Employee Hair Color

Does the color gray/grey count? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have been a senior level leader in IT for over 20 years, where the majority of that time has been in healthcare within an organization that was faith based in the Midwest.

I have hired people with hair colors that span a color pallet. Hair Color, Tattoos, Piercings, etc are expressions of ones self, what I look for is passion. Just be passionate about what you do.

8 Likes

@R.Good Wish there were more hiring managers like you…

2 Likes

Oh there is a written policy where i work (which includes tattoos and piercings)… and the last two females who dyed their hair a kind of white with pink hue were let go… I cant 100% say it was for their hair color, but seems a very large coincidence if it wasnt…

It’s kind of dismissive to think that an employer “thinks you are stupid” for your choice of what you have voluntarily done to your appearance.

Many employers need to convey a certain image to maximize the appeal of the organization to investors and customers. For this reason they may frown upon body modifications.

Nobody is stupid. But sometimes the values of a perspective company and a perspective employee do not align and in those cases it makes sense not to unite the two.

No applicant is entitled, to any job. The purpose of an interview is not to hand out the job. More people are passed up than hired. And it should be that way. The interview process is just as importantly about skipping certain people as it is picking the one.

Interesting… Trial paywalled links.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/pages/court-report-policy-banning-extreme-hair-colors-upheld.aspx

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/pages/house-approves-bill-to-ban-hairstyle-discrimination.aspx

At least you have hair…you could be one of us bald people

1 Like

so, banned and no banned…

fricken sad world - at least the US - we live in, where the color of your hair determines what you are thought of, as well as your abilities

perspective is everything these days, and the company “look”… im in education, private… and in my previous life as a regional manager, i know what those above me thought (and said) that they absolutely thought i your hair wasnt the natural color, there was something wrong with you, and in most cases they sided with lower iq, hence stupid…

HOW INSENSITIVE!!

People born with a lower IQ are human beings and they deserve respect and love

50% of the population in fact, have a below average IQ, and for you to label them with the s word because of an inaliable trait they were born with is unbelievable. I am literally shaking.

Using that word to hurt people like this is a violent hate crime that marginalizes vulnerable minorities and you should be ashamed of yourself!

The OP is pointing out that they were “labeled”, not the other way around. Labeling based on personal choice and idiosyncrasies is the whole point of this contentious topic.

1 Like

There’s a pretty big difference though between a choice and something you’re born with. IQ is something you’re born with and it only goes down if you get brain injury or dementia.

Nobody is at fault for their own IQ, except perhaps people who cooked it off using drugs or knowingly engaged in some reckless behavior that injured them.

Personal choices on the other hand are entirely culpable. Some guy who’s name I don’t want to give the honor of repeating, in Buffalo NY, chose to murder 10 people last weekend.

He doesn’t get a pass because he made a personal choice. He’s responsible for the choices he makes just like people who choose to alter their bodies.

Obviously one of those is a billion times worse than the other but they’re both choices that come with consequences for your choices and your actions.

If you choose to adorn your precious face with a nose ring, tattoos, and forehead implants and then go interview at a preschool, nobody is wronging you when they hire somebody else. Frankly I’d be surprised if they didn’t call the police when you exit your vehicle.

You wouldn’t believe how much was made of hair length and neatness in the 60s. People were out of their minds about it, both those rebelling and those condemning.

If you were a long hair you were a ‘dirty hippie’ by default even if you would sooner die than turn the other cheek or live communally.

‘Hippie’ devolved from ‘peace, love and understanding’ to ‘sex, drugs and rock & roll’ and then… wait for it. Glam. And Disco.

Punk & 80s hair metal saved the day! Some say.

BTW, you really did have to assert on many job applications (not just government) that you were not and had never been anywhere near ‘red.’

Better dead. Which Vietnam would take care of if you were unlucky.

2 Likes

thanks @Seapup you called it…this @BillyCroan obviously just skimmed what i wrote, and didnt read it. @BillyCroan you should be ashamed for jumping the gun, and being pretty damn rude to me. Let me me CRYSTAL CLEAR, id NEVER, EVER demean, harass, bully - in any form, anyone, regardless of their sex, creed, color, iq, or any other thing. I brought this up, as @Seapup points out, about how people were “labeled:” and not by me!

UGH.
Thanks again @Seapup

Hey, folks. This topic is getting a bit out of hand. We try to let Watercooler be a freeflow area but please don’t shame others, name-call, etc. We still want everyone to be kind to each other. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you Gwen, I agree. All should feel welcome here.

1 Like

I have this strange urge to connect more things. I think Wyze is image AI-ing me. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like