Entry Sensor Battery Low

The reason I objected so strenuously was that my personal email was used to spam me but I also got notifications sent to my Echo devices and both were done several times that day. I don’t mind passive ads specifically targeted to my interests but this was tantamount to screaming in my face.

Somebody at Wyze went to a lot of effort to set up the program to mine our battery data along with our email addresses to forward to Amazon who in turn ran those addresses through their data base to match up to Amazon accounts so that the notifications could be issued. I wish Wyze’s effort had been spent debugging all their firmware and further proofing what they’re working on now and removing those bugs BEFORE it’s released instead of making what amounts to nickles and dime against their AWS bill

We all know we agree to TOSs without reading them knowing that we’re not allowed to opt out of any individual item we find particularly offensive. Its all or nothing, but we’re hopeful our trust won’t be abused. I think that the ferocity of this pitch borders on abuse, especially since I only have one functioning V1 sensor and none of my V2s reported a low battery. The whole effort was overly aggressive and completely stupid.

Actually, I believe that this is being done by Amazon Alexa. My email notification went to my Wife, who has the Amazon Account. My Wyze account uses a different email which did not receive any email notifications except to indicate the battery notification may have been in error from Alexa. They did indicate to check the battery to be sure. For me, it was easy, the battery listed was not for the v2 sensor.

So there was nothing on the Wyze side and on my Wyze account which was not mined or spammed. Amazon is the one who sent the email when it thought it detected that a battery was running low. I received items like this for other smart products I used to have.

2 Likes

How do you imagine that Amazon detected that a battery was running low. The battery level indicator is part of the electronics within the sensors and is not accessible to anyone (the owner included) without Wyze’s facilitation. This was undoubtedly a joint effort and probably initiated by Wyze.

Just like all smart devices, there are some items which are open and exposed for use. Just like you I signed up and granted Alexa access to my equipment. At that time, they have the access to stream the camera’s and check sensors. They also provide a power consumption in the Alexa App. As I have indicated, this also occurred with other Smart Technology items like Samsung Motion Sensors, or NYCE Contact Sensors. All I was stating is that the email came from Amazon and went to the Amazon Email you associated to your Amazon account. It did not come from Wyze. Is there features that allow this, of course, but we are all even asking for more Alexa Integration.

So I for one, was not as bothered about this notification. We all need to do our best to ensure everything is secure and to verify when questionable things arise. IMHO.

3 Likes

Hi… There are no settings that could influence battery life. Except if that entryways ends up opening and close constantly (like multiple times more regularly than a commonplace entryway), the batteries were terrible or it’s by one way or another introduced inappropriately so it’s sending continually then it’s presumably flawed. Are there any signs that it’s sending continually? Was it continually showing alter or showing open/close in the occasion history when it isn’t actually opening and shutting?