

According to their latest statements about this, they are indeed working on a new design for a better live view and event playback experience (including thumbnails with the cursor, and other things).

Their updates have not yet been released. All we know is that there are updates to the playback and scrubbing process that they have been working on.

3 Likes

I actually have to say that I’ve seen some positive changes at Wyze but at the same time as they introduced positive changes I don’t see the performance of the application and the videos taken has been great and notifications are sometimes late the video often times doesn’t load and I still can’t play anything back off of my cards without taking them out of the camera and it to me is kind of ridiculous defeats the whole purpose of the Internet

The bar at the bottom needs to be smaller, when in landscape mode and the forward/rewind should be where the arrows are.

Also the rewind/ffwd buttons are too small i constantly miss them and they block the picture.

Please add a way to speed up playback. Watching hours and hours to find something not captured as an event is painful.

2 Likes

10X speed would be too fast. 1.5X, 2X up to 5X is usable. You could even program a virtual jog shuttle to male it easier for people. The key to it is buffering the video properly. Or possibly programming a frame skip so it doesn’t lag too much. The playback will be choppier but it won’t lag as bad as trying to do 60-150fps in ffwd.

While not necessarily about Fast Forward/Rewind, some of the most recent statements related to Playback viewing changes were made today in an AMA with Wyze’s VP of Product:

This sounds pretty exciting and will make it easier to scrub through videos and find things. Maybe there will be some speed changes added too.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Frame by frame playback

3 posts were split to a new topic: What happened to the fast forward option in the events?

I agree. Yesterday one of my chickens got out of the run 3 times, and again this morning. I have one cam aimed at the left side of the chicken run and another aimed at the right side. I went through hours and hours of event recordings, one by one at 4x the speed, back and forth, back and forth until I finally just gave up.
This was one time when I sure could’ve used that feature in the playback where I could just go through it all without having to go back and clicking on one short clip after another. :pensive:

1 Like

I believe that “Scrubbing” is a good method, it might require some coding but they (Wyze) are supposedly re-writing the entire app so that would be a great time to incorporate some changes

1 Like

What is scrubbing? Thanks.

I don’t know which photos program you use but I use an iPhone and when I bring up my photos and I want to edit there’s a button up on the top it says edit and when it appears there is a line at the bottom of the phone that’s got little pictures of the entire recording and you can scrub back-and-forth on it Really really quickly and it shows exactly where you’re at in your clip it’s a handy thing I don’t know any other programs that have that but it would be nice to take and invoke something like that

scrubbing is used in motion picture editing and all kinds of photographers that take videos use a similar process.

2 Likes