Does the Hub have to be manually reset everytime there is a power failure?

I’m having this issue now, even after the firmware that was supposed to address it. Lost power and Internet for a brief moment and now my hub won’t reconnect. I’ve power cycled it numerous times to no avail.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Anyone ever follow up on this?

Nope. Ended up having to redo the entire setup on my home monitoring system.

I took mine apart too. Hate how loud that speaker is. I opened the speaker, and put a rubber circle in it, to quieten it. Worked very well.

1 Like

I just went through a worthless session with support before finding this thread. Anyone from Wyze comment on this? This is a pretty big issue for a “security system”

1 Like

I called support and requested an RMA. The online help on this topic is about worthless but the call center folks fixed this and had a new one to me in about 3 days.

I had the same issue at least 5 times since I activated the hub. I had to reset it every time, Pressing and holding the rest button for 10 seconds while disconnected from power didn’t shut it down. Only way I got it fixed is through opening it up and manually disconnected the battery then reconnecting it. The hub came back online right away. We really need a proper fix for this.

1 Like

Well if I have to do it again, I’ll probably just pitch the whole thing. My experience with Wyze is that they care far more about pushing out new products than supporting what they’ve already sold. So I’m not holding my breath for anything to really happen with this. I’ve already canceled all my other Wyze orders, too. I’m tired of supporting this company when they don’t support me. Hopefully you all have better luck with them than I have.

I agree with you. I see people asking for other products, such as baby monitors and garage door openers, but they are not doing a very good job of improving. I see too much, roll it out at 80% cool and it takes years to get to even 90%.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue - usually when my internet provider has issues and my cable modem reboots multiple times. Another post/thread in the forums mentioned: Delete the hub from the app and then re-add it as if it’s a new install. I’ve done this a couple times and it worked without having to re-add the keypad or any of my sensors.

I called Wyze Support. They said this is normal behavior if it loses internet and to get a UPS for the router…might be going back to Simplisafe since they use cellular.

So, the expected behavior for the device that controls all components of a SECURITY SYSTEM is that if it loses Internet connection, even briefly… it has to be manually removed and readded?? If that’s what they’re saying - that they designed it like this and it’s not actually just a bug or something - that designer should be fired. Come on. Give me a break. But I guess that’s as good as any reason to replace it with something else.

2 Likes

That’s not the normal behavior for any other WiFi device I’ve ever used. Most will try to reconnect repeatedly until they establish a new connection. The same for a wired connection.

I think Wyze owes everyone using the Home Monitoring System a refund.

4 Likes

I agree with you 100%. I can’t figure out who to complain to at Wyze that isn’t Tier 1 Customer Support. Nothing against them as people but they are pretty worthless when it comes to an issue outside of their scripted responses.

I’ve been using Wyze cams since v1 and it has become clear they are more interested in getting new products out the door rather than improving what they got…RTSP took years and there is still nothing for the v3 cams. I suspect it will take them a long time to acknowledge this security problem as an actual problem.

I’ve just ordered some Eufy cams to compare but at this point I think I’ll be dropping Wyze products.

One other thing…I have a ups on my router and other devices. But that doesn’t help since my ISP (the only one available) doesn’t have a generator on the radio tower they use to provide service. If the power goes out in my area, it is only a matter of time before the ISP goes offline, sometimes for days.

Solutions?

Wyze needs to update their firmware to constantly refresh the internet connection if it’s dropped, either because if a power issue or an ISP issue. I really think the fundamental flaw in the design is the sole reliance on an internet connection. SimpliSafe did it right by having a cellular connection in addition to wifi.

1 Like

@WildBill, and for every one of those reasons you mention, that’s exactly why I am moving to Starlink as soon as I am in its footprint. Cost more? Yes, but 24/7 service.

Beyond UPS, though, my home is on solar with batteries. So, power no matter what.

Just looking online and Starlink seems to have outages as well. See where several people were offline until they rebooted the Starlink router. Nothing stays up 100% of the time and at some point this will affect the hub.

This is a fatal flaw for a security system. It has to be resilient against power outages and connectivity issues.

It sounds like a “feature” I just asked for a full refund.

1 Like