Echo Stream Issue - Resolved June 1st

On Thursday, May 30th at 8:17PM PT, a customer reported that their Echo device displayed the feed of a camera not associated with their Wyze account. We immediately began an investigation and worked through the night on Thursday to determine the cause. By Friday morning, we identified an isolated issue that impacted some Alexa-enabled cameras that were transferred from the original owner to a new owner with a different Wyze account. The Wyze app was unaffected. The original owner was still able to access the stream of their previously owned camera through their Echo device. We resolved this issue and verified that it is no longer impacting customers as of Saturday, June 1st at 1:00PM PST. We were able to reproduce this issue, verify the fix, and verify that it is effective.

To immediately prevent this from happening again, we added an extra level of protection from our side so that even if the device info is not fully cleared after device deletion, Wyze will not permit viewing of the camera through a connected smart display. This will cause the request to fail.

While this problem is now resolved, we will also implement a feature that will lead to better synchronization of the device list between Wyze and Alexa within the next 1-2 months.

Security and privacy are extremely important to us at Wyze. We apologize to our users for this and our team will work to prevent similar events from occurring in the future.

28 Likes

Thanks for the explanation … and for being up front about the problem WyzeGwendolyn (but then again, we’ve come to expect such openness from WYZE).

Glad you all jumped on the problem and solved it!

Glad it also only involved select few users in an unusual set of circumstances.

5 Likes

You’re welcome! We’re glad that the customer let us know about this problem so we could fix it.

1 Like

Thanks to the Wyze Team for the thorough report and the diligence in investigating and resolving the problem.

5 Likes

You’re welcome, jjr.

Pretty cool you all got it fixed up in short order , Nice job

4 Likes

Thank you, HDRock. The community member that made the report was a big help in getting this resolved quickly.

4 Likes

If you see something, saying something!

5 Likes

well done!!!

2 Likes

Much appreciated, Bam. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely !!!

Far too often customers are not informed of the causes of problems, not allowing them to take future action to avoid same. Excellent support like this is much appreciated!

2 Likes

We understand that, especially with something like this, it is important for peace of mind to know what happened. Thanks for your support, carls!

I like that I got a email notification of the issue and that it was resolved. Job well done WYZE on your diligence on resolving the issue and keeping your customers in the loop! Still by far the best!

3 Likes

Thank you, ashleyterino. We appreciate your feedback and support!

2 Likes

Thank you for the info and transparency on this issue.
with the importance many of us place on privacy, this was an unfortunate issue, however im glad to see that the team jumped on it and resolved it ASAP and was open with the community about it.

1 Like

You’re welcome, Draco. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know.

1 Like

i continue to be impressed with the culture of Wyze and it makes me want to support the company even more. Please convey my appreciate to the team, and keep up the good work… (and we will continue buying stuff :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I will be sure to do so! Thank you kindly, Draco. :slight_smile:

HAHA you WYZE people are awesome.

1 Like

Thank you, xcessive!

1 Like