This has been done before but it’s an old thread and was kind of left open. At any rate, I added an external antenna to an older cam already out of warranty just to see what effect it would have. Interesting results. I tested it around the house for a few days and it did work- no noticeable improvements but certainly no problems added.
Here’s my test setup: the modified cam and a stock cam sitting side by side running off of a dual usb output power brick. Works great, if you ever need a dual view of the same thing!
The test was simple - all measurements are done by the old 3 ft/step method, which is pretty close for me.
First run was inside with IPhone on Wifi, Second outside (1 wall), Third was outside with IPhone on LTE. Measurements are in feet and signal strength % from the app, obtained by forcing each cam to reconnect between measurements. After one cam lost connection I just kept walking until the second cam lost connection.(ignoring my neighbors looks at this obviously crazy person)
Distance - Mod.Cam - StockCam
15. 84. 81
15. 75. 76
Outside, on LTE
50. 56. 64
75. 64. 44
100. 54 51
120. Kept pic. Lost pic
From here I started just walking away. At about 120’ the stock cam lost connection and would not reconnect. Modified cam kept connection and smooth un-pixelated picture out to 330 feet where the pic froze and would not reconnect.
Turned around and walked back, randomly stopping to see if they would reconnect.
At 210’ the modified cam reconnected and kept a smooth picture as I walked
At 120’ the stock cam finally reconnected.
Back inside I put both of them about 8’ away from the primary node on my wifi. Stock cam measured 73%, modified measured 76%.
For what it’s worth!
If anyone is interested I will post photos of the antenna install process, but that’s been done on another thread.