Does Wyze products support WPA3 for wifi connection?

I recently discovered my router firmware upgrade provided WPA3 feature.

From what I understand WPA3 is backwards compatible.

Will WPA3 work on Wyze products? I have all 3 types of Wyze cams, except for the Outdoor cam.

elZ

At this point no. You just need to be in WPA2/WPA3 Transition Mode with PMF set to optional. So you can have both.

1 Like

In other words: Make sure your network is not using modern technology that is now widely adopted based on standards set in 2018. Instead, your wireless network must use a legacy security standard that was set in 2004. If you setup a wifi network using only modern standards, nothing from WYZE functions. Shame, Shame, Shame to WYZE and most of the industry!

4 Likes

I just tried WPA3. Cameras would not connect Live or open videos.

Nope, Wyze can’t do WPA3

I tried WAP3 and it shut my whole network down. Now it will not allow me to turn it off. If i swipe it to off it goes right back on. I unplugged power to router and root router but still no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

1 Like

This is the reason I avoid WPA3, it has too many backward compatibility issues and causes chaos on lots of networks and too many other things don’t support it yet, so I end up needing to use a mix. It’s too annoying and not stable/functional.

Having said that, more devices really need to start supporting it so we can move on to better security like it offers. Wyze certainly needs to work on this better.

As for what to do, I would probably set the router up again and this time, in your situation I would not switch to WPA3 again since it is not working well with the rest of your network right now.

Thank you

1 Like

even if Wyze supported WPA3 all your devices would have to be able to support WPA3 otherwise you still have a WPA2 network broadcasting. So even if Wyze connected to WPA3 your TV, echo, thermostat would likely still be on WPA2. To sum it all up if you want the full security of WPA3 all devices need it not just a handful.

1 Like

This is another reason why I don’t use it, so know that I feel similarly.

Having said that, some people have networks that allow them to broadcast a SEPARATE network for just WPA3 devices and another separate one for just WPA2 devices. So there are people who absolutely can/do use it and want it, particularly for things they consider the most high risk to their privacy, such as a camera that can see anything and hear anything. And while it’s best to keep them away from privacy areas, people still don’t want someone hearing things they say walking up to their own front door, or their garage, or in their backyard or seeing them type in some password on their cell phone, or any number of other concerns. I think it’s a valid concern for people with the ability to have a fully 100% WPA3 network to be able to want and have the option to do that, so I support adding it, especially since Wyze already SAID that they added support for it…so…it doesn’t affect me, but I lean toward the stance of: they should implement it since they already said they did. :man_shrugging:

Good points, but by still broadcasting a WPA2 network you lose any benefit to the security enhancements of WPA3. A malicious attacker can attack the WPA2 network and gain access to the router. You can always create VLANs and isolated networks but most home routers don’t allow this. I would love for the Cams to support WPA3 , since that would only leave me with a thermostat and 3 TVs that don’t…So I would be very close to having a complete WPA3 network. At the moment , I have a SSID for WPA2 and WPA3 like we all talked about, just so it’s easier to eliminate the network once I can get all device on the WPA3.

1 Like