Electrical panel electricity monitor

This would be a good home monitoring solution. Could also detect trip breakers and provide alerts.
John

No way in hell.

You can get Home Power Monitoring. That’s already a thing, Where you connect a couple Amp clamps to the power coming into your house so you can monitor whole home power usage.

For example, you can get the Emporia Smart Home Energy Monitor for as low as $70. But if you want to also monitor up to 16 different circuits, each having their own clamps, it’s $150. Take a look here.

https://www.amazon.com/Emporia-Energy-Monitor-Electricity-Conserve/dp/B07R11H2Q2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=NEJKU4MOUOZM&dchild=1&keywords=whole%2Bhome%2Bpower%2Bmonitor&qid=1617748566&sprefix=Whole%2BHome%2Bpower%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-3&th=1

But you can go to Amazon and just enter “whole home power monitor” and there’s a number of them out there. I’m sure you can find something you like. It seems Emporia has different versions for those with 3 phase power also. That’s interesting!!! Looking again, it’s limited to 3-phase 240 volts MAX and not 480. Oh well, but for light commerial that could be an option.

This is an interesting idea @coffeegulper.
Remember to vote for your own #wishlist item!

1 Like

I’m aware several companies do this. Wyze should not.

Why not? It seems to fit in the mission and scope of Wyze.

1 Like

I’ll buy one.

I don’t think this is an area Wyze should get into. For one thing, asking your customers to get into high voltage, opening up your circuit breaker panel, is such a good idea. It’s no big deal for me, I’m working with 480 volt 3-phase power all the time and am in circuit breaker panels adding new circuits all the time at work.

For your normal home user? Sprinkler and Home Temp controller are low voltage devices. You’re not going to kill yourself over 24 volts. Would Wyze want that kind of liability, and for what? Really, what I listed above is not at much money. It’s actually pretty reasonable.

It’s also not really a Home Control type of thing or Security. But the #1 reason is still High Voltage. You open up your panel to get to the wires to put these Amp clamps onto. You touch the wrong thing and ZAP, you may have just killed yourself. All it takes is one tiny mistake and then at least 120Volts, and 100 to 200 Amps right into you. It’s not the voltage that will kill you, but the AMPS. It doesn’t take a lot of amps. 100 and 200 milliamperes ( 0.1 to 0.2 amp) is lethal. I have a 100 Amp panel currently at my older house and plan to get it replaced with a 200 amp panel for a few reasons. I’m not going to touch this job myself.

1 Like

I see your point, in that it’d be dangerous for customers without any electrical knowledge. At the same time, though, I think you might be over exaggerating the likelihood of someone getting killed. All it is is clipping a transformer sensor over insulated wires - people really shouldn’t be able to get into trouble with it. I used to install those sensors all the time while in college (I worked as an energy auditor) and I don’t even remember signing any liability forms.

That other companies sell similar products to consumers seems to indicate that the revenue stream is worth whatever the increased litigation risk is.

While I could get another company’s gear, I’d rather stick to the Wyze ecosystem, and I think having a whole-home energy monitor (or monitoring individual breakers) could add some interesting features to the Wyze rules / device trigger system.

I guess I should have updated the wish item to mention this would have to be installed by a professional.

Also not Wyze’s target customer (thrifty is the nice way of saying it).