Doorbell - screws are too short

The screws on the doorbell are extremely short. They should be at least 1/8" or 1/4" longer. I see where another user lost the screw, probably because it fell out, being so short.

1 Like

Take one to a hardware store and buy longer screws with the same diameter/threads if the provided ones don’t suit your needs.

2 Likes

I already have plenty of other screws. My point was to highlight a design flaw, so it could remedied in a future release. The end user should not be expected to do anything additional to get the product installed. Spend the extra $0.0001 to get longer screws.

You received two sets of screws, right? Longer ones for attaching to the door trim/siding, and the second smaller ones for plate to wedge attachment. I liked that they gave us 3 each set, an extra one which I actually needed. Thanks Wyze!

I was referring to the two machine screws used for attaching the 24VAC power wiring to the doorbell, not the ones for mounting it. If you back them out about a half turn beyond what is needed to slip the wire underneath, they will fall out.

Ohhh, got it. I had a similar issue. During my first installation, I couldn’t use the included white extender wires and wire caps due to lack of space, so I tried to wire directly to the terminals on back of doorbell. Those short screws fell out pretty easily. I’m not sure they intended that approach (not in instruction video), and yes, they are very short, but I got them to hold. But my camera angle was missing people standing close to door, so I installed the wedge to help and could then use the white wire extenders and caps tucked into wedge. Much better view and easier to install on back of doorbell unit.

Depending on how things are situated inside a longer screw could cause damage, I have not opened one up to look

1 Like

Isn’t that why RING had to issue a warning a while ago because folks were using the wrong size screws and the door bells were catching on fire? :open_mouth:

1 Like

I had exactly this problem a moment ago; backed the screw out a fraction too far, and now it is lost. Does anyone know the size of these screws so thatI can order more? (again, this is the screw that holds the power lines on the Doorbell Pro).

Don’t know what size, and ordering them might be very difficult. But, if I were in that predicament I would take the doorbell to one of the box hardware stores and go to the hardware aisle where they have all those specialty istsy bitsy little fasteners in those pull out drawers and find one that will thread in. If you find one that is too long, it can be cut to a shorter length using a wire crimper tool that they sell there specifically designed to cut these Lug Screws to length. Just make sure you screw it in from the threaded side of the cutter so it deburrs the threads when pulling it out.

Screenshot_20220529-171822-511

Alternatively, these Lug Screws are pretty common in other applications that have wire lug attachments like Garage Door Openers, low voltage controllers, doorbell transformers, old thermostat boards, computer hardware, electronics, etc. You might be able to repurpose one of those to suit the need or find an electronics repair shop with a drawer full of old ones. I have a drawer full in the garage from when I scrap these things. Never know when you will need one.

If you can’t find one hit me back on the DM. I have a VDB v1. I would guess they are the same size. I can look to see if I can find one that fits.